Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: * Known HUD Database bugs

I saw a bug like this, too.

Regards
You have to be more specific. Are you talking about the Super Frelon? (I can see Herman's post this time because you re-posted it.) It's not even in that scenario, so how could he have spotted an error with it? This is exactly what I've been talking about--over and over, he posts old bug reports that the database editor already knows about because I'm the one who posted them in the first place and which have nothing to do with a particular scenario and which in most cases have already been fixed anyway. This is why he is on Ignore. Nothing he does is actually useful or helpful. This is why so many people have given up on him.

Let me give you a bit of advice. It took me a while to figure this out. If you enjoy Harpoon, just play the game and have a good time with it. If you like writing scenarios for it, write them, and have fun, and share the ones you want to share so other people can enjoy them. Use whatever database (or databases) you like. I happen to like the HUD-4. I think it's the best available option for Harpoon ANW, and it keeps getting better with each release as the data is updated, as new platforms are added, as the occasional bug is squashed, and so on. So it's what I use and it's what I recommend to people who are interested in writing their own scenarios. If you happen to prefer some other database, use that instead. At one time, I may have thought it mattered, but it really doesn't.

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I saw a bug like this, too.
You have to be more specific. Are you talking about the Super Frelon? (I can see Herman's post this time because you re-posted it.) It's not even in that scenario, so how could he have spotted an error with it?
No, he doesn't need to be more specific. I understood Piluso easily and found the bug he was talking about because I actually bothered to look. Note that Piluso saw a bug like the Frelon. He never said it was a Frelon.

The problem has already been identified, yet Mark cannot even bother to investigate and fix his own problems. There's nothing anyone else can do about them. All anyone can do is continue to warn others of the HUD bugs. HUD is like syphillis. There's no way to force anyone into treatment. The disease will only rot the brain of the person suffering from it. The only thing anyone can do is warn others so as to prevent the spread of the disease.

Since he refuses to fix problems with his own scenarios, no one will ever play them and why he feels the need to beg others to try his scenarios. So long as he maintains the attitude that all problems are the responsibility of the player, the Harpoon community will continue to turn its back towards him.

A couple of my early scenarios do have a couple of bugs, but these have been reported, and it is possible (pretty easy, in fact) to work around the two or three weapons that don't fire properly and win the scenario anyway. I left those scenarios on Harpgamer so people can experiment.
Mark openly admits that his scenarios have bugs, knows exactly which ones they are, and STILL refuses to correct any of them. Hapless players are left to, "work around the two or three weapons that don't fire properly". It is abundantly clear from his own words that no matter what problem is reported, it will never be fixed. This is the underlying attitude of HUD and the primary reason why no one plays HUD scenarios.​

Last edited:

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

The Battle of Baegryeong-do
Ran the scen up until the AI started blasting unarmed neutral ships from this known HUD bug:

AI engages neutral units
http://tinyurl.com/2felkf7

AI deliberately engages neutral units even though they are not hostile towards the AI and are unarmed​

At that point, I initiated the HUD Scenario Protocol and stopped playing as soon as the first known bug was detected.

View attachment 40729

A couple of my early scenarios do have a couple of bugs, but these have been reported, and it is possible (pretty easy, in fact) to work around the two or three weapons that don't fire properly and win the scenario anyway. I left those scenarios on Harpgamer so people can experiment.
Mark openly admits that his scenarios have bugs, knows exactly which ones they are, and STILL refuses to correct any of them. Hapless players are left to, "work around the two or three weapons that don't fire properly". It is abundantly clear from his own words that no matter what problem is reported, it will never be fixed. This is the underlying attitude of HUD and the primary reason why no one plays HUD scenarios.​

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Just for fun, I've put together a bunch of random generation tables for coming up with ideas for Harpoon scenarios.
You failed to include an option when they encounter one of the numerous HUD bugs so I'll remind them of the HUD scenario protocol that seems to work for me. I'll run an HUD scenario right up until the moment an HUD database bug is encountered. Then, I immediately stop. Thus, I never play more than 5 or 10 minutes of any given HUD scenario and saves me a great deal of wasted time. :)

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Just posted my newest Harpoon scenario
With the usual same old HUD database bugs just like this:

Weapon never hits II
http://tinyurl.com/ad8wrz

Weapons that hit in 3.9.3 will never hit target (Originally reported by Juramentado)​

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Scenario generator tables at Harpgamer

I have updated my scenario brainstorming tables...

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/topic/20295-uncle-marks-amazing-scenario-design-system/

I've added another table, "100 EEZs Where Things Could Go Wrong." In this case, it's not the country itself that is in trouble, but the EEZ where a confrontation of one kind or another might take place. This includes all kinds of countries, ranging from those who might be particularly aggressive in defending their EEZ, to those involved in territorial disputes over borders, to those who have large EEZs that are hard to patrol and might look tempting to someone willing to engage in illegal fishing or similar activities.

Enjoy!

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I've added another table, "100 EEZs Where Things Could Go Wrong."
Still seems to be missing a table for:

"100 HUD database bugs where Things Could Go Wrong"

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New version of the HUD-4 available

The newest version of the HUD-4 (June 1 2013 version) has been released...

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/780-hud4-v111/

Enjoy!

(Remember, to play older scenarios with the new version of the database, you must open them in the scenario editor and rebuild them, but this is simply a matter of using the Edit/Scenario Rebuild/Rebuild All Units command and then saving the scenario. Then they should play without any trouble. It takes about 15 seconds.)

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

(Remember, to play older scenarios with the new version of the database, you must open them in the scenario editor and rebuild them, but this is simply a matter of using the Edit/Scenario Rebuild/Rebuild All Units command and then saving the scenario. Then they should play without any trouble. It takes about 15 seconds.)
Following this course of action will immediately corrupt your scenario with this HUD database bug:

All land units re-named to default
http://tinyurl.com/25ym7dc

All land units re-named to default when scenario is re-built by SE thereby corrupting all ViConds dependent upon them​

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New scenario available

I just posted my 19th scenario of 2013...

This "what if" Cold War scenario assumes World War III took place in 1985. It also assumes that, in case the Suez Canal becomes unusable, some merchant ships and tankers are taking an alternate route around the southern tip of Africa. Soviet forces operating out of Angola will attempt to disrupt Allied shipping. Dutch, South African, and American forces in the area must protect the merchants and destroy the Soviet task force.

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/822-operation-southern-guard-1985/

(I hope people enjoy this one. I found it very hard to beat, although that might simply be my own lack of tactical brilliance, or patience, or attention to detail, or something. But it took a bunch of tries before I could nail the task force and do it before the Soviets sunk too many merchants to achieve the victory conditions. And I already knew where all the bad guys were!)

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I found it very hard to beat
Just tried the scenario and I would not doubt it especially when there are still HUD weapons that will not hit their targets due to database errors such as this:

Weapon never hits in 394 II
http://tinyurl.com/ad8wrz

Weapons that hit in 3.9.3 will never hit target in 3.9.4 (Originally reported by Juramentado)

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New scenario available

I just uploaded my newest Harpoon scenario. That's 20 for the year so far!

This Cold War scenario involves Portugal undertaking a training exercise in the Gulf of Sidra. Libya has warned that it will fire on ships violating what it considers its territorial waters. It is possible that this exercise could turn into a very special learning experience for Portugal...

(This one turned out to be a surprisingly challenging one when I tested it. The trick is to keep in mind that the two Portuguese ships only have guns for anti-aircraft and anti-missile defense and the Portuguese A-7s, while capable aircraft, only have Sidewinders and iron bombs at their disposal. The Libyans have a definite edge. It is possible to win, but you may have to employ second-by-second shooting with your AA guns to take down some of the incoming threats. In any event, I hope people enjoy it.)

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/823-sidra-piper-1985/

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada