Have you ever played a scenario from one of Critical Hit's GWASL World War One modules?

Have you ever played a scenario from one of Critical Hit's GWASL World War One modules?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 81.7%
  • Solitaire Only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Never even heard of these

Votes: 14 10.7%

• Total voters

lucamartini

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Have you ever actually played a scenario from one of Critical Hit's GWASL (Great War ASL) World War One modules? Please take a moment to give your answer in this poll. I'm trying to understand what sort of user base, if any, these products have.

lucamartini

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Have you ever actually played a scenario from one of Critical Hit's GWASL (Great War ASL) World War One modules? Please take a moment to give your answer in this poll. I'm trying to understand what sort of user base, if any, these products have.
played many including the Hindenburg line campaign. I have to say I bought all modules and I stopped with the Aussies. All in all the scenarios are fun. However, forget about balance. Many are simply impossible to play. Monte cappuccio and Australian Achilles for example. Why do you play when there is no way to win? I live the period and I love the system hence o forget it. I had great time, but sometimes the frustration is excruciating. Hindenburg line for example. Large scenario. Was it EVER played or tested? My answer is not. Just the set up is impossible with the OB counters. Then it is ridiculously unbalanced. Stopped and needed a rest from the system. It’s a shame inasmuch as the idea is Fenili’s and the rules are sleek and fast to learn. All in all: you need to play it with a thorough overhaul of the scenarios. Different is the first module. Clearly Ian’s hand is there. More balanced.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
How can totally unbalanced and impossible to play scenarios be fun?
Did you just have fun gazing at their cards?
If you play against someone and lose, does the experience become suddenly joyless? I don't doubt winning is fun in its own right, but it's not the only reason we do this thing. Just playing with a new rules set seems to have an inherent appeal that transcends the question of the outcome of an individual scenario.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't mind losing, but I find fun when there is a challenge, a possibility to win the game - and ASL is a game, not a reenactment exercise.
And the most essential aspect of my question is : how do you actually play an unplayable scenario?
Can you read an unreadable book or eat uneatable food?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't mind losing, but I find fun when there is a challenge, a possibility to win the game - and ASL is a game, not a reenactment exercise.
And the most essential aspect of my question is : how do you actually play an unplayable scenario?
Can you read an unreadable book or eat uneatable food?
Plan 9 from Outer Space is an unwatchable movie that has been watched millions of times.

Wiseau's opus The Room is another one. Sometimes something is so bad, it is good. They even made a dramatization of the making of The Room.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You can play with words indeed.
I won't debate further, as you are manifesly trolling.
Have your little pleasure with yourself.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes, that was me. We have played several of these and have enjoyed them very much. Now we play these with the understanding that in many cases the attacker is going to get hosed, but still enjoy playing them. They work and there is not a lot of rules changes overhead to make it work. You do get the sense of the terrible fighting that WWI combat was like. And it is different from WWII ASL as it should be. Our last game was out of the Ottoman pack and was and ottoman attack on an ANZAC trench line at Gallipoli. Dave won with the Turks but it was close and one of the best ASL scenario we have played.

I do think, as we get more into playing GWASL, that we are learning that there are tactics to make the attackers more able to win in some of the situations where you are crossing no-man's land facing a trench line with MGs.

I also played one against another friend where I had gas and fired it and it covered most of the board. Where else do you get to do that? It makes for an interesting scenario.
I would not breathe it

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is interesting, because I've only recently discovered that GWASL even exists !
Is there a part of this forum devoted to it ?
Particularly interested in the Alpine War, which I see has a "module"...but the rules!?

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I should add that I think the Spanish Civil War would be perfect for ASL...

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hightly recommend Guerre Civil/Condor Legion. I playtested some of it and then played more when I finally got the published version in my hands. There is one scenario, it's been a long time I don't remember the title, where both sides have the same tanks. It was quite a tangle to have them fighting each other on a flank. I think they were FT-17s. There are a couple of great geo-morphs and a castle overlay. A couple of the scenarios are Brihuega Disaster, Son Servera, Teruel's Tooth and Ay Carmela. Those are the titles from GC, I'd have to lay all the scenarios out to figure out their new titles in Condor Legion.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are certainly plenty of Spanish Civil War scenarios out there including many "officially" printed by AH(?)/MMP.