Country
llCanada

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 29th scenario of 2013...

This Cold War scenario assumes the Soviets have stealthily moved a couple of submarines into Hudson Bay. Canada considers this intolerable and acts to remove this threat.

I think this one turned out quite well. It might work well as a scenario for people getting used to Harpoon ANW because it is a straightforward search-and-destroy mission and you only have a few ships and aircraft to control. The only drawback, and this is often the case with an ASW scenario, is that there can be a lot of waiting while you search. There is at least one twist, however, that might show up and surprise you.

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/839-gray-hermit-1984/

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: * Known HUD Database bugs

search-and-destroy mission
Just tried it. Since the HUD still has not been able to solve it's problems with weapons unable to hit their targets, it makes the 'destroy' part difficult to achieve.

ASW/WH torps tracking wrong targets
http://tinyurl.com/6bwwbj

WH/ASW torps tracking targets they cannot hit.​

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

All databases and scenarios run under the HUE game engine are susceptible to this bug. The PlayersDB solution to this problem is to always play scenarios under the H3 game version, where this bug is non-existent. You will never see an ASW torpedo chasing ships, helicopters, or sonobuoys in H3. Users can decide for themselves if they want to fight against the bugs or just play something that works. The option to play scenarios under the more functional H3 version is simply not available to the HUD.

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just posted my 30th Harpoon scenario of the year...

For this one, I tried something different. This is actually a trio of scenarios, following the Japanese destroyer Haruyuki (DD 128) through one fateful week in 2015, as she is suddenly thrust into the center of a conflict between Japan and North Korea. Since the events take place over the course of only a few days, the Haruyuki and the submarine assisting her, the Wakashio (SS 587) are not able to resupply, and so they will have fewer and fewer weapons as the scenarios progess. This was accomplished by using the logistics editing options in H3 ANW.

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/841-the-haruyuki-saga-2015/

Wolff

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting premise for a scenario. I tried it myself as a first time with the HUD4 and your scens. After loading the scen, Envoy, the first time I launched the Seahawk, I realized my audio settings weren't checked, so I turned them on in the game preferences and the game locked up. Ok, I thought, well it may have been because I changed the settings during the game. I closed the game and went back to the H3 Configuration from the launcher before I launched the game and set them there. I re-launched the game and the scen "Envoy" again and I had audio this time.

I launched the seahawk again and plotted a course for it. I then decided I wanted to alter the course slightly by grabbing the middle of it and dragging the course down. After the new route was plotted, the game locked up again and I couldn't get it to respond.

I am disappointed as I would have liked to of played this scen but it crashes on my machine within a minute of play.

rkoelbach

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Won the first Scenario of this Mini-Battleset written by Mark Gellis. It was close, though. After I downed six F-6 Farmers and a PRC Romeo Sub, for a long time nothing happened and it looked like an easy win, with the remaining Task just to Keep the DD in the marked area. But a well-timed attack followed: The three PRC Patrol Boats went full Speed and closed in as well as there appeared two H-5 Bombers. When they were confirmed as hostiles they alraedy delivered their bombs and the destroyer was hit.

SAMs downed those Bombers and an Orion sunk the three Patrol Boats before they managed to fire a single shot.

Some time later, victory was awarded.

Nice one, Mark!

On with part two.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I am disappointed as I would have liked to of played this scen but it crashes on my machine within a minute of play.
You got 59 seconds further than I did. :)

rkoelbach

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Playing the second Scenario of the battleset, I got the game-lock, too. After plotting a course for the Seahawk, everything stopped. Game over. Using 3.11.1.0

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Harpoon and Command

Just a quick update...

I'm spending most of my gaming time on Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations these days. Harpoon is a terrific game, and I will probably come back to Harpoon and the HUD-4 every now and then, but at the moment I'm busy exploring the many possibilities of Command. It's a terrific game and I recommend people try it out.

For more information on Command, you can look here...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1154

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air.Naval.Operations

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

One of the best things that can be said about MNO is that Harpoon no longer has to deal with the diarrheal stream of HUD scenarios.