HASLs and books

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for very detailed books about HASLs. So far I have Island of Fire for Red Barricades. Also the Duel in the Mist series for Kampgruppe Pieper. What are the others that match up?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Utmost Savagery and Bloody Tarawa. I thought they were pretty good reads to orient me with the history of BRT.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Looking for very detailed books about HASLs. So far I have Island of Fire for Red Barricades. Also the Duel in the Mist series for Kampgruppe Pieper. What are the others that match up?
So, you want people to list every history book ever written relevant for every HASL that has been published? Or would you like to narrow it down just a trifle?

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking for books that are day by day based on the area in the HASL.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I have Utmost Savagery and Bloody Tarawa. I thought they were pretty good reads to orient me with the history of BRT.
I also have One Square Mile of Hell. An easier read than Utmost Savagery (albeit less detailed). I enjoyed it.

Peace

Roger

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if your into Stalingrad, Leaping Horsemen's Island of Fire and Death of the Leaping Horsemen are both excellent books on the battle.

Scott

I'm looking for books that are day by day based on the area in the HASL.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You could add "Into Oblivion" also by Jason Mark/Leaping Horseman Publishing to the list noted by others on S-grad, it has day-by-day on PiBn305.

James Dorian's "Storming St. Nazaire" would be applicable to STN Op Chariot (LFT).

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Forczyk 's 'Where The Iron Crosses Grow' would be a great companion volume to CH's Maxim Gorky, LFT 13, and anything else dealing with the Crimea.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You could add "Into Oblivion" also by Jason Mark/Leaping Horseman Publishing to the list noted by others on S-grad, it has day-by-day on PiBn305.
This one is an excellent book. However note, that the level of detail which is quite extrordinary for the time before the Stalingrad fighting does decline gradually for the fighting in Stalingrad. This was due to the circumstances in which the author was surviving there. Still, it does provide a lot of insights and considerable detail even then.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This one is an excellent book. However note, that the level of detail which is quite extrordinary for the time before the Stalingrad fighting does decline gradually for the fighting in Stalingrad. This was due to the circumstances in which the author was surviving there. Still, it does provide a lot of insights and considerable detail even then.

von Marwitz
See page vi 3d to last para. I am aware. But there is still some interesting detail on Bn in S-grad, not found in Mark's other books. ;)

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I found death of the leap in horseman quite a hard read. Island of fire is good and into oblivion better.

I think Mr marks is improving as an author as he moves on.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose, goes into the training and activities of the Ox and Bucks for the mission.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wasn't to keen on that one. To much fiction interspersed with the fact. Though it does read more like a novel because of it..

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could you provide some examples of what parts of his account are said to be fictional?
There might be some truth to that statement, but the main issue with Ambrose works is not any " fictional"; nor his perhaps ill-supported theses presented ( as in the D-Day work that presents a direct challenge thesis to Monty in which the British general is flat out accused of purposefully "pulling the wool" over Ike's eyes about the intent and military end goals of Market-Garden. A thesis Ambrose fails to support well in the work.)

No, the largest issue with his works ( of which I am a BIG fan, btw, and own them all, including his Master's thesis and doctoral dissertation), is the blatant "mass production" slack writing that shows a significant disregard to citation as far back as college works for Ambrose. This of course, led to the flat out rejection ( by academia) of his work due to too many instances of plagiarism coupled with the earlier ill-supported theses within the works. Thy are excellent reads, the man is a masterful story teller ( or was), but you simply cannot reference his work in any way if you expect to maintain academic rigor in your research.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/assessment/2002/01/the_plagiarist.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/05/us/2-say-stephen-ambrose-popular-historian-copied-passages.html

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2002/1/30/tolerating-plagiarism-stephen-ambrose-is-a/

http://www.weeklystandard.com/stephen-ambrose-copycat/article/2035

He makes good use in many ways, which can be used successfully, by scenario / HASL designers - look no farther than Peg Bridge, used as a primary reference in the TAHGC published HASL module. A sucessful game module, irrespective of the book's perceived or actual flaws.

KRL, Jon H