Happy Canada Day!

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
PS the Bruins still will beat the Canucks!
Bruins and Canucks? It is more like the Canadians vs the Lightning. But to be honest, I don't like hockey...the only sport I follow is actually NFL football.
Go Tennessee Titans!

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not sure if that is the proper salutation for Canada Day but regardless I hope all our Canadian comrades have a great and safe holiday.
By the way...you do have it correct...it is Happy Canada Day. Although 1 July is also tempered in history as the fist day of the Battle of the Somme...60,000 Commonwealth casualties, including over 700 Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel...a 91% casualty rate. Nothing to celebrate there.😱

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The Battle of Gettysburg also begun on this day 158 years ago.

RIP Johnny Reb
RIP Yankee

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
By the way...you do have it correct...it is Happy Canada Day. Although 1 July is also tempered in history as the fist day of the Battle of the Somme...60,000 Commonwealth casualties, including over 700 Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel...a 91% casualty rate. Nothing to celebrate there.😱
Not Commonwealth, British Empire casualties.

FWIW, the holiday was known as Dominion Day then.

Newfoundland is part of Canada now, but on 1 July 1916, not a single Canadian unit was on the Somme.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you for the unnecessary history lesson Cpl Dorosh. They are Commonwealth nations today, does it take anything away from their deaths that they were Empire at the time? I never stated there were Canadians on the Somme, only that Canada Day falls on that date.