Harpoon 2002 Gold or Harpoon 3

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok, I used to play Harpoon for hours no, days straight. I loved it and would be happy to play the old version still. Alas, it ran on Win 3.x and not 98. Now, Harpoon runs on Windows 98 and XP. The AI has been improved and it comes with all the 200+ scenarios. So, which one should I get.

I loved the Admiral's Edition and would be very happy with that. I tried the old Harpoon 3 briefly. I was confused by the new interface buttons and the use of exclusion zones. When I d/l a new copy I don't plan on printing out the 300 page rule book for Harpoon 3. However, I would I like that it looks more like the real thing. So, should I stick to Harpoon 2002 Gold or should I get the newer version? Is anyone familiar with the new versions that run on XP? Has anyone tried them?

Picking up Harpoon for my new notebook would kick. I can keep it in the background while I work in the coffee shop.

Last edited:

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Juno said:
Ok, I used to play Harpoon for hours no, days straight. I loved it and would be happy to play the old version still. Alas, it ran on Win 3.x and not 98. Now, Harpoon runs on Windows 98 and XP. The AI has been improved and it comes with all the 200+ scenarios. So, which one should I get.

I loved the Admiral's Edition and would be very happy with that. I tried the old Harpoon 3 briefly. I was confused by the new interface buttons and the use of exclusion zones. When I d/l a new copy I don't plan on printing out the 300 page rule book for Harpoon 3. However, I would I like that it looks more like the real thing. So, should I stick to Harpoon 2002 Gold or should I get the newer version? Is anyone familiar with the new versions that run on XP? Has anyone tried them?

Picking up Harpoon for my new notebook would kick. I can keep it in the background while I work in the coffee shop.
This is a very contentious question in the Harpoon community. There are many followers of both games and everyone has their personal preference. I play both versions and enjoy both versions. I recommend that you get both. They are worth it.

To get an all-round description of the games, why don't you visit the developer's site at: AGSI http://www.advancedgaming.biz

If you like, you can contact me by PM. I just don't want to see the same flame wars that I have seen on other sites raise their ugly heads here.

Last edited:

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks. I've been hanging around their site drooling. God I love that game. Hopefully the new computer will arrive today.

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Juno said:
Thanks. I've been hanging around their site drooling. God I love that game. Hopefully the new computer will arrive today.
Preaching to the choir, buddy. I play daily and am also drooling over their proposed MP version. Hope to see you as the OpFor sometime soon!

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Okies then, a few questions if I may.
1. Do the two versions have the same scenarios?
2. With good knowlege of the old Admirals Edition would I be able to play Harpoon 3 without reading the manual right away? Specifically, will I figure out what the interface buttons do intuitively?
3. How much of a nuisance are exclusion zones really?

I'm also looking at the MP version. Ah, I can see my schedule going down the tubes. ;)

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Juno said:
Okies then, a few questions if I may.
1. Do the two versions have the same scenarios?
No. However, I have been re-making many of Brad Leyte's HC & Gold scenarios (with his permission) into H3 scenarios. The underlying ideas are really good and I think that more should be done to facilitate this. Personal opinion, only. I feel that all of the research done is slightly wasted for just a single scenario.

Juno said:
2. With good knowledge of the old Admirals Edition, would I be able to play Harpoon 3 without reading the manual right away? Specifically, will I figure out what the interface buttons do intuitively?
Yes, you should be able to play right away if you played the AE edition previously. IMO, the interface buttons will not be as intuitive as you might like. Definitely, you will have an inkling on their function but you really need to do lots of experimenting and reading to get their full function.

Also, there's lots and lots of stuff that is not in the manual, unfortunately. The only way to learn about it is to read the various forums. There seems to be a whole tonne of new forums springing up EVERYWHERE! You've got AGSI's, HULL, ScenShare, HarpoonEnFrance, SHARC's, and HarPoint. A real embarassment of riches.

Perhaps, we will even be allowed to discuss Harpoon on WHQ in the future.

Juno said:
3. How much of a nuisance are exclusion zones really?
The zones you speak of are really not much of a problem. Not all of the scenarios use them very much and they are very easy to learn.

Juno said:
I'm also looking at the MP version. Ah, I can see my schedule going down the tubes. ;)
Sleep is for wimps.

Last edited:

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you for the input sir. I will definitely be picking up both versions. Where is that damned purolator guy?!

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Attaboy! :D

FYI, not too long ago, I think that AGSI offered some special discount for owning both versions of Harpoon. Why don't you check on it. It may save you a few bucks.

Last edited: