Harvard psychiatrist - on Trump and what's next for him and us all

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Very good article - a conversation with Lance Dodes, Harvard psychiatrist, on Trump, and his supporters; psychologically speaking.

"If Trump is actually ever forced out it will have to be with Republican support. Consequently, his supporters will have people in their own party to turn to, and they and their politicians will create a version of reality that they can live with. There will likely be a mass denial that they ever really supported Trump.

A lot of people have said that he won't leave peacefully. I think that he will. He's clever that way; he perceives it would not be in his personal interest to have to be carried out of the Oval Office by the FBI. His focus on his personal benefit at any cost is why he's a successful sociopath.

My guess is that he will find a way to leave with an invented rationalization. He'll say he was pushed out by the bad people: the Mexicans, the crooked media, etc. He'll continue to portray himself as a victim, and he'll encourage people to rally around him and, not incidentally, around his companies. He'll maintain the near-psychotic view that he is not diminished at all but has been attacked by heathens. And a certain number of people will follow him."

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nah, he will easily transition in 2025 to winner of the 2024 election, xxxxxxx Trump :):):):):):)

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're trying to trigger the libs, you'll need to do better than that! ;)

But apart from the obvious triggering attempt, what did you think of the article? True? False?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump is a symptom of the much greater problem of the institutionalized privileged seeking to retain their immoral advantages.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump is a symptom of the much greater problem of the institutionalized privileged seeking to retain their immoral advantages.
Agreed. And that symptom is called neoliberalism. Here's a good explanation of it:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're suggesting Trump is a neo liberal?

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely. Case in point: Trumps 2017 Tax Plan - the one that mainly provided huge tax cuts to his rich pals at the expense of 'the people'.

Trumps other policies that advance privatization and deregulation also fit this definition.

Neoliberalism has nothing to do with helping the little guy and the only thing that is liberal about it is it's attempt to liberate runaway corporate capitalism.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did some Clinton aide touch you in an inappropriate place once? Trump, a neo-liberal? He's a populist. You know that.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why are you asking the same question about neoliberalism - twice (see above)? That said,

A populist is someone who's interest lies with 'the people'. You know, ordinary folks who've been given the shaft. Trump only plays one on TV. Do you not see that? - or do you actually think his interests lie with the people? If so, please give us an example of his thoughtful consideration of people other than himself and his rich pals. Would you like some examples of real populists ?

Last edited:

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump is kind of a populist, because his voters seem to think he is fighting the establishment or the "Deep State" or whatever conspiracy theory in vogue.

In reality, he realizes there is one born every minute and he takes full advantage of it,

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump is kind of a populist, because his voters seem to think he is fighting the establishment or the "Deep State" or whatever conspiracy theory in vogue.
In reality, he realizes there is one born every minute and he takes full advantage of it,
Not so sure. If I think a duck is an eagle, does that make the duck an eagle?

But yea, there's a sucker born every minute who will fight you to defend that duck.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting recent case in point about Trump's alleged 'populism': https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/29/leaked-audio-payday-loan-executive-bragging-about-white-house-access-reveals-quid

"Offering what one observer called "a crystal clear picture of how money buys influence in U.S. politics," leaked audio obtained Tuesday by consumer watchdog group Allied Progress showed executives from some of the largest payday lenders in the U.S. boasting about how they have used campaign donations to purchase access to President Donald Trump's White House."

but I guess you could argue that - 'payday lenders are people too!'

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I must say the word Harvard means only 'weird place today, overrunned by commie pigs and red facists, put simple, a bigly animal farm mentally ill utopia of orwellian hugemungus proportions.

You should know that a study showed that about 9 out of 10 in mental institutions had left leaning opinions, and not even the older patients showed any sign of being more non-leftist, you know like in the real word.

1 out of 10 had no left leaning opinions , I guess that must be Trump in your opinion. If Trump is what it takes to beat the leftist fearmongers that gone nuts., than he is our tragic hero that are prepared to be crucified by the mob.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I must say the word Harvard means only 'weird place today, overrunned by commie pigs and red facists, put simple, a bigly animal farm mentally ill utopia of orwellian hugemungus proportions.

You should know that a study showed that about 9 out of 10 in mental institutions had left leaning opinions, and not even the older patients showed any sign of being more non-leftist, you know like in the real word.

1 out of 10 had no left leaning opinions , I guess that must be Trump in your opinion. If Trump is what it takes to beat the leftist fearmongers that gone nuts., than he is our tragic hero that are prepared to be crucified by the mob.
Ha, Ha, Ha. 🤣🤣🤣😜
I have to give the Lesser Finnish Tit 🐦 a B+ at least for side splitting humour.

RandyT0001

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Trump is a demagogue that suffers from unprincipled elitist narcissist personality disorder.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,

On the article. Yes, Trump is a narcissist. He operates in a world of extreme hyperbole.
However, most of the rest of the article is a bunch of liberal (leftist) talking points. As the article progressed I wondered about the mental state of the author. Sounds like he is suffering from TDS.

Forgive me for my confusion on some stuff. I can no longer tell the difference between a liberal or a leftist.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgive me for my confusion on some stuff. I can no longer tell the difference between a liberal or a leftist.
Or a tRUMPist and a blind carpenter... neither one of you can see anything other than what you dream up.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,
On the article. Yes, Trump is a narcissist. He operates in a world of extreme hyperbole.
However, most of the rest of the article is a bunch of liberal (leftist) talking points. As the article progressed I wondered about the mental state of the author. Sounds like he is suffering from TDS.
Chas,
Well, you read it at least. Thanks.
And at least there's common ground about Trump's narcissistic personality (disorder) which causes his extreme reactions (hyperbole).
Labels - too confusing to even address here.

I try to find good thinkers / writers; all else is a waste of time. I get disappointed by the trend towards our thinking inside information silos. The guys who run the media outlets love to keep us there. Good for profits - and keeps us from commenting on how they're fuc*ing all of us.

Read Matt Taibbi's 'Hate, Inc.' Taibbi is an insider - call him a whistleblower on media which he's been involved with for decades. Very good stuff on how we're schooled to think.