HBO "The Pacific" DVD Box Set: Reviews?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is funny that you should mention that because that is the exact truth: I have not yet watched episodes 9 and 10 (scheduled this week). My comments about how the Germans are depicted in BoB might then be off the mark. Even from the 8 first episodes there is really nothing to be shocked about, at least compared to the vast majority of ETO war movies.
I think BoB set out more to celebrate the soldiers of E Company rather than shock us about the war. Private Ryan set the tone for the realism that is our hook. I hope to never see another American Halftrack with a German cross on it and expected to think it's a 251/1 etc.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It is funny that you should mention that because that is the exact truth: I have not yet watched episodes 9 and 10 (scheduled this week). My comments about how the Germans are depicted in BoB might then be off the mark. Even from the 8 first episodes there is really nothing to be shocked about, at least compared to the vast majority of ETO war movies.
I think you'll enjoy the last two episodes a great deal; they tie the rest of the series together and serve to humanize the "other side" a bit. I won't say anything else to ruin it for you!

Arnaud

Reaction score
I've only just finished episode 4 with much of the fighting ehead of me but I have seen very little empathy towards the Japs thus far.
It would anyway be quite difficult for us western people to sympathize with the state of mind and moral values of WWII Japanese soldiers. From our perspective, their treatment of civilians, POWs and the total lack of consideration for their own losses simply cannot be grasped. Rather than attempting to make the enemy look "normal", The Pacific proceeds to slowly downgrade the behaviour and morality of the "good guys", especially in the later episodes. I liked this nihilistic approach better, whereas Easy Company always remains this bunch of heroic comrades who, despite their occasional breakdowns and mistakes, always seem to make the right choices given the circumstances.

Was it episode two of BoB that showed the American/German recalled to the Fatherland chatting with a E boy from the same area? I think if you look for it, you have plenty of situations that show they are normal and some empathy. The shooting of the boy soldier by Winters already mentioned, in fact that whole report writing episode is one of reflection.
Yeah, you got a point. I guess that more empathy than what is already present would destroy the immersion factor.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It would anyway be quite difficult for us western people to sympathize with the state of mind and moral values of WWII Japanese soldiers. From our perspective, their treatment of civilians, POWs and the total lack of consideration for their own losses simply cannot be grasped. Rather than attempting to make the enemy look "normal", The Pacific proceeds to slowly downgrade the behaviour and morality of the "good guys", especially in the later episodes. I liked this nihilistic approach better, whereas Easy Company always remains this bunch of heroic comrades who, despite their occasional breakdowns and mistakes, always seem to make the right choices given the circumstances.

Yeah, you got a point. I guess that more empathy than what is already present would destroy the immersion factor.
The treatment of POW's and the lack of consideration of their own losses or loss of their own life I can grasp through understanding their take on life. Some of the modern day suicide bombers etc. if you can accept the life view they have also makes sence of what they are doing (calling it cowardly just makes me scratch my head) but how they treated civilians (especially Asian) I can not understand. The rape and murder has nothing to do with the Culture of the Japanese as such, more the depravity of the training and treatment of the men. It's empowering to have a loaded rifle in your hands.
It's easier to understand their treatment of the Europeans as their leaders (like ours) had force fed them with a beleif that the whites were inferiour and benief equal treatment. Asians and especially Japanese were portrayed as animal in 1930's culture and the reports from China could not have dispelled any of that feeling.

Episode 4 of Pac showed off hand bayonetting of Jap wounded which was ordered and received no comment whilst Leckie and another looked on in disbelief as another Marine strangled another wounded. i.e. it's ok to kill them, they are Japs but dude use the right gear!!! Clearly some of these Japs could have been taken prisoner but by this point they were used to total war and would need the enermy to try and surrender to even stand a chance. Gritty but well documented. Which episode do they start to collect ears?

Ian