Happy Link

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too much negativity in many of these links. Let's start a happy link. Had a great time with a new TPP scenario? Tell us about it. Got a good local asl group with great games happening? Tell us about it. You've seen the ASLSK hook a noob and you're excited about it? Tell us about it. Happy-go-lucky, sh#t-eating grins only here please. :cheeky:
I know it's oxymoronic, but happy grog comments only please hehe.

Auslander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, as a Newb, everything about ASL makes me happy.. (well, ALMOST everything. I'd like to have my ASLRBv2, but we can't have everything)...

My neighbor and I are still learning, working with infantry rules, etc... We played S1 Retaking Vierville this week- he desperately wanted to play the Germans, so I happily took the Yanks. It was close, too. On the last turn, we had units locked in CC in the only victory hex he was able to occupy. I fired into the hex (knowing full well what might happen)- well, I got a 2KIA result, and you'll never guess who got randomly selected... BOTH of my units! It worked out in the end, though. The result broke his units, so I won by a hair.... I told him that it was representative of why everyone gets addicted to ASL- anything can happen, and victory seems to come down to the wire more often than not.

We are making arrangements now to send the wives out shopping again- I wanna play War of the Rats!

Aus :D

-- I also got to submit my first game to ROAR... Now I feel all official!!

Last edited:

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor said:
I know it's oxymoronic, but happy grog comments only please hehe.

:D

Playing Raate Road and my only surviving Russian tank is making it down the frozen river which is a real highlight as my infantry is being slaughtered by the Finns.

Keith

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
A couple of week ago I played Guards Counterattack as the Germans. I'm still learning a lot of the details of the rules so I looked at is as a chance to try to excercise some of them.

It was my first attempt at using fire lanes. I had a German LMG firing down the street where the Russians attempted to cross (on the German side of the board this would be the left-flank or the Soviet right). He had reduced my defenders in the building across the street and the only hope I had to slow down the wave of Guards coming across the street was a pitiful 1FP fire lane from my LMG.

His first Guard's squad stepped out into the street - BAM! - failed a morale check. The next squad stepped out into the street - BAM! - same deal. The 10-2 leader stepped out into the street - you guessed it - KIA! Three incredibly low rolls in a row on my part. My opponent, who was/is teaching me the game, took it in stride (much to his credit - I don't think I would have taken it as well). He looked at the board, looked at the dice, looked at me, and quietly removed the leader. Definite sportsmanship points on his part! :cheeky:

Anyway the fire lane completely turned things around for me. With no leader on that side of the board to rally his troops, I was able to go on to win.

The scenario introduced me to the powerful ASL concepts of fire lanes and dicing your opponent (I really do give credit to the dice for that win, not my skill). Now I use firelanes every chance I get (and those same dice too by the way:D ).

- Rick

Priest

Reaction score
My most memerable moment came during an SL game. Forget the name of the scenario, but, I had one German sergent armed with a lmg on an open hilltop surrounded by Russians. Those Russians couldn't kill that sergent to save thier lives, he passed every MC or the Russian fire was ineffetive. Everytime the sergent fired a Russian squad would break, went on to win that game. This was a ftf game so me and my opponent had some fun with the indestructable sergent.

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Sounds like the German equivalent of Audie Murphy. "Zum Hell und Zuruck!"

- Rick

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:surprise: :surprise: :surprise: Before ASL came out, I played at a SL tournament in the norhtern Chicago suburbs. Dont remenber the scenario, nor the opponent. BUT, I had 1 10-2 leader with a flamethrower who calmly marched down the street killing everything he shot at while not getting a scratch.

Whenever I meet Dave Ramirez at the Chicago open, he reminds me of that (he was a spectator). It was just amazing.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a scenario of "Burn Gurkha Burn" where on one flank a steadily whittled down Japanese force--only two half squads with flamethrowers left--had to take out an entire British platoon on a hill--and miraculously did. On the other flank, where I needed to charge a hill populated by a British platoon, including a heroic 9-2 leader, my attackers had to brave multiple -4 shots, and one half squad actually did survive to go into CC and possibly win me the scenario. He didn't survive, but I had a huge moral victory (boosted considerably afterwards, when we discovered that the 2nd hill was out of play and I didn't have to take it at all).

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I got 2 scenarios soon to be published by MMP.
I started a tournament which is over all expectations.
We attract Newbies every regular game session.
The last newbie ordered the ASL Starter Kit.
I have 2 devoted play-testers (thanks Phil, Dick).
This weekend I had some friends playing four of my scenarios, ON2, ON4, ON6, ON8 and they all went to the last turn.
I won Soldiers Of Destruction (as the russian). :)

Thank God for the ASL Happy Link!

Last edited:

paulkenny

Reaction score
Hey, I won NFNH 5 Wounded 5 Times in a Day, FE 53 Misfortune this weekend and lost DR 3 Hellfire Pass. :D In my lost I was making good progress up the E1 escarpment when the 88L gun went wild and blasted several stacks of infantry wounding leaders, KIA'ing squads as well as destroying tanks. Just a bloody mess of dead brits!!! :cry:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to thank Victor! and zgrose and a few others that have offered help on ASL rules, using VASL and more as an old SL/COI/dabbled with ASL player turned full blown ASL junkie suddenly.

The ASLSK, IMHO, was the best thing that MMP could of done for grabbing new players/returning players to the system. I would not of set up VASL and attempted to play ASL again without it.

ASL can obviously be very daunting, and if I would of heard one "RTFM!!!" type of responses to a Q that I had, I probably would of hung it up as well.

Instead, I've found a bunch of helpful people, fun people and am having a blast. Not sure that I can keep up this pace of playing nightly until the wee hours, but am enjoying it while I can!

paulkenny

Reaction score
GJK said:
I'd like to thank Victor! and zgrose and a few others that have offered help on ASL rules, using VASL and more as an old SL/COI/dabbled with ASL player turned full blown ASL junkie suddenly.

The ASLSK, IMHO, was the best thing that MMP could of done for grabbing new players/returning players to the system. I would not of set up VASL and attempted to play ASL again without it.

ASL can obviously be very daunting, and if I would of heard one "RTFM!!!" type of responses to a Q that I had, I probably would of hung it up as well.

Instead, I've found a bunch of helpful people, fun people and am having a blast. Not sure that I can keep up this pace of playing nightly until the wee hours, but am enjoying it while I can!
And VASL is the best way to play as you dont have to smell your helpful fun people!

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
paulkenny said:
And VASL is the best way to play as you dont have to smell your helpful fun people!
Hey!! I resemble that remark!! :surprise:

Hams

Reaction score
Country
ll
I was introduced to ordinance and vehicles today even if I did lose Pavlov's House in the process... but even better we had our first monthly ASL meet with 9 players in attendance. :D

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
GJK said:
I'd like to thank Victor! and zgrose and a few others that have offered help on ASL rules, using VASL and more as an old SL/COI/dabbled with ASL player turned full blown ASL junkie suddenly
w00t! :D

GJK said:
Move over to PBEM and it is a little less strain on the system. :)

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do want to try it pbem soon. I play Combat Mission via pbem almost exclusively - I'll have up to 10 games going at once. The pace is just right for pbem games in it - I am a bit worried that vasl/ASL would be a bit slow, but I guess that would obviously depend on the size of the scenario and the turn-around rates of you and your opponent.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
GJK said:
I do want to try it pbem soon. I play Combat Mission via pbem almost exclusively - I'll have up to 10 games going at once. The pace is just right for pbem games in it - I am a bit worried that vasl/ASL would be a bit slow, but I guess that would obviously depend on the size of the scenario and the turn-around rates of you and your opponent.
It actually goes pretty quick. Obvious not in absolute time terms but when you play out the PBEM you are doing something all the time rather than waiting on your opponent since all of his/her thought processing have been compressed down to the time between clicking "Next Step". It feels a lot faster.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
here's my recent 'happy-happening'

I just 'shocked' one B1-bis and eliminated another with a CH with one 37L AT in one phase; it still had rate but ran out of targets. :D

Alan

paulkenny

Reaction score
alanp said:
here's my recent 'happy-happening'

I just 'shocked' one B1-bis and eliminated another with a CH with one 37L AT in one phase; it still had rate but ran out of targets. :D

Alan
Why not continue after the shocked B1? Perhaps a DI or something to put it further out of play!