Ham and Bloody Jam! A Night of British Failure

skippen

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Country
llUnited States
Bloody Ham Jam!

We decided to take a whack the HASL Pegasus Bridge for our bi-weekly ASL game on Tuesday night gaming. The scenario we chose was PB1: Bloody Ham Jam. This session report will be, mainly, from my point of view--the British. The objective of the scenario is for the British to clear Pegasus Bridge in 6.5 turns (Brits have the last turn).

This scenario did not go well at all for the British. I decided to bring my British on the board on the north east side of board (east of the river as per SSR) as I would not be landing in a bunch of irrigation ditches and would be able to possibly land in my initial landing hexes. Sadly, this didn't go as planned. Two of my three gliders landed safely, and close to the objective. Sadly, the middle glider, containing my 9-1 leader, mortar, a sapper, and 2 squads, crashed, killing all aboard.

Sadly, after this tragic event, not much else better happened. After my initial landing/crash, it was apparent to me after seeing the turn tracking action that this scenario was short--very short, so I made the decision to utilize my two leaders and get my squads to the bridge ASAP. This, of course, was another problem.

I have learned, as many other ASLers have, never to move in groups. Well, one of my two groups, made it in sight of his AA gun. They were hit, and sent them running back. Well suffice it to say, after this, all went downhill. Here are the highlights of my failure:

Another hit on a stack that was I meaning to separate the next turn, rolled a KIA. I managed to roll and kill a squad and a leader.

Both PIATs were broken in the same turn, and then the following attempt, broken permanently.

Toward the very end of the scenario, after wading through wire that usually took full movement to get through, I manage to take the AA gun, clear the pillbox, destroy a truck and its crew, and take the head of the bridge. However, this was on turn 6. I knew about on turn 2, that this game was over from the beginning, but I wanted to stick it out and glad I did. It was fun but tragic. The Germans held Pegasus Bridge.

Things I learned or learned again:

Never move in stacks in the open ground even thought its night (I knew this, but I thought I could get away with it).

Things I need read-up on:

night rules, gliders, DC clearance, and gun targeting again.

I have been playing ASL for about 3 years now, and I still feel like a newbie. But with each successive play, I get better with the rules. I probably give myself less credit than I deserve, but I want to be that guy who knows most of the rules off the top of my head. I still bout myself too often, and I use my mentor as a learning

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR. I'm trying to recall the math in my head for the possibilities of a missed landing hex and then a crashed landing at night. From what I recall you can put two or all three pretty close to the bridge and pillbox and just need to avoid a "6" for the missed landing hex. If that is rolled, than a 5 or 6 crashes the glider. Thus the Bristish could be fairly aggressive on landing on top of the Jerries. Of course the rule of thumb on the CG is that if Howard crashes and dies, take a mulligan and restart.

The PB map is perhaps the most attractive and interesting of all ASL maps. Open ground, two distinct villages, cliffs over looking the river. Just an awesome map. Underplayed in my estimate.

I'm assuming this scenario was just the initial landing and fight for the bridge. I never played the scenarios but I played the full and day only CG once each. Your AAR gots me itching to play this again or at least some of the scenarios.

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
I played this too and it was my first night scenario. It was a lot of fun and I did land the gliders right next to the Germans which I think is the "received wisdom". There was a lot of tense action but clearing the East side was fairly quick. I didn't lose a whole glider but I think it missed its hex or something. I can't rememeber now but it had problems. Your AAR reminds what a great scenario it was and maybe like the last poster I should crack this map out again.

skippen

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Country
llUnited States
It is near impossible to land in your ILH in the Pegasus Bridge scenarios. You start with a +1 as SSR, plus you are landing at night for another +1. Since you need a 1 to land in ILH, it is rough. Plus, the map itself has very little clear terrain to give you minuses. On the east side of the river, one side is covered in irrigation ditches, so you won't get any help there. On the other side of the road, you have come clear terrain to help.

I believe I rolled boxcars on the one glider I crashed, so I was dooomed from the beginning.