Have you ever played a scenario from one of Critical Hit's GWASL World War One modules?

Have you ever played a scenario from one of Critical Hit's GWASL World War One modules?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 81.7%
  • Solitaire Only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Never even heard of these

Votes: 14 10.7%

• Total voters

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
This is interesting, because I've only recently discovered that GWASL even exists !
Is there a part of this forum devoted to it ? Particularly interested in the Alpine War, which I see has a "module"...but the rules!?
No-one else seems to have addressed this, so ....

DO NOT ... repeat DO NOT ... make any decision about this until you've read up on the GWASL product's on the "Desperation Morale" web site.

Here they are: GWASL product list

If after reading these you still think this is where you want to spend your money, well, IMO you deserve everything you get.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow, big thanks for the heads up "bprobst", much appreciated.....

I will not be purchasing any of their products...

Those reviews were damning.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Make up your own mind after gathering all the facts. Even Mark will agree on Desperation Morale that Guerra Civil, Genesis 48 and Dien Bien Phu were good, playtested products. They were only hamstrung by their horrid variant counter art and the quality of the counters. This was fixed in future editions. There are some excellent Critical Hit products out there. You just need to look and separate valid comments vice the “all CH products suck”.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Make up your own mind after gathering all the facts. Even Mark will agree on Desperation Morale that Guerra Civil, Genesis 48 and Dien Bien Phu were good, playtested products. They were only hamstrung by their horrid variant counter art and the quality of the counters. This was fixed in future editions. There are some excellent Critical Hit products out there. You just need to look and separate valid comments vice the “all CH products suck”.
This!
The newer CH stuff is sketchy at best but (repeating here) not all CH stuff sucks. Read from different sources and you will see some rather good products that are definitely worth it to be had.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Too bad you took the word of a CH hater!
I have no idea what these games are like, and, as stated, they are expensive...however, a member of this forum has very kindly agreed to sell me some CH GWASL stuff at an incredibly low price, so - we shall see ..

My main interest will always be ASL.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Too bad you took the word of a CH hater!
As an absolute fan of CH, you can freely expose here the good reasons to purchase that product.
That way, there would be a comparison between arguments, within the boundaries of a reasonable.debate.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have no idea what these games are like, and, as stated, they are expensive...however, a member of this forum has very kindly agreed to sell me some CH GWASL stuff at an incredibly low price, so - we shall see ..

My main interest will always be ASL.
Well. There can be a reason for ASL being expensive in general .. and CH GWASL being at an "incredibly low price".

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that is what he is saying. I seem to recall having read something to this effect somewhere around here in this forum.

von Marwitz
I remember the same thing.
I have, and like Guerra Civil, but an official module would be great.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

As a general rule of thumb that is the best course to take. Anything CH peddles is suspect at best.

That being said, as others have mentioned there are a few diamonds in that rough. Dien Bien Phu does an outstanding job of capturing the "Charlie's on the wire" effect of outpost defense common to SE Asia conflicts. I've never played SCW but respected players have spoken highly of it. Play very little of Genesis '48 but what I saw I liked. I recall enjoying Tigers to the Front. There are products worth having in the CH stable, but some research will go a long way towards making the right choices.

The problem with all these products and all other CH offerings is that they have probably reprinted them, renamed them, modified them lord know how to make Ray feel justified in doing it, and probably jacked up the price.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Make up your own mind after gathering all the facts.
Pitcavage's comments are never "all CH products suck", except perhaps those released in the last 10 years or so, because, well, they all suck (or, at best are obscenely expensive for what you get). Mark's overview of the GWASL products confine themselves to those products. His reviews of the earlier CH products that generally don't suck are pretty fair too. I disagree with Pitcavage on many things but it's only rarely that I would consider his product descriptions to be unfair, and even a lot of those boil down to "my tastes differ from his". Desperation Morale is "only" a data point in the overview of any ASL product, but it's a pretty solid one.

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pitcavage's comments are never "all CH products suck", - Only 99% of them. He is a CH hater from day one.

except perhaps those released in the last 10 years or so, because, well, they all suck - And how would you know that? Oh, you read his site!

(or, at best are obscenely expensive for what you get). - Another lie. All packs start out at a low price and you can also get 30% off of that low price. After the items ship then the price goes up to normal but you can still get 30% off of that price. So, your a lier.

Mark's overview of the GWASL products confine themselves to those products. - But he never played any of them. He was on here begging people so send him pictures of the stuff. So his opinion means little to nothing.

His reviews of the earlier CH products that generally don't suck are pretty fair too. I disagree with Pitcavage on many things but it's only rarely that I would consider his product descriptions to be unfair, - Like i said, you just go by what he writes.

and even a lot of those boil down to "my tastes differ from his". Desperation Morale is "only" a data point in the overview of any ASL product, but it's a pretty solid one.
- Far from solid. Only one haters opinion.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I would have no problem if Guerra Civil became the official SCW gamette, much like Soldiers of the Negus will shortly be the Ethiopian one.
Having both iterations of the CH one and the PT of the new one I would go with the OT one to ge honest