Has SES died?

Foxendown

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Nothing is working, no Storm Eagle studios site, no forum and my Stormpowered client is dead too, I can't log in. It has been like this since at least the last few days, everything was working at Christmas. The only info I have had from SES is an error message stating that they are moving to a new server. I made an admittedly grumpy post about this at Subsim as well http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=201307

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't they say that even if they go bankrupt they would just open up the client so that everybody can play?

Foxendown

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Didn't they say that even if they go bankrupt they would just open up the client so that everybody can play?
From the Jutland Player's Guide

"Orphan Policy

In the event that Storm Eagle Studios server becomes unavailable for transfers,
we will release a global code allowing off-line activation using your password and
license ID."

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah another one of Mr. Rose's statements.

Man am I glad I never bought this.

Man am I sad there is a Norm Koger game I never bought. I even have the book on the shelf, got it before Mr. Rose got all insane and it was clear I couldn't buy the game :(

jdkbph

Reaction score
Country
llYugoslavia
They did. And most of us were smart enough to realize (and so stated) that in a bankruptcy, or any kind of default situation, the creditors would take ownership of SES assets, including intellectual property. Mr Rose's good intentions (yes, this is said tongue firmly in cheek) aside, what he promised is simply not practical or doable. And I'm quite sure he knew that when he said it.

JD

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yupp.

Well either way I'm sure Mr. Rose is blaming us for it. We drove the customers away with our DRM nagging.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So who is moderating this forum now. I see the knucklehead who was here barely posts even at SES, when its running.

btw, the forum is up. Just tested my copy of jutland and it starts, but can't connect to the servers.

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I cant find the forums anywhere and my link no longer works as does the tech support link in the game files. I can log in to SES shop and access my account but, cant get SP to work from the desk top icon.

I sent them a e mail to them support@stormeaglestudios.com and got this back:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<support@stormeaglestudios.com>:
Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local [RCPT_TO]

Sent another e mail via the SES store today.

I have not received a e mail about this, last e mail was end of Dec regarding thier Xmas sale.

Not sure hat to do, maybe uninstall SP and reinstall, when I click on the SP icon it asks me to provide my ID and password then the front screen pops up for a second, then disappears.

Pretty poor service, and I've been a loyal supporter of SES for quite a few years now.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you saying they (SES) have gone bankrupt or something? Or is this a personal opinion?
I said no such thing. Having said that, it's kind of obvious that for a game made by superstar Norm Koger (no sarcasm here) DG was very unpopular.

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So who is moderating this forum now. I see the knucklehead who was here barely posts even at SES, when its running.

btw, the forum is up. Just tested my copy of jutland and it starts, but can't connect to the servers.
Can you please provide a link to the forum cause I can find one.

Foxendown

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Can you please provide a link to the forum cause I can find one.
Here you are http://www.stormpowered.com/forums/

You will see my post there-last time I checked 29 views and no reply.

A forlorn hope, but I emailed Jim Rose, after all he has an address which is on public record http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=stormeaglestudios.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

I'm also ready to write to him, as one of the people you can't avoid is the postman :). As I say forlorn hope, but I would like him to know that people aren't just going to let this go. By all means join me if you feel so inclined.

jdkbph

Reaction score
Country
llYugoslavia
Here you are http://www.stormpowered.com/forums/

You will see my post there-last time I checked 29 views and no reply.

A forlorn hope, but I emailed Jim Rose, after all he has an address which is on public record http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=stormeaglestudios.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

I'm also ready to write to him, as one of the people you can't avoid is the postman :). As I say forlorn hope, but I would like him to know that people aren't just going to let this go. By all means join me if you feel so inclined.
If you're thinking that an appeal to reason will elicit a positive result, you're barking up the wrong tree, IMO. Try Norm Koger instead.

JD

Foxendown

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I have now had a prompt reply from Mike at SES to a message I sent today via the Contact Us link on the Stormpowered website.

"The servers have been undergoing maintenance over the past several days. Make sure you’re connected to the internet when launching StormPowered, and the update process should implement the new changes. I’m sorry for the trouble this has caused, and we appreciate your continued patience while we resolve any residual issues from the server updates."

And after I had raised some issues about communication.

"Unfortunately everybody around here has been so busy with the server maintenance over the last few days that we’ve been unable to keep up with communication. There will be an update on the forums at some point today letting everybody know the situation."

Well some hope then of being back in my Dogger Bank saved game soon. :) Thanks for the comment about Norm Koger-noted for future reference.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have now had a prompt reply from Mike at SES to a message I sent today via the Contact Us link on the Stormpowered website.

"The servers have been undergoing maintenance over the past several days. Make sure you’re connected to the internet when launching StormPowered, and the update process should implement the new changes. I’m sorry for the trouble this has caused, and we appreciate your continued patience while we resolve any residual issues from the server updates."

And after I had raised some issues about communication.

"Unfortunately everybody around here has been so busy with the server maintenance over the last few days that we’ve been unable to keep up with communication. There will be an update on the forums at some point today letting everybody know the situation."

Well some hope then of being back in my Dogger Bank saved game soon. :) Thanks for the comment about Norm Koger-noted for future reference.
Excetly how much time does it take to drop an announcement on their forum that servers are undergoing maintenance. Answer is that about as long as it took to post this.

What it says is they value their time more than their customers' time.

WallysWorld

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The server maintenance was announced on the SES forum:

Hello StormPowered community!

During the past several days, you may have experienced issues when attempting to log into StormPowered, access the community site, or access the customer support server.

These issues were caused by an extended Maintenance period that was performed over the past several days.

The StormPowered servers are now back online and you should no longer experience an interruption of service. The only thing still yet to be fully operational is the support ticket server, which will be available soon. In the meantime if you have any trouble, please contact us at https://www.stormpowered.com/store/t-contact.aspx so we can resolve your issue in a timely manner. Please make sure to include the email address associated with your StormPowered account when submitting the contact form.

As with all software updates (server and client side), there are always kinks to be worked out as they pop up. We sincerely appreciate your continued patience and understanding over the next several days as we straighten out any bugs that crop up.

Further updates will be posted as the information becomes available.

Thank you for your continued support of Storm Eagle Studios and StormPowered.com!

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's very odd that the date on the announcement thread's last post date is Dec 6, when the above referenced announcement is dated jan 11. Looks like that last post date is not working. Doesn't help people see the announcement.

edit: I am referring to SES's site.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about taking the old servers down only after the new ones work - when your product uses an online activation system?

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
None of the internet links in the games files work anymore, the one I'm most concerned about is the tech support, how we supposed to put in problem tickets now?