HBO "The Pacific" DVD Box Set: Reviews?

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Did Santa drop the Pacific DVD or Blu-ray box set into anybody's stocking? Are the bonus historical features inside worth the price of admission?

Thanks for the opinions!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Well, I bought it as a gift for myself just before "our" Thanksgiving so I could watch while off work for four days. This DVD, the Bounding Fire Pacific War pack and a renewed interest in things Japanese will see me doing more on that front in 2011. I have enjoyed it thoroughly and have added John Basilone now to William Hawkins to those heroes I worship.

I have not got through the bonus features yet. Thanksgiving was too short and here I am typing into a computer instead of watching the rest of the DVD.

I did get a similar DVD from my German brother-in-law, "Am gruenen Strand der Spree" filmed in 1956 that was quite a hit where friends discuss their wartime experiences with flashbacks to even earlier German militarism.[video=youtube;GQM-3pnO9-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQM-3pnO9-8[/video]

Last edited:

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Did Santa drop the Pacific DVD or Blu-ray box set into anybody's stocking? Are the bonus historical features inside worth the price of admission?

Thanks for the opinions!
My teenage Kids bought it for thier Japanese mother as a Christmas gift :crosseye:

And She Loved it! :rolleyes:

The world is stranger than we know.

I enjoyed watching and while I found it somewhat disjointed it certainly did not over-glorify war nor step away from the horror a tragedy. A good effort if not as great as BoB

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks for the opinions!
Got it and just finished watching Part-10 last night. Fantastic, loved it and I plan to restart the episodes Friday.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just watched first two episodes so far, already read Sledges book and got Helmet for my pillow for Christmas as well as the boxed set so all set up.

Ian

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I found it a bit dull...
But I'm gonna watch it again when it's repeated to see if it grows on me

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I held off buying it after dropping heavy hints to the wife. Looking for it inthe salesmnow…

Calimero

a.k.a "jp"
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I've heard mixed reviexs, esp. in comparison with Band of Brothers, so I am interested in your opinion too, guys !
Thx
jp

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I got the Blue-Ray for Christmas and have watched about half of the episodes so far. The Blue-Ray on mondo TV is Really Stunning. I have liked what I have seen so far.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
I've heard mixed reviexs, esp. in comparison with Band of Brothers, so I am interested in your opinion too, guys !
Thx
jp
Own both sets of DVDs. I would give BoB a 9/10, while The Pacific would get only around a 7/10.

BoB I found a much better experience. Not that The Pacific is rubbish - it is good, but compared to BoB it fails to shine.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought it and actually completed watching it two nights ago. I quite enjoyed it, but it wasn't nearly as good as Band of Brothers. There was something about Band of Brothers that was far superior:
- maybe that they followed a single unit the whole time rather than a fractured approach between 3 different units/major characters
- perhaps direction was better in BoB (or casting) in that understanding who was who was easier done. For the longest time I couldn't decide if there was Leckie and Chuckler, or if they were the same person. They looked too similar with their helmets on - I actually didn't officially figure it out until the very end credits of episode 10, though I went back and forth throughout (actually, I probably did figure it out when Leckie came back from the hospital).
- While the soldiers appeared to not be having a good time, the direction/writing simply didn't go far enough in The Pacific, I think. I watched with the 2 minute historical background blurbs turned on (and have very little historical knowledge of the PTO), and I wouldn't have known that these guys went through hell and back by just watching the show. It wasn't enough - the fact that they were on these islands for months at a time wasn't sufficiently thrown into our faces. I kinda wondered why Leckie broke, why there was a suicide right in front of him (which was the biggest indication that what they were going through on Pavuvu sucked, but it felt like there was not sufficient context leading up to it), and especially why Gunny of the old guard broke.

Perhaps there was too much of a time frame to cover in The Pacific in BoB and it would have been too difficult to follow a single unit, I dunno. It seems like they may have been better off covering LESS of the war as a whole and more of certain important individual parts.

Last edited:

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got the Blue-Ray for Christmas and have watched about half of the episodes so far. The Blue-Ray on mondo TV is Really Stunning. I have liked what I have seen so far.
Amen Brother. Just finished watching Part 8 while tending to my baby daughter. Pretty hard-core during the episode on Iwo.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Got it in advance...Just waiting for the "special edition" to be released.

Beside that, i got the soundtrack of "The Pacific"...marveless.

spqr202

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not ASL...could this be moved to community chit chat please? Besides the Pacific sucked. ;)

Stardragon99

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Haven't seen it myself but people say it's not very realistic. Among many places where this view is expressed:
... assuming you would like to skip over the overwhelmingly number of positive 5 star reviews.

BTW Portal i ordered at amazon.com, not amazon.ca for this one ... half price.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
... assuming you would like to skip over the overwhelmingly number of positive 5 star reviews.

BTW Portal i ordered at amazon.com, not amazon.ca for this one ... half price.
Read the review and he came accross a real dick, "did you know that", "did you know other", yep in fact I did as I do more than read wiki his main source of info which he classed as RESEARCH, maybe the film makers should have used that as their principle source LOL