Has anyone ever designed a scenario with Finns vs...

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WOAH, really? what happened?
Tip of the tail of the end of the war in Europe.
Hungarian S.S. formation was basically just a "roadblock" to the Americans.
The Hungarians, from the info I've been able to dig up, did knock out
a couple of American vehicles with panzerfausts, and put up decent resistance,
but were overrun and captured by the U.S. forces.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tip of the tail of the end of the war in Europe.
Hungarian S.S. formation was basically just a "roadblock" to the Americans.
The Hungarians, from the info I've been able to dig up, did knock out
a couple of American vehicles with panzerfausts, and put up decent resistance,
but were overrun and captured by the U.S. forces.
WOW, I wouldn't have thought any Hungarians would have ever came up against the Americans seeing as how they were on the Eastern Front and all, guess as they were SS they were on the Western Front then

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, would they be depicted as Hungarian or crappy SS?548s, 447s, or worse?

KE had two British V Hungarian scenarios, Spring of ‘45. Both were good, as I recall.
Interesting discussion- I did not know the US fought Hungarians on the ground.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, would they be depicted as Hungarian or crappy SS?548s, 447s, or worse?

KE had two British V Hungarian scenarios, Spring of ‘45. Both were good, as I recall.
Interesting discussion- I did not know the US fought Hungarians on the ground.
Those sound like good scenarios, again, I never knew that the British fought the Hungarians

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone ever tried to design a scenario covering the so called "Strangest Battle of WWII". The battle is described in the book "The Last Battle", by Stephen Harding. From Wikipedia: The Last Battle (Harding book) - Wikipedia

Published by Da Capo Press,[1] on May 7, 2013,[2] it describes a mixed force of United States Army, German Wehrmacht, and Austrian resistance fighters acting together to prevent the recapture of a number of French VIP prisoners being held at Itter Castle, Austria, by an SS assault party, ordered to retake the prison, days after Hitler’s suicide.

The fourteen prisoners being held in the facility included two former French Prime Ministers, Paul Reynaud and Édouard Daladier,[3] two former commanders of the French military, the son of famous prime minister Georges Clemenceau, and Marie-Agnès de Gaulle [fr], Resistance member and sister of General Charles de Gaulle.[1][4][5]

The mixed force garrison was trying to protect the French VIP prisoners from a holdout contingent of 17th SS Panzergrenadier. There were some American tankers, some Wehrmacht prisoners that the the Americans were holding (and who agreed to help protect the prisoners), some Austrian partisans, and several high level French officers, sports figures (at least one which acted heroically). The skirmish went on for a while until an American armored column came along and rescued the surrounded garrison.

I could see this using black SS counters for the 17th PzGr. The garrison would use American tank and crew counters, blue counters for the Wermacht troops, brown partisan counters for the Austrian resistance fighters, and French SMC's. The SSR(s) about which leaders could give orders to which troops would be just wacky! I think there were also some German prison officers and guards involved. I'm not sure if it would make a good scenario, but interesting to contemplate.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Has anyone ever tried to design a scenario covering the so called "Strangest Battle of WWII". The battle is described in the book "The Last Battle", by Stephen Harding. From Wikipedia: The Last Battle (Harding book) - Wikipedia

Published by Da Capo Press,[1] on May 7, 2013,[2] it describes a mixed force of United States Army, German Wehrmacht, and Austrian resistance fighters acting together to prevent the recapture of a number of French VIP prisoners being held at Itter Castle, Austria, by an SS assault party, ordered to retake the prison, days after Hitler’s suicide.

The fourteen prisoners being held in the facility included two former French Prime Ministers, Paul Reynaud and Édouard Daladier,[3] two former commanders of the French military, the son of famous prime minister Georges Clemenceau, and Marie-Agnès de Gaulle [fr], Resistance member and sister of General Charles de Gaulle.[1][4][5]

The mixed force garrison was trying to protect the French VIP prisoners from a holdout contingent of 17th SS Panzergrenadier. There were some American tankers, some Wehrmacht prisoners that the the Americans were holding (and who agreed to help protect the prisoners), some Austrian partisans, and several high level French officers, sports figures (at least one which acted heroically). The skirmish went on for a while until an American armored column came along and rescued the surrounded garrison.

I could see this using black SS counters for the 17th PzGr. The garrison would use American tank and crew counters, blue counters for the Wermacht troops, brown partisan counters for the Austrian resistance fighters, and French SMC's. The SSR(s) about which leaders could give orders to which troops would be just wacky! I think there were also some German prison officers and guards involved. I'm not sure if it would make a good scenario, but interesting to contemplate.
They made the game CASTLE ITTER out of this I think, an ASL scenario sure would be interesting if there's not one already

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I do remember that there actually is an ASL scenario that includes a force of US troops & Wehrmacht vs. SS. But I can't recall the historical notes while I doubt that it included a Prime Minister.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I do remember that there actually is an ASL scenario that includes a force of US troops & Wehrmacht vs. SS. But I can't recall the historical notes while I doubt that it included a Prime Minister.

von Marwitz
There is one called THE HOUR ZERO or something like that. But it has British troops, not American.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States

Yes I have made a scenario of just this situation.
It has not been playtested but if anyone wants to try it, they should contact me for a copy.
ask for ASL Scenario 542 LAST BATTLE
It has been submitted to March Madness group.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
It was originally done using BFP's mountain board with their mountain top castle overlay but has be redone using a MMP map.
I did leave out the wives, but with the female counters from LFT14 they could be added (specially as part of the VC).