Country
llUnited States
Scenario

HazMo 10 Fresh Grist

Opponent

Paul Chamberland

Renaissance Man

Situation

This is the dawn of WWII, on the outskirts of Shanghai in September 1937. Paul’s IJA was on the attack with a dozen first liners, three 448 Assault Engineers, an HMG, a pair of mediums, some LMGs, a pair of 50mm mortars, two DCs, and a flamethrower. He had four leaders out front and two Chi-Ros in support.

Keep your Co-Prosperity Sphere to yourself

Opposing this mob, I had ten first liners, four 447s, an MMG, three LMGs, a pair of ATRs, and a host of hardware including 37mm and 75mm artillery pieces, a 20L Oerlikon, and a Vickers 6-ton tank. I had great leadership, with a 7-0, an 8-0 Commissar, and a mighty 9-2. I also had two Wire counters, a pair of roadblocks, and three fortified building locations to help me hold the center of the board 53 town.

To win, Paul had to take six of the seven multi-hex buildings (he started with one in hand). The multi-hexers were stone and the rest of the buildings wooden by SSR. Paul could start with 75% of his force (his choice) on board with the balance trickling in beginning on turn three of our seven turns, with the of delaying some reinforcements in exchange for a fighter bomber with bombs.

Gentle probing

My starting force seemed a little light, but an SSR allowed me to ‘buy’ reinforcements: for every three CVP I inflicted, I could purchase a squad (randomly determined to be a 336, 337, or 447) with the possibility of a support weapon and/or leadership (2/3 chance of each). I could buy multiple MMCs at once but only got one roll each for SWs and leaders per turn. On top of all that, all my 447s were automatically Dare-Death squads, no assignment necessary. Close combat would be a bloody two-way affair.

Plan

The Japanese set up on/north of hexrow W, while I set up on/south of V. I decided to focus on holding the left, western half of the town, centering my defense on the P3 church. I placed my wire in S4 and S5, and fortified both levels of R2, placing the 75* downstairs and the Oerlikon upstairs to cover the approach through T1/U2/V2 (T2 was rubbled by SSR). I also fortified Q5, and occupied it with the 9-2, directing a 447 with the MMG.

The easy part is over

I put the 37* next door in P5 pointing northeast, where it covered the Q hexrow all the way down to Q10. The Vickers, HIP by SSR, sat in O7 looking down the road through the center of town. I had an ATR on each flank, and a light screen forward on the right; I distributed the balance of the troops evenly after that. The Commissar sat in the church, while the 7-0 backed up the troops on the right. My roadblocks sat in V3/W4 and V8/W9, cutting LOS as much slowing Paul’s armor. I kept a few troops off the front line in case Paul decided to build a kill stack or two to soften things up right off the bat.

My general plan was to reinforce whichever flank was feeling the most pressure, favoring the left otherwise, while hoping to hold the church and one more building for the duration.

Early Going

Paul went heavily against my right flank, overrunning my screen and quickly taking the R6 building. He was soon formed up in the angle running from T5 through R6 and out to R9 (Q7 and R7 were shellholes by SSR). Though I was a little sad he didn’t run his jaw straight at my R2 fist, I thought this was still an acceptable development as my western forces were only lightly engaged.

The heavy metal arrives

Overshadowing all of Paul’s early progress was my first roll of Final Fire. I hit a 447 and an FT/DC/448 in T5 with my Q5 MMG/447, directed by the 9-2. I dropped a three on an 8(0) for the dreaded flamethrower Daily Double. The Assault Engineers ate the KIA (thanks to the -1) while the 447 was reduced. Both support weapons were destroyed by the subsequent die rolls (A9.74) and with three CVP in the bag I already had a fresh squad warming up in the bullpen. This was only a hint of things to come.

Uh-Oh!

With my firepower steadily chipping away at Japanese strength, Paul had to jumpstart his attack. After deploying his armor for cover in Q9 and Q10, Paul launched a Banzai charge against my right, on the heels of a DC Hero. My 37* went down to an 11, as did a couple LMGs and my Vickers’ CMG, so Paul was able to crash into the P7 rowhouse. A few of my squads broke on FPF, and though I got my licks in, Paul established himself on my side of the Q hexrow and had a shot at turning the flank of my western position.

A dedicated soul

Big Moment

As pressure mounted on my right, Paul decided to now hit my far left with his reinforcements. A leader and a pair of squads entered in Y1 and made their way through the orchards before getting hammered by the Oerlikon. The survivors gamely advanced into the rubble in T2, only to be smoked by the artillery piece across the street. With this threat stymied, I could devote full attention to the looming assault against my R4-P5 front.

Trouble in mind

Endgame

With his forces dwindling and Chinese strength gaining, it was do or die time for Paul’s Japanese, or do and die as the case may be. He only had one leader remaining but all his troops were in a single contiguous mass; it was time to get out the red counters. First a Chi-Ro crashed through the front door of the 9-2’s fortified location, but not before the MMG filled the street with residual firepower. Then the infantry followed, with carnage not far behind. Paul didn’t lose too much crossing the street and generally drove me back from the forward edge of my position, but I was able to rout most of my troops back to the Commissar. My R2 guns turned to face the attack as well.

No self control

In my following game turn, the Commissar rallied up the 9-2 and his friends. On my right, reinforcing GMD squads cleaned up the Japanese incursion without loss. On the left, my ordnance pounded Paul’s troops in Q3 and Q4, while my church force finished off the remnants. With yet another fresh platoon of Chinese forming up to enter, Paul felt his prospects were dim and called it a day.

MVP

The real MVP was SSR 6, which allowed me to buy fresh troops as I inflicted casualties, but the star on the board was probably the 9-2. I don’t think a single roll can make or break a scenario of reasonable size, but that opening 3 certainly shaped the course of the game. The 9-2 was a steady performer after that, and I can’t blame him for failing to stand up to a twelve-and-a-half-ton monster appearing in his living room. Overall he earned his bars.

Lessons Learned

The story of the day was the relentless bleeding of Paul’s force. I focused on striping and then reducing squads, ignoring halfsquads unless I had no other targets. The steady accumulation of CVP bought me ample support; over the course of the game I added eight squads to my force, along with three leaders and some LMGs. In the face of this it feels like the Japanese needs to husband his forces early and then hit the Chinese en masse. This is essentially what Paul tried but the previous casualties just made me too strong to overcome. A mid-game double Banzai, with half the Japanese OoB in each, might shatter the GMD through FPF and carry the buildings before the reinforcements can intervene.

Indomitable spirit prevails

Scenario Impressions

I love this situation – early war is my favorite period and I have a special fondness for GMD/IJA cards. This is a formidable Japanese force but that reinforcement SSR is a doozy. I think the Japanese have a shot, but until you see it played out it’s hard to get a sense of how quickly that power dynamic shifts. The GMD reinforcements come in just over a MPh away from the VP buildings, so the IJA has a turn before the impact of losses is really felt. Planning around that gap is probably the key to a successful attack.

It is an honor to die for the Emperor

This is one of those rare scenarios where the attacker must plot his assault turn by turn before the first weather die roll – you need to know where to be on turn four to maximize the impact of your all-out attack. I will happily play this again, and look forward to taking the Japanese. They might have the short end of the stick but I believe the tools are there to give them a chance.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read the SSR as one Chinese reinforcement MMC per turn. Basically, looks like you can only spend 3 a turn. I dunno, not totally clear.
JR & Paul, two of my favorite people. .

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I am halfway through as the Chinese vs. Vic Rosso as PBEM and it has a very interesting Dynamic to it. I have skulked back and Vic has been quite cautious, but still i have gotten in a couple of squads which allow me to shift the focus of the defense.

We both feel we are behind so it is going to be an exiting endgame.

This one is an unique design for sure.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me and Paul gave it a try. Japanese had balance of demoted Chinese 9-2 to a 9-1 and only one MMC per turn (both my screw ups, lol).
I set the Chinese way forward and lost about 3 squads and the tank to the opening prepfire and banzai charge. However the second turn banzai charge was stopped cold by fortified locations (53 S6 and S7)and the Chinese recovered nicely. The Japanese bounced back into the residual fire and got shot up.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!

I played it twice. One win each way.

The Japanese win was an overwhelming victory.

The Chinese win was very fortunate when a late turn 347/ leader advanced into a 1 factor Chinese halfsquad in the church. No ambush, mutual destruction left the building in Chinese hands.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played this one and could not resist putting the 9-2 in the steeple with the MMG.

Fortified buildings I changed for tunnels to allow troops to move across the roads. Hopefully with an LMG to put a firelane down the street. Maybe that was a mistake given the Banzai charges that are going to happen..........

My defense was concentrated round the church "defend the minimum to win" being my reasoning. It also meant any brokies could make there way back to the commissar. Which worked well.

Fun scenario. Japanese attack has to be careful given the fact that the more they lose, the stonger the Chinese get. Give me the Chinese in this 😁

Many thanks for another great AAR JR.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read the SSR as one Chinese reinforcement MMC per turn. Basically, looks like you can only spend 3 a turn. I dunno, not totally clear.
JR & Paul, two of my favorite people. .
Bob - no, JR has it absolutely right. The Chinese receive reinforcements based on the casualties they inflict on the Japanese. Every multiple of 3 CVP inflicted (FRD) brings a squad of some type as reinforcements.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one and could not resist putting the 9-2 in the steeple with the MMG.

Fortified buildings I changed for tunnels to allow troops to move across the roads. Hopefully with an LMG to put a firelane down the street. Maybe that was a mistake given the Banzai charges that are going to happen..........

My defense was concentrated round the church "defend the minimum to win" being my reasoning. It also meant any brokies could make there way back to the commissar. Which worked well.

Fun scenario. Japanese attack has to be careful given the fact that the more they lose, the stonger the Chinese get. Give me the Chinese in this 😁

Many thanks for another great AAR JR.
That is absolutely the right read. And "Grist" is definitely one of those scenarios you need to play more than once in order to grok. With the Japanese, people are accustomed to Banzai charges, etc. which produce casualties, but the Japanese can fulfill the VC. That kind of game is virtually impossible in this scenario. The Japanese needs to conserve his force and pit strength against weakness. He can't dilly-dally, but he doesn't need to hurry, either. He can almost (ALMOST) assault-advance to victory if you count out the hexes. So this is not one of those run-across-the-open-and-see-how-many-guys-I-have-left scenarios. haha

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That 3 against his Assault Engineer stack was just BRUTAL. Man . . . did your opponent not see the LOS?

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the Japanese have a shot, but until you see it played out it’s hard to get a sense of how quickly that power dynamic shifts. The GMD reinforcements come in just over a MPh away from the VP buildings, so the IJA has a turn before the impact of losses is really felt. Planning around that gap is probably the key to a successful attack.

100% correct, I think. That was our conclusion as well when we were playtesting.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like JR’s defence but it’s not my style. I prefer the up front, not quite ‘in your face’, defence. This one looks kinda symmetrical with the two roadblocks. There is something nasty anyway the Japanese go, lots of firegroup potential and converging fire from all the main platforms. Here is the HIP stuff: (missing rubble in T7)19953 the roadblocks allow the shifting of forces effectively and the creation of large firegroups. Everybody and his uncle can shoot up hexrow T. This is what the Japanese see at set up: 19954 The 1/2 squad in U8 starts with WA and the 9-2 with 4-4-7/MMG could go on the first level of R3 so they can see over the rubble into hex U2, but that’s too scary for me. When the Japanese hit hexrow T all heck is going to break loose (hopefully, lol)

The main problem I see for the Japanese is constriction. The Chinese have lots of locations to spread out in and form up firegroups but the Japanese might be forced to stack in constricted areas. This basically doubles Chinese firepower for two stacked Japanese squads and triples it for three. For instance say the Japanese fight their way into hexes T6 & T7 (two locations with +2 TEM), the Chinese have possibly about 8 locations shooting back ( +2 to +4 TEM) That’s about a 4-1 ratio with better TEM. Then double the Chinese FP for the stacked Japanese makes it around a x6 to x8 firepower advantage. Now yer talk’in Chinese baby ! I should point out all the guns (37,20L & 75) and the 9-2/buddies can see T6 making it the nastiest +2 TEM hex on the board, freeing up the point blank dudes to paste r hex T7 with a 24+2 to a 36+2. Then maybe for a finishing touch, drive the tank into U7, merrily overrunning on the way, and eliminate all the broken 1/2 squads and further disrupt the attack for another turn. The Japanese might throw in the towel.
The best Japanese hope is a kill stack in 1st level W7 {this is why the Chinese 9-2 leader starts at ground level (I ain’t letting my best guys suffer a 12or16+2 on the opening prepfire) }and the two *50 mortar’s smoke and WP.

This strategy goes with the theory that stacked units add to their firepower but the opponent’s firepower is multiplied ! Would you rather add firepower or multiply it ? I like “sticks and stones” caveman logic, not too mathy but enough to get an edge on the fly.

If one were to compare/contrast JR’s defense to mine its fair to say we both apply the ASL maxim: “everybody or nobody”. JR has few vulnerabilities on turn one and lots of troops are getting concealed, giving up some ground. My defence has lots of vulnerabilities (hopefully too many to take advantage of) and puts almost everybody on the line with little concealment but gives up little ground. The Chinese can give up a squad a turn to block key hexes and still come out like roses 🌹. I like the chaos to start early, disrupt the attack, look for leverage and get ahead of the curve (so to speak) before my opponent does.

On second thought, I’m going to steal JR’s defense, caveman logic says this is wisdom, see what happens, lol.

Last edited:

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like JR’s defence but it’s not my style. I prefer the up front, not quite ‘in your face’, defence.
I like it, Bob - the blood will flow early! My only concern is that initial blast of Japanese firepower, but you've given yourself a lot of the board to work with so the IJA will have to fight for every hexrow.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am halfway through as the Chinese vs. Vic Rosso as PBEM and it has a very interesting Dynamic to it. I have skulked back and Vic has been quite cautious, but still i have gotten in a couple of squads which allow me to shift the focus of the defense.

We both feel we are behind so it is going to be an exiting endgame.

This one is an unique design for sure.
Well... what happened?

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One more important thing for this scenario. Is the Chinese commissar the kinder, gentler type that doesn’t shoot troops that fail to rally ?
No, he’s old school: “Suck it up, buttercup, or here’s a bullet for your troubles”

Attachments

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One more important thing for this scenario. Is the Chinese commissar the kinder, gentler type that doesn’t shoot troops that fail to rally ?
No, definitely not (LOL). First of all, he's not Red Chinese (the only Nationality and type that has the "kind Commissar," even though I do not understand the historical basis for this, but that's a discussion for another time). Second, the SSR reads that he is treated as a "pre-10/42 Commissar," a clear reference to the Russian Commissar (hence 10/42), but looking back I should have included "Russian" (which I did on all the Pack 2 scenarios).