Have You Ever had ASL Stuff Lost Or Stolen?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
To answer my own question; no I have not. But several times I thought I had lost stuff and, I'm afraid to say it, I started to suspect if it had been stolen.
When it comes to stealing it would really only be another ASL player who would want it. So its a terrible accusation to make or suspect, but I know that some people can't help themselves on that account, so I always start fearing the worst when stuff goes missing.
The inevitable result with me is that I've temporarily lost stuff, only to find it again. But several times my hearts jumped into my mouth when I can't find something.

How about you? :surprise:

Honza.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One time I put my rule book, paratrooper and some other stuff on the roof of my car and took off down the road!! I wonder what could have possibly happened to it ?

That was rulebook number one,
Bob

" Dude, that hippy just launched a bunch of paper and crap onto Ogden Ave..................looks like he is some kind of nazi."

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Heheh talk about timing (threadwise eh).

Was doing some reorganizing of the hobby room here this afternoon, and dropped one of my vehicle storage systems. Guess I know what I will have as an option tomorrow hehe.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heheh talk about timing (threadwise eh).

Was doing some reorganizing of the hobby room here this afternoon, and dropped one of my vehicle storage systems. Guess I know what I will have as an option tomorrow hehe.
Was doing some UNORGANIZING of the hobby room here this afternoon,.......

Sorry,:OHNO: :upset:
Bob

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fess Up!

I'm missing my Japanese concealment counters L and S.

Ok! Who's got them?!

:angry:

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I can't find my Yanks scenarios! I think they're somewhere in a box in the basement, but it could take years...

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We had a large, 3-D board three stolen. I would say lost, but it was just too big and the tournament too small to have been otherwise. I know of someone who had all their smoke and wire counters stolen from ASLOK several years ago. Either that, or someone "found" the box they were in and "forgot" to turn them in. :angry:

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never had anything permanently lost or stolen from my collection, temporarily misplaced on occasion, maybe, but no permanent casualties (that I know of).

A friend of mine, Dave Stephens, occasionally tells the classic story of driving off from DonCon one year with several full counter trays on the roof of his car. Worse, they were the old AH-style trays without latching lids. Even worse, it was raining at the time. IIRC, he did circle back after getting a few miles down the road before the horrible realization dawned on him. By that time, after repeated overruns, all that was left were a few piles of bloated, decomposing cardboard.

Dave

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trent Dobbs Lost Germans

Trent Dobbs lost his plano full of Germans at ASLOK 3 or 4 years ago.

It was bad, because he didn't have any kind of special identifying marks on the Plano. Doh! all of a sudden it was quite apparent just how many guys use plano for their storage systems!

To his credit Trent did not think they were purposely taken... just that they some got put into somebodys ASL trunk by mistake.

Despite postings to the list, etc. he never got them back.

Real bummer was that he had literally JUST finished clipping all the counters.

JT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Real bummer was that he had literally JUST finished clipping all the counters.

JT
Now that would hurt!

One of the reasons I never went for the 'putting all leaders or SW together by type and mixing the nationalities together' was that I was convinced I'd eventually lose just that box and ALL my SW and leaders for ALL nationalities. That would not be a cheap error to rectify.

Andy

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Dave Stephen's Lost Counters at Avaloncon

I can confirm Dave Reenstra's story about Dave. It has become an urban legend here in NC. What one must realize is that we were helping his wheelchair bound friend (MS) into Dave's van and being at night, we both missed the fact there were trays of counters on the roof.

Legend has it that at night one can still hear the sounds of the dead cardboard soldiers crying out "nobody get's left behind, Dave" in front of the Hunt Valley Inn.

"Zadra"

Relvig

Death Panel Czar
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not directly ASL

I had a hard cover book of the history of the 12th SS Panzer Division. A player at Winter Offensive wanted to borrow it to look at it. :blab: I was writing scenarios using that as my primary source, and looked for others to back up the information.
Never had it returned to me. Produced G42 from it, Youth's First Blood. Was really looking forward to doing more, but I no longer have the text. Still have the Map Book that went with it, but that doesn't really mean all that much.

Relvig

Honus

Reaction score
I had all the original Squad Leader modules which were stolen around 1995 (along with a bunch of other stuff--basically all of my stuff). I had a bunch of General Mags as well. When I got into ASL in 2000 I sorely missed having all those maps.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have lost one of my German 5-4-8s

What really bites is that now I only have 8 of them and one of the scenerios I have require 9 :angry: I have no proff she did it, but I'm never letting my littlest sister near that stuff again. Wouldnt even let her use a die a few days back :angry:

BACK OFF!!!! *beep*

- The Canadian Dude

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I lost nearly all of my British concealment somehow. Also, my early US Army stuff suffered greatly during a road trip, easily losing over half of them.

Fortunately FKAK came out and I was able to get some extra early US Army from Alex Key.

One scenario Khamsin disappeared at a tournament. I think it was borrowed and forgotten by both. I found a copy, so it is no big deal.

The only real loss was a lot of old general scenarios during a move. I don't think I can really replace those, but I have some crappy copies of copies to get me by.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few years back at the Noreaster, one guy went to the game room and it was locked (early sunday AM IIRC). He put down some of his planos while the search began for the hotel guy with the key. When he got back, they were gone...

Somewhere out there, there is a well-driller (convention of them same time same hotel) with a guilty conscience and a nice setup for his fishing lures... Maybe a nasty itch from those teenage girls that hung around with them too...

For fellow ASL players, just remember that your boards and charts looks just like everyone else's. So putting address stickers or initials or something on those parts is an excellent idea.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had Journal 93b "borrowed" years back at a Tournament and it is still in limbo somewhere. I have purchased another on E-bay at inflated price but I have them all.
Jimfer

Lehr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have lost one of my German 5-4-8s

What really bites is that now I only have 8 of them and one of the scenerios I have require 9 :angry: I have no proff she did it, but I'm never letting my littlest sister near that stuff again. Wouldnt even let her use a die a few days back :angry:

BACK OFF!!!! *beep*

- The Canadian Dude
Dude,

SK2 only came with 8 5-4-8s.

You can confirm on BGG: BGG Image :: Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #2