Hatten EmRR

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two final questions I think (hope) that will help me grasp the concept / rules right in my mind.......

Q7: Does the 6-6-7 have LOS to the 4-6-7?
NOTE: I say Yes cause the 4-6-7 is adjacent to the EmRR. If the 6-6-7 should make an IFT attack in DFPh, a +1 TEM would apply

Q8: Does the 6-6-7 have LOS to the 4-4-7?
NOTE: I say No since neither Unit is adjacent to the EmRR.

Thanks & VR,
Velo

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As the tank is adjacent to the EmRR, it can see anything on or beyond it.
This isn't quite correct, as the tank can't see an entrenched/emplaced unit just behind the other side of the hillock. In the F6.6 EX see squad A and squad H (and the contrasting squad J too).

If no one is standing on a hillock, the analogy "thick wall" is sometimes used. If you are not adjacent to the "thick wall", you can just see the hexes immediately beyond it. If you are adjacent to the "thick wall" you can see all hexes beyond it (but not necessarily all units in those hexes). Unlike a regular wall, you can't see an entrenched/emplaced unit that is on the other side even if you are adjacent. Unlike a regular wall adjacent emplaced guns are also out of LOS just like entrenched units.

For LOS where no one is on top of the hillock the "thick wall" analogy works quite well.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Q7: Does the 6-6-7 have LOS to the 4-6-7?
NOTE: I say Yes cause the 4-6-7 is adjacent to the EmRR. If the 6-6-7 should make an IFT attack in DFPh, a +1 TEM would apply

Q8: Does the 6-6-7 have LOS to the 4-4-7?
NOTE: I say No since neither Unit is adjacent to the EmRR.
Yes. No.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you think of the EmRR as a (thick) wall for LOS, it helps a lot.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks, that is the approach I am taking; but my weak mind gets befuddled when I / my opponent is ON the Wall
The "thick wall" analogy only works if both units are at ground level, i.e. not on the hillock. The rules are different if one is on the hillock.

JR

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The "thick wall" analogy only works if both units are at ground level, i.e. not on the hillock. The rules are different is one is on the hillock.

JR
I know.
But it helps for situations when both units are at ground level.

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re-ringing the bell for a Journal article covering Hatten EmRR (specially) and Hillocks (in general).......... such an article could include an "afterword" regarding Hatten errata and clarifications from the designer (believe he has posted several to this forum that cover design intent).

VR,
Velo

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the FB rules there are a few more examples that deal specifically with EmRR, and while there are still bits that aren't covered, it does help, especially when dealing with an EmRR/hillock in more dense terrain than that of the desert. Not too helpful if you don't have FB, or WoA...

While a Journal article would be nice (and has anyone checked View from the Trenches for an article?), I think the real solution would be to re-write the EmRR rules so that they A) don't just make reference to a rules section that is 30 years old and OOP, and B) have a comprehensive LOS example that (unlike Ch F) deals with more complicated terrain.

thively

Reaction score

Help with LOS please.

1. From BB12 to DD27 and FF27, black lines. I'm thinking good LOS as German is on the EmRR.

2. From CC14 to DD27 and FF27, red lines. These I'm not sure about.

3. From CC12 to DD27 , purple line.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Help with LOS please.

1. From BB12 to DD27 and FF27, black lines. I'm thinking good LOS as German is on the EmRR.

2. From CC14 to DD27 and FF27, red lines. These I'm not sure about.

3. From CC12 to DD27 , purple line.
1. Good, as he's on the EmRR
2, 3. Blocked, as neither unit are adjacent to the EmRR where the LOS crosses onto it.