HD attempt at setup

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I am going to defend J63 Silesian Interlude and am considering to place one russian AFV on the level 2 hill on board 18 and another in the woods somewhere, and use a couple of 5/8 dummy stacks. In J63 the Germans enter from off-board.

I am trying to decide whether to make a HD attempt at setup with the level 2 AFV, but looking at the ASOP it seems that this attempt comes _before_ the non-OB given ? are placed. I interpret this as allowing the German player to look at the board when I am doing the HD maneuver attempt dr, so that I would need to conceal the other AFV with a OB-given ? to avoid revealing which stacks are dummies. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given the non OB ? are placed prior to the German viewing the map if he is entering from off board I don't think it matters. The dummy stacks cannot go for a hull down roll though.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
ASOP:
This bullet:
"‡ Attempt any HD Maneuver(s) (D4.22-.221)."

Comes before this one:
"First side (or the side “defending the beach”; G13.95) completes setup. "

So until your setup is completed - the German player does not get to see the board.

Also note that now (per errata from ASL Journal 11, rex text), you can record the HD status if the vehicle is concealed, A12.2:
"The BU, CE, TCA, HD status of a concealed vehicle may be secretly recorded at setup but must be revealed when the vehicle is unconcealed. "

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Thanks! Should I perform the dr in sight of the opponent, or could I use a judge?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always play as if it is secret....and I trust whoever is making the die roll.
Anything to enhance the FOW as long as it's legal is the way to go in my book. Also, if you can't trust each other to play the game with honesty (sure inadvertent "cheats" [read that 'I didn't know I couldn't do that] may occur), it's probably not worth playing anyway.

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Sure, I agree completely and locally I only play with people I trust completely. :)