HBO "The Pacific" DVD Box Set: Reviews?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I bought it and actually completed watching it two nights ago. I quite enjoyed it, but it wasn't nearly as good as Band of Brothers. There was something about Band of Brothers that was far superior:
- maybe that they followed a single unit the whole time rather than a fractured approach between 3 different units/major characters
- perhaps direction was better in BoB (or casting) in that understanding who was who was easier done. For the longest time I couldn't decide if there was Leckie and Chuckler, or if they were the same person. They looked too similar with their helmets on - I actually didn't officially figure it out until the very end credits of episode 10, though I went back and forth throughout (actually, I probably did figure it out when Leckie came back from the hospital).
- While the soldiers appeared to not be having a good time, the direction/writing simply didn't go far enough in The Pacific, I think. I watched with the 2 minute historical background blurbs turned on (and have very little historical knowledge of the PTO), and I wouldn't have known that these guys went through hell and back by just watching the show. It wasn't enough - the fact that they were on these islands for months at a time wasn't sufficiently thrown into our faces. I kinda wondered why Leckie broke, why there was a suicide right in front of him (which was the biggest indication that what they were going through on Pavuvu sucked, but it felt like there was not sufficient context leading up to it), and especially why Gunny of the old guard broke.

Perhaps there was too much of a time frame to cover in The Pacific in BoB and it would have been too difficult to follow a single unit, I dunno. It seems like they may have been better off covering LESS of the war as a whole and more of certain important individual parts.
My friend, as usual, you hit the nail on the head.
It didn't come across as horrific, terrible etc. It comes across as 'uncomfortable', perhaps 'nasty'.
Whereas in BOB the two episodes in Bastogne...they really strike home
Just IMHO

The Pacific is good...
But I thought BOB was A1 superb

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is anyone going to answer the original poster's question?

We've all debated the merits of this series before. The question was regarding the value of the extras on the DVD set. I'd be interested in that as well. As someone who found the series lacklustre on the first run through but thought that maybe it would grow on me a second time, I have a hard time justifying the purchase of the set just to find out, unless the extras are really amazing.

So the question was - are they?

The Band of Brothers extras were quite good - I really liked Ron Livingston's video diary which was in-depth, funny, and revealing with regards to how the main cast did the "boot camp" for the show. Some of the featurettes were very well done as well. How do the Pacific's "extras" compare?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since no one else has jumped in, I'll add my two cents. There are three special features/extras: Profiles of The Pacific, Making The Pacific, and Anatomy of the Pacific War. I found Profiles the most interesting as it provides more of the background of many of the Marines portrayed in the series. It includes interviews with friends and family members, and older footage from interviews that Sledge and Leckie did before they passed away. The Making The Pacific feature is the short that ran between movies on HBO leading up to the airing of the series, and I think occasionally while it was on. An interesting look at how they made the series, but I was hoping it would be expanded on the DVD set. The folks behind the series explain why they took the approach they did (they understood it was going to be different from BoB). The Anatomy feature is a short review of why the war in the Pacific was fought the way it was. It includes clips from vets, academics and the production folks - probably not new information to most on this forum. Are the extras worth the price? That's probably an individual decision. I was able to pick up my DVD set at a discount (coupon from one of the local US chain bookstores), so the choice for me was easy.

Hope this helps.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Since no one else has jumped in, I'll add my two cents. There are three special features/extras: Profiles of The Pacific, Making The Pacific, and Anatomy of the Pacific War. I found Profiles the most interesting as it provides more of the background of many of the Marines portrayed in the series. It includes interviews with friends and family members, and older footage from interviews that Sledge and Leckie did before they passed away. The Making The Pacific feature is the short that ran between movies on HBO leading up to the airing of the series, and I think occasionally while it was on. An interesting look at how they made the series, but I was hoping it would be expanded on the DVD set. The folks behind the series explain why they took the approach they did (they understood it was going to be different from BoB). The Anatomy feature is a short review of why the war in the Pacific was fought the way it was. It includes clips from vets, academics and the production folks - probably not new information to most on this forum. Are the extras worth the price? That's probably an individual decision. I was able to pick up my DVD set at a discount (coupon from one of the local US chain bookstores), so the choice for me was easy.

Hope this helps.
That's a great review and exactly what was being asked for. Thanks very much.

The Making the Pacific feature ran on HBO Canada, as you mention, before the series premiered as part of the run-up. So only two bits of new content, and one of them not related in its entirely to the producation aspects of the series.

The interviews might be worth a look for curiosity's sake, though some have probably already found Sledge and Leckie on YouTube and satisfied themselves.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That's a great review and exactly what was being asked for. Thanks very much.

The Making the Pacific feature ran on HBO Canada, as you mention, before the series premiered as part of the run-up. So only two bits of new content, and one of them not related in its entirely to the producation aspects of the series.

The interviews might be worth a look for curiosity's sake, though some have probably already found Sledge and Leckie on YouTube and satisfied themselves.
Are you actually going to watch the series or just write another book about watching it instead? :p

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Are you actually going to watch the series or just write another book about watching it instead? :p
I'll wait for you to write a book, and then write mine and have it outsell yours. That's pretty much how I roll. ;)

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought several of the episodes were a bit boring. Overall, liked Band of Brothers much better

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

Hope this helps.
Nice review. I look forward to finishing seeing it All then :)

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought several of the episodes were a bit boring. Overall, liked Band of Brothers much better
As a prior Marine... I hate to agree with you, but agree I must.

BOB much better than PACIFIC.

HOWEVER, on the war movie rating scale....Pacific absolutely rocks vs. say, GODS AND GENERALS or THIN RED LINE (1998 version)

JMHO...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'll wait for you to write a book, and then write mine and have it outsell yours. That's pretty much how I roll. ;)
Edit: I'll wait for you to color a book, and then write mine and have it outsell yours. That's pretty much how I roll. ;)

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Edit: I'll wait for you to color a book, and then write mine and have it outsell yours. That's pretty much how I roll. ;)
Oh yeah! Well, how would you like it if Tojo killed you! :angry:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

HOWEVER, on the war movie rating scale....Pacific absolutely rocks vs. say, GODS AND GENERALS or THIN RED LINE (1998 version)

JMHO...

Mark DV
Ada, MI
I really enjoyed Thin Red Line
Odd how people see films differently

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I really enjoyed Thin Red Line
Odd how people see films differently
Not a big fan of Thin Red Line, possibly the same problem some have with BoB v Paccific caused this from watching Shaving Ryan's Privates in a simular time frame.

Ian

sparty

Gamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently finished watching all of these episodes for the first time.

I have a few thoughts.

1. This is not Band of Brothers and does not try to be it in any way. Band of Brothers felt like a "throwback" to WW2 hero movies where the good guys are good and the bad guys are bad. You root for the troopers and they perform heroic action after heroic action in the line of fire.

The Pacific portrays the mental and physical drag on these guys slogging through the island hopping campaigns of the Pacific. The intense stress and grueling physical challenges are portrayed in a very shocking manner. I have never been in combat so I can't comment on the realism, however, it had an air of authenticity to it I suppose. The bad guys are still pretty darn bad, but the good guys are a far grayer shade of white than in BoB. Each episode as the series went on got sadder and sadder to be honest.

2. The series is filled with haunting images and scenes. Suicide, men broken from combat in both physical and mental spirit, and gruesome gore. Each element is a layer upon which the horror of the Pacific Theater is brought to life. In these episodes it's far less Axis vs. Allies but often Man vs himself which is far more disturbing. The intense internal conflict is almost over portrayed on each of the actor's faces and circumstances. The plut, plut, plut as blood spurts out the top of a Japanese soldier's head which has been sheared in half while Marines take a break in the bunker. A desperate plea from a mother strapped with explosives to take her baby right before she explodes over the Marines to signal the start of a massive counter-attack. They're scenes from a movie, but I guess represent actual experiences? (I haven't read the books on which these episodes were based.)

3. Loss and unease. The whole series is really one of loss and unease with what was sacrificed by both sides and how it played out. The portrayal of Chesty Puller throughout the series is very telling. He goes from the leading from the front Marine bravado to a worn out feeble old man in the 3 appearances he makes. For the Marine Corps most decorated soldier you'd think he'd be Gung Ho from start to finish. I was uneasy with the vivid imagery and anti-war message. I can't account for the books, as I've said, but I think war is it's own anti-war message enough without jamming it home over and over.

Nobody is comfortable with war except those who aren't tasked with fighting it or making decisions about it. This series seems to reach out and smack you with its horrors over and over and with such regularity that it almost feels manipulative.

Overall, it was well worth watching. Be prepared for some truly gut wrenching scenes throughout. This is no Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Thin Red Line, or like most anything you've seen before. It's unflinching and challenges the viewer every episode to process the experiences of these Marines. In the end, it's about true bravery and what it takes to remain humane in the face of inhumane circumstances.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a big fan of Thin Red Line, possibly the same problem some have with BoB v Paccific caused this from watching Shaving Ryan's Privates in a simular time frame.

Ian
Eh, I wouldn't think of it that way. Those that go into Thin Red Line expecting a straight war genre film will probably be dissapointed. Malick is working above and beyond many modern directors, and that work probably shouldn't be lumped in as a war genre film. It's more than that.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I have a few thoughts.

1. This is not Band of Brothers and does not try to be it in any way. Band of Brothers felt like a "throwback" to WW2 hero movies where the good guys are good and the bad guys are bad. You root for the troopers and they perform heroic action after heroic action in the line of fire.

The Pacific portrays the mental and physical drag on these guys slogging through the island hopping campaigns of the Pacific. The intense stress and grueling physical challenges are portrayed in a very shocking manner. I have never been in combat so I can't comment on the realism, however, it had an air of authenticity to it I suppose. The bad guys are still pretty darn bad, but the good guys are a far grayer shade of white than in BoB. Each episode as the series went on got sadder and sadder to be honest.

2. The series is filled with haunting images and scenes. Suicide, men broken from combat in both physical and mental spirit, and gruesome gore. Each element is a layer upon which the horror of the Pacific Theater is brought to life. In these episodes it's far less Axis vs. Allies but often Man vs himself which is far more disturbing. The intense internal conflict is almost over portrayed on each of the actor's faces and circumstances. The plut, plut, plut as blood spurts out the top of a Japanese soldier's head which has been sheared in half while Marines take a break in the bunker. A desperate plea from a mother strapped with explosives to take her baby right before she explodes over the Marines to signal the start of a massive counter-attack. They're scenes from a movie, but I guess represent actual experiences? (I haven't read the books on which these episodes were based.)

3. Loss and unease. The whole series is really one of loss and unease with what was sacrificed by both sides and how it played out. The portrayal of Chesty Puller throughout the series is very telling. He goes from the leading from the front Marine bravado to a worn out feeble old man in the 3 appearances he makes. For the Marine Corps most decorated soldier you'd think he'd be Gung Ho from start to finish. I was uneasy with the vivid imagery and anti-war message. I can't account for the books, as I've said, but I think war is it's own anti-war message enough without jamming it home over and over.

Nobody is comfortable with war except those who aren't tasked with fighting it or making decisions about it. This series seems to reach out and smack you with its horrors over and over and with such regularity that it almost feels manipulative.

Overall, it was well worth watching. Be prepared for some truly gut wrenching scenes throughout. This is no Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Thin Red Line, or like most anything you've seen before. It's unflinching and challenges the viewer every episode to process the experiences of these Marines. In the end, it's about true bravery and what it takes to remain humane in the face of inhumane circumstances.
Some interesting points, particularly in point number 1. I think it's good to say that it shouldn't be compared to Band of Brothers in the sense of what it is, but it can be in terms of quality. My take on your point number 1 is that, sure, that was the intent, but I think the direction and writing didn't properly provide us (or, at least me) with the truly gut-wrenching feeling that it deserved. I saw actions happening and understood what I was probably supposed to feel about it, but there was very little "why" to it.

Despite the negative, I did quite enjoy it, but I felt BoB was a much better delivery.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

I have a few thoughts.

Closer scrutiny of the series would reveal scenes of an American officer looting German houses, a U.S. officer with a drinking problem (who in the end never fires his weapon in combat, as he is a staff officer), French soldiers murdering German prisoners, American indifference to the French war crimes, American incompetence at the junior leadership level (Captain Sobel and Lieutenant Dyke are highlighted, but the platoon leaders are also shown as a mixed bag of mostly ineffective officers, including one who can't lead his men on night compass marches, and another whose men cheer when he is sent back to the U.S. as they have no confidence in him), mismanagement bordering on criminality (the ordering of worthless patrols for no gain, and then the falsification of patrol reports), etc., a case of hysterical blindness under fire (albeit 'magically' cured), a U.S. officer reputed to have killed German prisoners and one of his own men, etc.

BoB was scripted in a 'realistic' style with a de-emphasis on combat and "action-adventure" and if one reviews the episodes finds very little screen time devoted to battle scenes. If there is "heroism under fire" it is because the events were based on actual occurences.

The Pacific was ostensibly based on actual people as well, but none of the characters were fully fleshed out, perhaps out of a fear of treading on their fame (they were all much more famous than the relatively anonymous Company E men). Personally, I didn't like, care or connect to a single character in The Pacific. They were uninteresting, thinly drawn and unsympathetic from the start. You can't hang an entire series on how well you make blood drip from an empty skull and all the CGI LVTs in the world won't connect the audience to the people riding in them.

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score

JMHO...

Mark DV
Ada, MI
Say it ain't so :cry: Where is your loyalty to the Corps? :stirthepot: Just giving you a hard time.

The Pacific was nominated for 23 Emmy's and won 8 while BoB only won 6 Emmy's so they must have done something right to earn that many awards. IMHO I think trying to compare TP to BoB is like comparing apples to oranges. Different theater of operations with different rules of engagement. BoB followed just some of the men (officer charactors fleshed out more) of easy company while TP covered a few men (Enlisted charactors fleshed out more) from different regiments of the 1st (and later 5th) Marine Division. Both series have their faults but I don't think we will see a series like these again for a long time that come this close to historical accuracy & budget. I have both sets on DVD (BlueRay) and will enjoy watching them for years to come until someday maybe something will come out again that covers WWII this well. Until then I am looking forward to the release of the 2 Hobbit movies. :D