HazMo 10 Fresh Grist - 2021 Albany Tournament Round 2

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
So we are finally done with Vic.

Vic played carefully in the beginning and I fell back, so the early and middle turns were more like jockeying into positions.

On turn 6 Vic finally launched first the tanks one succumbing to CCRF by 9-2 led squad, one falling in to cellar but breaching a fortified location- Then couple of DC heroes, another breach, Finally two banzais and he got into my final bastion in P8 building.

Lots of mayhem and CC. For my 6th I got to roll for 6 reinforcment squads, but a well placed HMG firelane and the FB kept my reinforcement squads at bay. Still there was more CC and I was twice one pip short in eliminating Vics troops in the last victory buildings - this allowed him to maneuver himself to victory on the last Japanese turn as most of my troops were tied in melees. I would have needed to take two buildings back on my last move and I conceded.

One of the best games I've played recently. A great scenario, requiring different approach from both parties.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For my 6th I got to roll for 6 reinforcment squads

Whoa!!! I've NEVER seen anything more than 2 reinforcement squads on any one given turn in this scenario. Holy cow!! 🤣

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Goldman has selected this as one of the scenarios in his Chicago tourny.

So if JR is playing in it again this year - don't choose this one to play against him 😁
I didn't know there were any ASL tourneys in Chicago - what's it called? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it . . .

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't know there were any ASL tourneys in Chicago - what's it called? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it . . .
It is the ASL Open, always held in the spring for 30 years or so.

David Goldman runs a good tourney.

Last year and in 2022 it is a VASL tourney.

Webpage "aslopen.org/"

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is the ASL Open, always held in the spring for 30 years or so.

David Goldman runs a good tourney.

Last year and in 2022 it is a VASL tourney.

Webpage "aslopen.org/"
I've heard of the ASL Open - I just didn't know it was in Chicago. That is so cool. There are 3 Hazmo scenarios included in the list this time around - hoping (selfishly) there will be an AAR or two coming from that event . . . :)

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
For my 6th I got to roll for 6 reinforcment squads

Whoa!!! I've NEVER seen anything more than 2 reinforcement squads on any one given turn in this scenario. Holy cow!! 🤣
Yeah Japanese player turn 6 was epic. Vic threw everything he had at me. Tank creating a breach on a fortified location, DC hero creating another, two banzais- i suffered a lot as well, losing the 9-2 in CC and he got a foothold in the last victory buildings.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Japanese player turn 6 was epic. Vic threw everything he had at me. Tank creating a breach on a fortified location, DC hero creating another, two banzais- i suffered a lot as well, losing the 9-2 in CC and he got a foothold in the last victory buildings.
Turn 6 indeed was one of the most intricate and complex turns I've played (in that the moves at the end had to be considered while putting together the pieces for the different banzai charges that would occur). Here's a summary of the background for how we got there and then how it went down....

How we got here:

Given what was said about this before, as the attacker, the big strategy change for the SSR rule in this game was to be very conservative in the beginning of the game, trying to move without giving shots with negative modifiers (particularly vs. Mr. 9-2) and actually trying to avoid HtH CC which can create a lot of losses.
So, in the first 5 turns, I only had 3 buildings, but did get into the center building and thanks to a WP round (actually a CH), managed to get across the street on the top of the board (Q2/R2). Keeping a conservative strategy, kept the majority of reinforcements off the board. In my turn 5, my tanks were not in position to do what they needed to do, so all of this pent up energy would play out in an immensely wild & complex Turn 6.

Up to this point, only 3 reinforcement squads would come in (all cx on the top, and all would be in HtH cc with the cx hat on). This also meant the airplane would be on the board for the major reinforcement. Also, at this point, both sides lost ~4 squads to attrition and one of the mortars went on a CH tear and took out two guns.

So here we are, the below view shows us the starting point for my turn 6 (the tank/squad/lmg are in Q10).

There is a strong position in the lower building, I correctly suspected there was another fortified building location in O7 and there was a hidden 75* gun in P7
Prep fire & Initial moves:

For preps, what worked well, the MTR didn’t get smoke, but got a CH WP round on P7 breaking the squad and revealing the gun (again, this is 4 MTR CH’s in the game, including two on the guns, so always fire these things). The two MMG’s on top fire at the commissar and roll high.

The initial move:

The simple move on the top is one of my last reinforcers goes into Q2 and the HS shown moves thru Q3 to bump the concealment off the cx units (giving me a 2-1 edge in CC). The commissar’s team would first fire on this and these forces would eventually go in and ambush/eliminate the cx’d 337.

Chaos then ensues in the bottom.

We lead off with a tank charge, the aim is to poke two holes in the fortified buildings ahead of a banzai. The lead tank succumbs to a 9-2 lead street fighting attempt, leaving the 2nd tank to roll into the 9-2’s hex where it promptly falls into the cellar for elimination (no CS in this case).

This sets us up for Banzai number 1.

A 3 hex banzai charge ensues. A DC hero spins off, going for the 9-2 who spits out a 6-4 FF shot to eliminate that threat. The squad on the bottom enters P10, stripe/elr’s and is eliminated in cc. The parent 448 with a dc charges ends up striped in the 9-2 hex, throws the remaining DC in his own hex, no result on both ends, and then assassinates the 9-2 in hth cc while being eliminated by a counter 3-1 hth down 2 roll. The 7+1/447 takes a 12 down 2, eliminating the leader and stripe/CR on the squad who then ends up in the guns location (winning in hth cc).

Which brings us to Banzai #2, chaos in the middle.
This charge would also be led by a DC hero who would breach the final fortified building location. Allowing his squad to enter and tie up this location in HtH cc for 3 phases. The HS on the top will be final fired upon by the commissar whose team would then break in FPF when the HS enters it’s hex. In the end this charge was highly successful.

Final moves: Now that everything was tied up, some simple moves occurred. The 10-1/228/HMG moseyed down the road to set up in L7, the 347 in R6 went to the ground level of P5 to enforce FTR and claim that building. The 447/LMG team hung out in their location and then stepped onto the road block as insurance, in case things went really badly in cc that he could impede an end run counterattack into the back buildings.

Going into the CC phase, this game was very much up in the air and could break either way, for me the most important roll was against the 9-2 (need a 6 to win/7 to CR) which turned out successful.

This is where the turn ended up, with 6 reinforcement rolls coming on the board (yes, the 6 reinforcement die rolls!!!.. but with an airplane and only 2 turns left).

There were still 9 squads out there to counterattack, the central building was reinforced and a concealed 70 with a set of 447 friends would jump into cc vs hex M7 in the next half turn, so this game was still wide open.

In my opinion, if we played this sequence 10 times, the defending side would likely come out the winner in 6 or 7 cases, but as stated in our log files, being involved in a complex and infinitely interesting game like this that is decided in cc in the final turn is a win for both players regardless of the outcome and is a reason to share some ASL gold here.

Many thanks to Tuomo for an excellent playing of this great game.

V

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Up to this point, only 3 reinforcement squads would come in (all cx on the top, and all would be in HtH cc with the cx hat on). This also meant the airplane would be on the board for the major reinforcement.

Wow . . . amazing. To paraphrase Django: "I like the way you KILL, boy . . ." 🤣

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rereading this excellent AAR, I realize that JR put his AA Gun in an upper level of a Building ("and the Oerlikon upstairs to cover the approach"). That's not allowed, even in a Fortified Location (I'll be the first to admit that the rules for Guns in Buildings are kind of intricate): B23.93 GUNS: A Fortified Building differs from a building in that any ART/AT/INF Guns ≤ 76mm may set up in the fortified upper levels of a multi-level stone Fortified Building.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Up to this point, only 3 reinforcement squads would come in (all cx on the top, and all would be in HtH cc with the cx hat on). This also meant the airplane would be on the board for the major reinforcement.

Wow . . . amazing. To paraphrase Django: "I like the way you KILL, boy . . ." 🤣
Close...........

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The image of his setup shows the Gun in a Fortified Building Location, so I believe it is legal.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The image of his setup shows the Gun in a Fortified Building Location, so I believe it is legal.
It's an AA Gun. Only ART/AT/INF that are </= 76mm may set up in upper level fortified buildings. I believe you could possibly be remembering RB/VotG rules where the option is expanded (didn't check the complete wording though). Without an SSR to allow AA Guns to also be set up in upper level fortified buildings it is NA.