Happy 20th Anniversary MMP

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those of us of a certain age remember the dark days of uncertainty about the future of the game when Monarch Avalon, Inc. sold their entire line of games to Hasbro, Inc. in 1998. It was just twenty years ago on January 15, 1999 that MMP reached an agreement with Hasbro "to develop, produce, and distribute games and other products for Avalon Hill's Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) game system". (from ASL's Wikipedia page)

And there was much rejoicing in the land.

Thanks, MMP!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Happy birthday!

But dang! 20 years have passed already?! Does not seem that long ago...

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Twenty years :

- preserving the rules from wild modifications
- providing solid expertise for answering rules questions and issuing errata
- thus allowing the gaming community to remain united
- developing the core modules to completion
- designing scenario packs, the Journals, HASL modules
- being benevolent with the TPP - even republishing some of their good stuff - as they stimulate the development of the game

Thank you all and congratulations for the fine work ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, thank goodness there hasn't been an ecumenical schism or a war of the roses. Coincidentally, my son is 21 years old so it DEFINITELY feels that long ...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The blue-on-white Swedish Volunteers are eternally grateful, as they probably would not have existed without MMP !!!
Aren't they meant to appear in an official product some day - or did I miss it (I have the original pack) ?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Monday.

One of the original Swedish designers told me last weekend that it is up to MMP when and how this is turned into an MMP product. As the module is very small, this might be accomplished as part of a Journal, but this is a guess. So, next Monday is as good a guess as any :).

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Monday.

One of the original Swedish designers told me last weekend that it is up to MMP when and how this is turned into an MMP product. As the module is very small, this might be accomplished as part of a Journal, but this is a guess. So, next Monday is as good a guess as any :).
I have recently played three scenarios out of this pack and I have enjoyed them. It would be a nice, even tough minor, addition to the system have these available as official ones.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP has done a great job keeping ASL alive, maintaining a steady course with support and new products. :thumbsup:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes - thanks for making me spend all that money, all that time arranging and cutting out stupid counters, all that time sitting staring at some stupid board containing those stupid counters and making me roll dice beyond count and generally wishing that I could grind those stupid dice into dust in my hand.

Enjoyed every minute - thank you?

(This is of course British humour :))

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes - thanks for making me spend all that money, all that time arranging and cutting out stupid counters
Don't forget clipping them.

But on the other hand, if you did not do all this, you'd never have the chance to experience this:

Priceless!

von Marwitz