Have been called up for Active Duty - Leave for Iraq in Mar

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys,

Not the best news for family and me, but I, along with my entire State's Brigade (81st Seperate Armor) , are in the process of being called up for Active Duty. We will train for 3 months stateside and then head to Iraq to releive another Army National Guard in an around Baghdad.

With a 10-month old and significant pay difference from civilian job, I can't say that I am too excited about this, but will do my duty.

I should be relatively safe - I am the Battalion Personnel Officer - S1, for an Armor Unit. Only, we are NOT taking our tanks. In fact, the entire brigade is only taking 14 Bradleys. Everyone else will be on foot or in HMMVEEs.

I will occasionally poke my head in these forums through January and then HOPE to have internet access over there. Will keep you up to date and will post my Army email address later on.

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jeff,

I'm not much for big speeches, so good luck and be safe over there. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

Nat

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff,

Get yourself home safe, goddammit.

Good luck.

Matt Romey

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Re: Have been called up for Active Duty - Leave for Iraq in

TankDawg, I just recently got back from six months in the Baghdad area. I was there for Desert Storm also so I was already somewhat familiar with the terrain.

If you can manage it, take a laptop with you. I managed to stay sane down there by playing Panzer campaigns and TOAW. You might even take VASL just in case. Communication assets are extremely limited right now. Most battalions have only a single phone that can call outside the theater of operations. Internet access is pitiful and very very slow.

It's a tough mission down there. Keep your head down and your Kevlar on.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya Tank Dawg.
Good luck in Bagdad, I was in southern Iraq Guarding enemy prisoners of war for two months, now I m here in kuwait at camp wolf doing a customs mission.
oh ya, breing masquito netting, the sand fleas, millions of flys and masquitos are horrendous out here.

take care

SGT Scott Holst

PS, gotta change the CPL to SGT one of these days.

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

Congrats on E5. thats not you beating up those prisoners that i am reading about in the newspapers, is it?

:shock:

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff,

So, how's it going?

All the best,

Oliver