HASL and TPP Counter Storage

Bartleby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Do any of you guys mix HASL and TPP counters in with whatever normal counter storage system you have? As an example, do you just grab CH and/or BFP vehicles and throw them in your normal vehicle tray, box, envelope system? Or do you find things are easier if you just keep the entire module separate?

My counter storage system has been modified and perfected over the years reading great ideas from folks on the now quiet ASLML and ConSim. With Korea coming, and me sitting on some unpunched expansions, I am looking to steal the best ideas before I commit.

In the interest of transparency I will mention I am a PLANO 3201 guy. While I have trays for different national infantry OOBs (with some sharing trays), I am one of those guys that sorts vehicles by number and SW by type.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've done both. If the counters from TPP are generic, then I usually have mixed them in. If they are specialized, like for specific units, or theater, such as DAK, then I separate them. Usually BFP get their own storage. It is getting tough though as there are now so many.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I never mix TPP counters with the normal set. I try to avoid to punch them in the first place, preferring the normal counters whereever possible.

I mix some MMP HASL counters with the Core Module sets but only a minority. For example 5-4-8SS might make sense (not otherwise represented in non HASLs IIRC). I do avoid unit specific counters.

von Marwitz

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I mix in useful ones such as some control markers and various fire markers. But I keep the units separate because there’s just no need to have them in the way of “normal” play.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have all my counters Official and TPP all integrated cannot be doing with individual boxes for different TPP’s

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm considering using these for 5/8" vehicles and guns:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GDSGTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used Plano for years but I'm running out of room :mad:
Oh, now you've started another storage thread! Whoo-hoo!
They look like they take up too much space, but if they are only for guns and vehicles, they won't get used as much as for info counters and infantry counters. You don't have to leave them on the table once pieces are pulled. That why I use the baggie system for vehicles and guns. Not effective for infantry and info, but great for vehicles (light and organized). Those look heavy and organized.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That ZZ bag is pretty empty though. Doesn't seem efficient.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Amen, brother!

Though I'm only a noob, mixing in TPP counters seems akin to "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
After you play a few hundred games and haul your stuff to a dozen or so tourneys, your perspective may change. The only purpose of this stuff is to help me play ASL. There are no points for keeping it pretty and my kid won't care about it. They're toys. I play with 'em.

S

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After you play a few hundred games and haul your stuff to a dozen or so tourneys, your perspective may change.
You're probably right, and there have already been signs that I may head in that direction... I had first resolved to keep all my HASL stuff separate, but have already backed off on that ("Fortified Location" counters from Red Barricades have already been integrated).

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
You're probably right, and there have already been signs that I may head in that direction... I had first resolved to keep all my HASL stuff separate, but have already backed off on that ("Fortified Location" counters from Red Barricades have already been integrated).
It...begins... ;)

Bartleby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There have been some super helpful responses. Thank you all. I had not considered:
1) The difference between trays needed throughout the game vs vehicles and guns
2) Do I really want counters I only use once in a blue moon taking up space in busy trays that I need to use a lot?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
There have been some super helpful responses. Thank you all. I had not considered:
2) Do I really want counters I only use once in a blue moon taking up space in busy trays that I need to use a lot?
Good lessons. The first time I organized my counters, I had only played SL. Suffice to say, it was a debacle.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look at coin envelopes for vehicles/ guns