Have You Ever (v2)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Tuomo's PF thread made me think of outlandish events. Thought it might be fun to try to outdo each other in completing those impossible to fill ASL Bingo cards.

Mine: I have used a hero to place a DC onto a wagon filled with infantry and blown them all to bits.
Served them right, should have been marching !

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Tuomo's PF thread made me think of outlandish events. Thought it might be fun to try to outdo each other in completing those impossible to fill ASL Bingo cards.

Mine: I have used a hero to place a DC onto a wagon filled with infantry and blown them all to bits.
How about an USA armored bulldozer burying a Japanese Pillbox with a HMG in it? That was FUN! Vic. ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Can't think of anything as cool or weird as you guys have done. My only contribution would be ferrying a tank across the river in the Dinant Bridgehead. It was cool for me though!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recovered a Shocked tank once. -- jim
I had a crew fail it's immobilization TC, bail out, survive all DFph action but then was able to re-enter the AFV and destroy the same German AFV that immobilized it in the first place. It was then out of the action as it was NT and my opponent avoided it's CA

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I had a crew fail it's immobilization TC, bail out, survive all DFph action but then was able to re-enter the AFV and destroy the same German AFV that immobilized it in the first place. It was then out of the action as it was NT and my opponent avoided it's CA
Did something similar:
A T-34 in German services was destroyed by a CH from a Stuart in Yugoslav Army services. The German Crew survived and was enraged with an attitude. It chased the Stuart for three turns on foot, finally nailing it with a PF - and no Crew Survival...

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The honest craziest thing I ever did in ASL (seriously, who ever recovers a shocked tank?): I was playing some silly Italian scenario with Ed Fritz, Jr. We picked it because the Italian OB included a 10-2 Armor Leader. We had never seen such a thing. As fate would have, my tank with the 10-2 AL get's knocked out but the crew manages to bail out. I then took the "10-2 AL" crew and moved him some 15 hexes across the board to take out in CC (without the AL leadership bonus because he doesn't really exist but play along) the tank that took out his. Ed and I laugh every time we see one another over that stupid AL running across the board. It was quite comical. -- jim

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe my most memorable weird play came when during the final round of the Chicago Open a few years back my buddy Curtis Brooks and I were matched in the final round of the tournament. Since we had both gone something like 4 and 2 we were out of the running and decided to just play for fun on a scenario we had been looking at for a while, Bof-1 The Marco Polo Bridge Incident, while we waited for the third in our party to finish up for a place. Wouldn't you know it, by mid game an ASL contest had sprung up by the time our competitive natures had kicked in. I can't remember the exact details of why but for some reason I drove a MG armed truck half way across the board to overrun a Broken Japanese unit only to have it rally & create a Japanese Hero to boot! Having shot his bolt and survived I don't know how many defensive fire shots, the truck then just returned to whence he had come for reasons I can't recall. This was not to be outdone by the last turn of the game when a HS of mine made a run to capture an unoccupied VC building, survived no less than 6 different defensive fires from 3 separate Japanese units to get adjacent to the building but didn't have enough MF to enter it. Now I forget to advance into it during the APh because we're still laughing about the truck OVR and the number of D1F shots the HS has taken and lose the scenario because of it. Still comes up with a roar of laughter every time we have a scenario with a truck in it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I believe my most memorable weird play came when during the final round of the Chicago Open a few years back my buddy Curtis Brooks and I were matched in the final round of the tournament. Since we had both gone something like 4 and 2 we were out of the running and decided to just play for fun on a scenario we had been looking at for a while, Bof-1 The Marco Polo Bridge Incident, while we waited for the third in our party to finish up for a place. Wouldn't you know it, by mid game an ASL contest had sprung up by the time our competitive natures had kicked in. I can't remember the exact details of why but for some reason I drove a MG armed truck half way across the board to overrun a Broken Japanese unit only to have it rally & create a Japanese Hero to boot! Having shot his bolt and survived I don't know how many defensive fire shots, the truck then just returned to whence he had come for reasons I can't recall. This was not to be outdone by the last turn of the game when a HS of mine made a run to capture an unoccupied VC building, survived no less than 6 different defensive fires from 3 separate Japanese units to get adjacent to the building but didn't have enough MF to enter it. Now I forget to advance into it during the APh because we're still laughing about the truck OVR and the number of D1F shots the HS has taken and lose the scenario because of it. Still comes up with a roar of laughter every time we have a scenario with a truck in it.
In that scenario I remember my Chinese Type 22 trucks entering, the first one getting immediately taken out by a Japanese MG when rounding a corner and the second one never passing a TC for non-Platoon Movement for the entire game in a place where it couldn't see anybody.

von Marwitz