HASL map storage solutions

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm reconsidering my method of storing my HASL map collection and wanted to see how the hive-mind handles things. I currently have a simple large box/tray that's big enough for most all my maps to lie flat and can also easily slide under the bed in our guest bedroom. However, I find that shuffling through the large stack of map sheets is sub optimal and risks damaging maps each time I have to dig through them to find the map that is inevitably near the bottom of the pile. So how do others handle this pressing problem? TIA

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have a large briefcase/folder/wrapper for artwork which can hold the usual HASL map (-parts) unfolded.

von Marwitz

Jeffery

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to know more about alternatives. I've used the "pile under the bed" method for a long time, but I have the same concerns as the OP. There must be a better way!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use large envelopes, then store in a plastic container.

This protects the maps, they don't rub against each other and I can quickly grab the map I need as the envelopes are of course labeled.

Thanks
Joe

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, where did you find envelopes and a plastic container that large?!?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A quick search on the Google for artwork holder found several possibilities from a $6.99 portfolio on up to more elaborate storage systems at $150.00 or more.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I store them in the same bin I store all my other paper ASL products ;) -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Instead of storing them just tack them onto your bedroom walls. I'm sure a devoted significant other wouldn't object to this. ??

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Instead of storing them just tack them onto your bedroom walls. I'm sure a devoted significant other wouldn't object to this. ??
Btw that's what I do. Full disclosure: I only have the Red Barricades map sheet and the wife and I have separate bedrooms. Lol, apparently one of us snores!!????????

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I store them in the same bin I store all my other paper ASL products ;) -- jim
This sounds dangerously close to the fantasies that some of our long-haired generals entertain:

"I dispose of them in the same bin I dispose of all his other paper ASL products..." ?

von Marwitz

Jeffery

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not finding references to envelopes that large: say, at least 2x3 feet for unfolded maps. Is there a particular brand for such over-sized types?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm reconsidering my method of storing my HASL map collection and wanted to see how the hive-mind handles things. I currently have a simple large box/tray that's big enough for most all my maps to lie flat and can also easily slide under the bed in our guest bedroom. However, I find that shuffling through the large stack of map sheets is sub optimal and risks damaging maps each time I have to dig through them to find the map that is inevitably near the bottom of the pile. So how do others handle this pressing problem? TIA
VASL. Ok, ok, I repent............NOT!!!! ;-)

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, where did you find envelopes and a plastic container that large?!?

Office supply store for large envelopes 13x15 and on-line for plastic "bin", I keep the maps folded of course..

Thanks
Joe

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, I was assuming you were storing the maps unfolded, which is what I do, to reduce wear and tear.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blueprint storage cabinet, large flat drawers.
Rarely if ever used anymore. Most are steel and HEAVY, some are wood. Come in a bank or 5 or 10 drawers. Each drawer will hold multiple maps. Usually very cheap because no one wants them (I assume). Mine was free, just needed to pick it up and haul away. Need to scrounge locally as shipping would be a pain.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Strangely enough, my HASL maps fit perfectly in the boxes I bought them in. Like they were sized for them or something.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I laminate my HASL maps (and other wargame maps such as Day of Days etc) and stack them flat at one of the wargaming table (it's big). Those yet to be laminated are on another smaller table (and probably won't be used for a while in any case).