Have you ever used VASL?

Have you ever used VASL (pick any that apply)?

• Yes, to play a game

• Yes, to watch others play

• Yes, for other purposes (i.e. using the map and counter art)

• No, I've never used VASL

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I voted all categories of Yes but in crafting the questions left "other purposes" deliberately vague. Some purposes I've seen discussed include:

• printing off obscure overlays for a face to face game
  • using map and counter art (either individually or as screenshots of games in progress) for home-made scenario cards or to illustrate forum AARs blog entries, magazine articles, etc
  • using VASL as a visual guide to the physical map boards
I'd be curious to know other uses people have found for VASL - at present half the respondents have voted "yes" for other purposes.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I mostly use VASL to play (solo play included).
I used the counter art when designing scenarios: much preferable over simple text.
I very occasionally look at other people playing, but since the generalised use if Skype or other vocal devices, it is less easy to follow the game.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All categories of 'yes'.
  • Most games I play using VASL.
  • I have watched many games to learn or to see how others tackle scenarios that I have played before.
  • Other purposes include the creation of VASL files for GRENADIER that participants can use to prepare their defensive setups to speed up proceedings on site. I use VASL setups to print maps that better capture the terrain than the standard boards do (winter, PTO, out of season grain/orchards, numbers of overlays). And I use VASL screenshots to illustrate questions and posts in this forum.
von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played live vasl; of course use it for PBEM games, use it almost exclusively for SASL; have visited other players and watched parts of their games; use it to demonstrate a situation in a question/answer to ASL related material; have used it to help set-up and print small maps/overlays (especially if a map-board has several overlays or special terrain modifications); used it for scenario set ups to help visualize my defense or visually percieve potential enemy set ups, used it for AARs; use it a lot on night scenarios [EX: VotG, RB/RO, ectc.] played FtF to help visualize Starshell and fire effects (Very helpfull and effective); probably have some other uses that I haven't thought of.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We need color e-ink devices that combine the customization of VASL with the tactile feedback of pushing counters. Plus, my severe tendinitis means my days of playing via VASL are over. Too much clicking, dragging and typing.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
I've used it to record set-ups for scenarios's I'd like to play FtF. I've also used VASL to printout the map and then draw battle plans on them when I'm playing my SASL games.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I play solo and mostly on VASL. I also have VASL open when learning rules, adding counters as needed to illustrate/try out particular points. I also like to play with map configurations just for the hell of it e.g. what's the biggest city you can put together/largest forested area etc... I also like to mess with transformations e.g. say the magic words and the hills on Board 3 turn into woods...or grain...or open ground. Brilliant.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was always interested in VASL, but I just didn't need to get into it until one of my regular Montréal opponents moved off the island. That changed a 20 minute drive to over one hour, each way. That is when I started using VASL. I love it now to be able to play anyone anywhere.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I pretty much play all my games on VASL. Can’t imagine another way to go!
Nothing against VASL, think it's the future of board gaming, however. There is a tactile aspect to ftf that a computer screen can't mimic. Holding those dice in your sweaty palms transferring your mojo into them, knocking over that seven counter stack cause maybe you didn't really need that last cup of coffee. Or watching your opponent tear board 5 in half. That can't be matched with a computer. Ftf will be around for a while. We are too social of an animal to give it up, probably genetically predisposed for ftf interaction.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nothing against VASL, think it's the future of board gaming, however. There is a tactile aspect to ftf that a computer screen can't mimic. Holding those dice in your sweaty palms transferring your mojo into them, knocking over that seven counter stack cause maybe you didn't really need that last cup of coffee. Or watching your opponent tear board 5 in half. That can't be matched with a computer. Ftf will be around for a while. We are too social of an animal to give it up, probably genetically predisposed for ftf interaction.
That’s funny. What you listed are precisely why I stick with VASL and no longer deal with physical. I haven’t been punching any counters (nor deal with clipping, sorting or resorting) since Hakka Paalle.

I hear you, but other side of the same coin you quoted : the advantages of VASL can’t be matched by the physical.

ie that ‘social’ bit is a hoax. VASL play online is every bit as social as FtF, without the smell (Or need of trousers).

Last edited:

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
That’s funny. What you listed are precisely why I stick with VASL and no longer deal with physical. I haven’t been punching any counters (nor deal with clipping, sorting or resorting) since Hakka Paalle.

I hear you, but other side of the same coin you quoted : the advantages of VASL can’t be matched by the physical.

ie that ‘social’ bit is a hoax. VASL play online is every bit as social as FtF, without the smell (Or need of trousers).

"thanks" for that last part in parentheses, Jack!!