Hand-to-Hand vs. Close Combat

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
I may be revealing ignorance/newbieness here, but when can HtH be used instead of CC? I had heard it was used in DASL only. Is this true?

Any help and/or thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

- Rick

Raider

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
purdyrc said:
I may be revealing ignorance/newbieness here, but when can HtH be used instead of CC? I had heard it was used in DASL only. Is this true?
Hi,

HtH isn't available in ASLSK. For ASL the grognards have to answer.

Greets Robert

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
HtH can be used in Red Barricades, by Japanese (must be used), by "Dare Death" Chinese squads, Gurhkas, Deluxe ASL and various SSRs. I might be missing a few.

Rules to check:

G1.64 Japanese ATTACKER
J2.31 (only ATTACKER may declare HtH)
RB SSR10
A25.43 Gurka (has option to declare HtH)
ABtF SSR10
BRT SSR3
G18.62 Dare Death

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The Purist said:
HtH can be used in Red Barricades, by Japanese (must be used), by "Dare Death" Chinese squads, Gurhkas, Deluxe ASL and various SSRs. I might be missing a few.
- The actual rules for HtH are in Chapter J for DASL
- Japanese MUST used HtH in attack or if they ambush
- Ghurkas MAY(MUST?)use HtH in attack or if they ambush
- Red Barricades: Both side have the option to make a CC go HtH
- Certain scenarios have SSR that allow one or both sides to go HtH
- Read the nationality characteristics that you're playing with.
- Read the specific HASL asnd/or SSR for the scenario you are playing.
- If nationality characteristics, CG SSR, and/or scenario SSR do not give you HtH, you can't do it.

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
This explains why I've never seen the HtH rules - I don't have chapter J. Are these rules available anywhere else? I think I would like to be able to add them to my games, but without having the rules, that makes it impossible.

- Rick

da priest

Reaction score
purdyrc said:
This explains why I've never seen the HtH rules - I don't have chapter J. Are these rules available anywhere else? I think I would like to be able to add them to my games, but without having the rules, that makes it impossible.

- Rick
Not much to the rules:

"2.31 HAND-TO-HAND CC: Hand-to-Hand CC can be declared only by the ATTACKER and only if his involved unit(s) has not been Ambushed (A11.4) this turn, but once declared affects all units of both sides as long as that Melee exists in that Location. When Hand-to-Hand CC is declared in a Location, all Infantry/Cavalry in that Location must be physically stacked together, but attack/defend normally. Any vehicle/PRC in the same Location can attack/defend in the same CC but uses the black Kill Numbers rather than the red ones. Hand-to-Hand CC uses the red Kill Numbers on the CCT. A berserk ATTACKER must [EXC: if Ambushed] declare Hand-to-Hand CC vs an Infantry/Cavalry defender. Hand-to-Hand CC cannot be declared by or vs vehicles/pillbox-occupants. "

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HTH Combat

The Purist said:
Don't forget ABTF--HTH available as an option to the attacker on both
sides.

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
It seems like HtH is widely available in many areas of ASL so could it be an optional rule to use if both players agree or is it available by SSR only? Does the rulebook state definitively one way or the other? And finally, if I'm playing someone face-to-face (Germans vs. Russians) and I declare HtH, will my opponent look at me like I'm nuts?

- Rick

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're attacking at 2:1 in CC then, yeah, he'll think you're crazy. Your opponent gets to roll with HtH numbers, too.

The rules allow HtH in certain situations, however, and optional use - use in situations that normally don't allow it - is frowned upon [by some]to say the least. The CCPh is abstracted and elimination in CC doesn't mean that 10 men are dead - it means they're hors de combat. Decreasing a sides OB/pieces on the board with optional use of rules affects balance. Free HtH combat would tend to affect tactics: you'd tend to see an increase in deploying to hs's and advancing into CC at low odds since a '5' or '6' would eliminate a lot of enemy pieces. If you and your opponent want to experiment, go for it; It's experimentation, though, don't forget.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
alanp said:
If you're attacking at 2:1 in CC then, yeah, he'll think you're crazy. Your opponent gets to roll with HtH numbers, too.
It all depends. If you can advance in for CC and succesfully pull off an ambush, declaring HtH even at 2:1 can be a very sensible idea. You get an increased chance of polishing him off and, given the ambush, he won't get to fire back with the HtH numbers. Dead mean don't fight! :D