Has anyone tried to storyboard ASL scenario's

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In keeping with the fog of war argument I have been playing with the idea of "story boarding" a large ASL scenario.

This would be in the region of 3-6 full company scenarios with whatever bells and whistles exist for the game.

First an overall appreciation of the full game would be outlined, take this hill, VP , exit etc and then the story would begin.

The German would get his entry forces ( say 2 companies , trucks, AFV and some OBA) and a good idea of the next 3 turn of reinforcements.

Along the way more detail would be provided as to the overall objective this would be like OKH orders that come down line. This would at the moment be in the form of dl zip files..

The forces not on the board would be in groupings - say 3-4 - and would consist of: transport ( trucks) , other AFV, other vehicles ( AC, ht, )
other infantry, air power etc. This would be fed into the battle

On the Russian side a similar formula would be in play.

This is just the basic outline for now but I would be interested to see what readers think.

ALSO would be a degree of secret. Some "items" would just appear - wire that wasn't mentioned in the briefing, trenches on a level three hill,
guns that open up on a flank.

Also, there would be some "die in the line" conditions in that MMC ( sometimes AFV) would just have to largely sacrifice to gain time elsewhere.
This was the usual for Russian until about mid '43 and became the norm for Germans from late 43

In other words this would be strategic ASL.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Check out the various "squad bleeder" series of scenarios (example: https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/viewPub.php?id=1687) or the march madness WWI double-blind pack (http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/asl-march-madness-double-blind-pack/). these are both double-blind systems where you buy your forces but don't know your opponents forces or objectives, only your own, and have linked scenarios. If you buy the wrong stuff, your are screwed out of the gate. Not for everyone but similar to your strategic outline above minus the random events popping up on board.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The idea is interesting but it is more-or-less one-shot unless you get previous players to swear an oath of secrecy. If any player puts out an after-action report, subsequent games aren't quite the same. It sounds a bit like adding a "dungeon master" to ASL, for all that's good and bad for that sort of play. It might be more "productive" (get more bang for the buck invested by the dungeon master/umpire) for a group of simultaneous games, perhaps at a tournament or on vasl. Once you start down the road to umpired play, you can add more features, such as hidden movement, etc., but again at the expense of finding a person who is willing to perform the rolê of dungeon master/umpire.

JR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes to jrv there was a US civil war game that I saw many years ago that did largely that.

There is a little bit of variation that can be made to the "secret parts" based on dr/ DR which could be worked out
to avoid "knowing" the game.

There is a big "secure the big hill" game that I want to try this out on. It was a prelude to Kursk proper and
given that experience it was a wonder Kursk went ahead !

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just an update the small "intro" version is now near ready. See my post on this in the developer forum.

Thank you