Harpoon

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys,
I saw a few of you talking about Harpoon 4 in another thread and wanted to see if someone could give me an update on the game.

I bought the original Harpoon well before it became "Classic" and thought it was great. This was many, many, many years ago. It dropped off my screen until a few weeks ago and I'm thinking of picking it up again.

I enjoy modern, real-time wargames (I'm currently playing ATF) and thought this would be a nice addition.

I guess I have a couple of questions:

1. What do you guys like about the game?
2. What do you dislike about the game?
3. Which version should I pick up, or should I wait for H4?
4. Any general comments about the game or gameplay?

Thanks a lot,
Brian

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I also bought Harpoon 1.0 and went through the upgrade path

I liked:

- the use of the various radars and techniques to find the enemy.
- ability to overwhelm the enemy
- requirement to keep reserves

I disliked:

- long periods of nothing to do
- all the popups
- long periods of no action (so I compress the time, only to find out that I've compressed it too much, and hell is raining down on me)

Am not sure if I'll buy H4 or not. I currently own Harpoon 3, but for some reason haven't played it much. Technically, it's tops.

Darksky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Update ?

Well, Ubisoft stop supporting the Harpoon4 Project :(

http://harpoon4.ubi.com
( err..this is my 1st post and i'm asking my self how to put another flag under my Nickname, instead of USA flag :D )

Last edited:

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Oh No!!! - I could see this coming - withdrawal symptoms are setting in :confused:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Darksky said:
Update ?

( err..this is my 1st post and i'm asking my self how to put another flag under my Nickname, instead of USA flag :D )
Click on the User CP button at the top of the forum. Next click on Options. You should see an option to join the "usergroup" with the flag you want. Let us know if you have more problems.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How different was Harpoon 4 supposed to have been from Harpoon 3? Did any of the planned improvements for Harpoon 4 make it into 3 via patches and other add-ons?

CV32

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just a personal observation, but I think Harpoon 4's "improvements" would have been largely limited to what one might call "eye candy": 3-D graphics, etc. Generally speaking, these kind of improvements haven't been the driving force behind what keeps hard core Harpooners loving their sim.

Nowadays, the expectation is that whatever we might have been expecting from Harpoon 4 will have to come from what is being called "The Next Harpoon" (TNH).

VCDH

Harpoon Development Team
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
Yeah, I've pretty much given up on seeing Harpoon 4 in my lifetime.
Well...I would say that your correct regarding Harpoon4 as Ubi-Soft thought it would be. However TNH is alive and well. For the obvious reasons I am not allowed to comment but we are taking the best parts out of both H3 and HC and putting them into TNH. I will say that 3D is part of the TNH plan.

Don Maddox said:
How different was Harpoon 4 supposed to have been from Harpoon 3? Did any of the planned improvements for Harpoon 4 make it into 3 via patches and other add-ons?
Negative. Harpoon4 similar to Harpoon (both versions) in terms of interface and had 3D graphics. You controlled the view via a toggle button. While beta testing it, I found that the 3D graphics and the interface worked quite well. It certainly looked pretty cool watchin F-14s engage Tu-142s in 3D.

There was also improvement to the DB to take into account amphibious operations and a very user friendly air operations manager.

The current version of H3 is 3.6.3. 3.7 is currently in the 3rd release of beta testing and looks like the one that will be released in a slightly modified form. Improvements for 3.7 are full tanking capability, multiple weapons packing (quad packing for ESSM) and I think facility reloading....but don't quote me on that. As I stated earlier I was in NY on a job for AGSI and missed the last build.

Later
D

Dale Hillier
AGSI RD&T
Harpoint Admin

Sunburn

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Harpoon 3 v3.7 is going to be a _massive_ improvement. Both players and scenario designers will have reasons to celebrate.

Divefreak

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
VCDH said:
Well...I I will say that 3D is part of the TNH plan.
Oh no! Please no 3d. I think it is nothing usefull in a game like Harpoon.

>There was also improvement to the DB to take into account >amphibious operations

This sounds better. A LPD/LSD should be able to launch a LCM/LCAC
an get it back on board in the game

Regards René

Sunburn

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Divefreak said:
VCDH said:
Well...I I will say that 3D is part of the TNH plan.
There are different types of 3D. Back when the first prototype screens of H4 came out, some of them had a very useful "3D tactical" view. The idea was that you could observe the situation (primarily unit positions and sensor coverage) in three dimensions instead of the typical two. The units themselves were low-detail 3D objects. This is quite different from the up-close "show-me-the-landing-gear-opening" 3D that dominates simulation programs (and is also present in Sonalysts titles like Fleet Command & Sub Command).

VCDH

Harpoon Development Team
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Divefreak said:
While this sentiment is shared by the majority of hard core players the unfortunate reality that 3D graphics are a required part of any game in order to make any kind of successful venture.

That being said, the option will always be there to revert back to the standard NTDS tactical display. At least, that's what is planned.

Later
D

Dale Hillier
AGSI RD&T
Harpoint Admin