HazMo 10 Fresh Grist - 2021 Albany Tournament Round 2

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If one were to compare/contrast JR’s defense to mine I would say “everybody or nobody”. JR has few vulnerabilities on turn one and lots of troops are getting concealed, giving up a some ground. My defence has lots of vulnerabilities (hopefully too many to take advantage of) and puts almost everybody on the line with little concealment but gives up little ground. The Chinese can give up a squad a turn to block key hexes and still come out like roses 🌹. I like the chaos to start early, disrupt the attack, look for leverage and get ahead of the curve (so to speak) before my opponent does.
[/QUOTE]

BRUTAL setup. Just plain brutal, Bob! 😢 LOL

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Well... what happened?
Not done yet but I got to give credit where credit is due:

Vic fires Japanese 50mm mortar into rubble hex with my 20L AA gun: Snakes, CH gun gone.

Later on the same mortar, fires at a fortified stone building location with 37* gun - Snakes, CH gun gone.

Even later THAT GODDAMN SAME MORTAR on fires WP at a Fortified Building location with a 447/LMG and still HIP 75 ART gun- snakes, WP crit, neither of the units take the 4MC.

The 37mm gun scored a CH at the squad operating the mortar him but I rolled 11 on the IFT - and yes he has been in an open ground hex all this time.

God I love this game.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
God I love this game.
Take heart from the fact that it has happened to us all 😁

The one that still gives me nightmares is the game with a CH on my gun, he generated three heroes, placed a demo charge and rolled snakes which not only killed the guys it was placed on but also people on the first floor when the building rubbled 🙄

At that point I quit..............

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
my IJA suffered a humiliating lost to Sven. first two shorts from knee MTR: no WP, no Smoke. lost FT on first shot. got two ineffective shots from HMG/MMG death star but they quickly went down with yahtzee. banzai on the IJA left was effective in gaining that area and VC building but gave him plenty of reinforcements to hold the church area. IJA had little left by the end IJA turn 5 and there were heaps of KMT reinforcements, I failed my last PMC

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, it's tempting to banzai from the start, but you don't want to give the Chinese too many reinforcements, either. It's a tough call. :(

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
my IJA suffered a humiliating lost to Sven. first two shorts from knee MTR: no WP, no Smoke. lost FT on first shot. got two ineffective shots from HMG/MMG death star but they quickly went down with yahtzee. banzai on the IJA left was effective in gaining that area and VC building but gave him plenty of reinforcements to hold the church area. IJA had little left by the end IJA turn 5 and there were heaps of KMT reinforcements, I failed my last PMC
Yeah, it seems to be a tough one for the Japanese to grok and bad luck never helps. Maybe bid for how many 3-3-7s and 1-2-7s to give up and be the Chinese. The Japanese start with only 3/4 of its force so its about 12 squads attacking 14 squads, not the usual 3:2 ratio for an attacker. Plus the Chinese get more cool stuff most every time something good happens, gets to wear’in thin, lol.

Last edited:

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, it seems to be a tough one for the Japanese to grok and bad luck never helps. Maybe bid for how many 3-3-7s and 1-2-7s to give up and be the Chinese. The Japanese start with only 3/4 of its force so its about 12 squads attacking 14 squads, not the usual 3:2 ratio for an attacker. Plus the Chinese get more cool stuff most every time something good happens, gets to wear’in thin, lol.
A cool bid might be +1 drms to the GMD reinforcement rolls. You bid three, and win, and three times your opponent can call a +1 on your MMC, SMC, or SW roll. Maybe he can spend them all at once! Of course, if you want the IJA, you can bid -1 drms.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!

I played it twice. One win each way.

The Japanese win was an overwhelming victory.

The Chinese win was very fortunate when a late turn 347/ leader advanced into a 1 factor Chinese halfsquad in the church. No ambush, mutual destruction left the building in Chinese hands.
Rich, that doesn’t surprise me because you’re one of the best Japanese players I know.
On second thought you are the best.

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich, that doesn’t surprise me because you’re one of the best Japanese players I know.
Thanks Bob!

I actually thought that it would play about fifty-fifty. Just, shows you what I know.

Your upfront Chinese defense looks very formitable, neither I or my opponent's defenses were as good in our two playings.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Japanese need a little smoke and WP just to make it fair. Idea, SSR the special ammo depletion rule to say each gun has at least one shot with each special ammo and the TH DR determines if the special ammo is retained. This means each tube has at least one ‘round’ of each kind of special ammo, it’s up to the player to use them with the best odds (not the worst odds) and it stops that double DR BS.

Another might be to let the Japanese enter reinforcements on turn 1 or 2.

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good suggestions. You'll notice in Pack 2, we did something along the same lines in Hazmo19 ("Mao's Fifth Column"), where the attacker is practically guaranteed SMOKE through the combination of Elite Depletion # plus sD on the 3 tanks plus the Assault Engineers. There are some scenarios out there in the ASL world where the Attacker is just f***d if he doesn't get any SMOKE, and we're sensitive to that. haha!

Last edited by a moderator:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn, that's quite a compliment! We gotta play sometime, because I've always said I play best with the Japanese. :) Probably due to the fact that the (Japanese) wife and I go into H-t-H on a semi-regular basis. 🤣

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True, but due to the urban terrain and the fact that the Japanese go first (plus it's REALLY dangerous to cross the street most of the time), the Japanese will usually have a 2-1 or 3-1 local numerical superiority . . . add that to the fact that they don't break, there's great cover, they often have higher morale (due to being 4-4-8's or being part of a limited Banzai Charge) and the numbers don't seem so bad. Or at least, that's the way we figured it. :)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gotta read THIS!
Gor Gor (Japanese) won in a rather fun game. One highlight near the end was a DC hero created in the middle of a banzai charge that rubbled a key building with lots of Chinese wiped out. Sounds like lots of banzai charges at the end, not so much the beginning, makes sense. Paul lost the 9-2 to a ‘12’.

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gor Gor (Japanese) won in a rather fun game. One highlight near the end was a DC hero created in the middle of a banzai charge that rubbled a key building with lots of Chinese wiped out. Sounds like lots of banzai charges at the end, not so much the beginning, makes sense. Paul lost the 9-2 to a ‘12’.
I saw that! (BTW, how's life in Vietnam, Rambo??? haha :) )