Halo 3 First Impressions?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it's out! What do you all think about it?

I finally got to play my release date copy last night as my Xbox360 came back from MS repair yesterday.

My son and I played a co-op campaign until we couldn't see anymore. I like it. The graphics are great and game play is classic Halo (I don't find the play and feel of the game any different from H2 but that is just fine as I loved H2).

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
According to Yahoo, Halo 3 just set a new record for the highest-grossing single day launch of any product in entertainment history. The previous record was held by the Spider Man 3 movie, which make $150 million on its opening weekend. Halo 3 made $170 million on opening day!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/the-top-10-best-selling-game-franchises/532199

I think it's probably safe to say Halo 3 is a huge hit.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are you initial thoughts so far? What do you think of the graphics?
Well, i wasnt happy with Halo 2, so i was sceptical about how Halo 3 would turn out.

I was plesantly suprised with Halo 3. The cinematic cutscenes are nice, and help to tell the story, which still remains confusing. Lots of new weapons and vehicles, and greandes and special power up type things like land mines and bubble shields all help to add to the gameplay.

I for one thought the grapics are great. The outdoor enironments look great, and aside from the second to last level, the indoor areas are done much better than in past games.

It took me and a friend about 15 hours to get past the game in co-op on legandary mode. That seems short, but that felt like a long two nights!! Plus there are a number of achievements that will more than likely require someone to play thru the game multiple times.

If you're into Halo, or you like console shooters, then Halo 3 is a buy!! I have not tried Halo 3 multiplayer yet, but that is the reason why i am going to buy the game, cause i had a blast with Halo 2 online.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not that I'm a Halo hater or anything, I love it and all but it does kinda get old. the graphics are all right. With what I've seen on the DX 10 game horizon (Crysis comes to mind) Halo has nothing. The gameplay is the same that we've always known though some weapons have changed. Still haven't played the campaign yet but I figure it will be all right with that same old curving confusing story.

The only aspect of Halo I dislike is the fanboys. Look at the "effort" that they put into a tv/net marketing campaign, they didn't they knew the fans would do it for them. But most of them are teenagers and young adults that seem to think that Halo is "The best FPS ever made" not necesarily true, mostly when none of them have ever even played Far Cry, Half-life 2 (or the original for that matter), or even Battlefield 2142 (or 2 for that matter) which I think have a better multiplayer orient then Halo.

I will buy it though. I want closure to the story, I want to say I own it, and i want to be able to smack up punks in MP, but I don't think its the greatest FPS ever made. Just what I've always played with a graphics overhaul.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So let me get this straight, you havent played Halo 3 yet, but, you already have a negative veiw towards it and those who seem to really like it, but you're not a hater.

Well, i can understand where you are coming from. After playing and hating Halo 2, I wasnt interested in getting Halo 3. I did get to play in the multiplayer beta, and even though the graphics werent all that great, and it lacked alot of content that's actually in the game, i had alot of fun. But i still wasnt sold on the game.

Fact is, the game is better than i thought it would be. Am i a fanboy, by no means, i still dont own it, i went to a friends house to beat it on co-op.

Yes the gameplay stays much the same, but thats one of the best parts of Halo, and there are alot of new weapons and vehicles in Halo 3.

And you cant compare Halo 3 against DX10 games, because the 360 does not use dx10.

As for the multiplayer comparison, well i hated Far Cry multi, i think Half-life is the most overrated game ever, and i didnt care for Half-Life 2 multi, and i havent playe Halo 3 online yet, so i guess i cant comment on the multiplayer aspect of Halo 3 yet.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
As for the multiplayer comparison, well i hated Far Cry multi, i think Half-life is the most overrated game ever, and i didnt care for Half-Life 2 multi, and i havent playe Halo 3 online yet, so i guess i cant comment on the multiplayer aspect of Halo 3 yet.
What multiplayer games do you prefer?

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right now i'm really into Team Fortress 2. But i also like DoD source, BF2, CoD. I did try Far Cry back in the day, and at the time i hated it, but i dont remember much about it anymore.

For a long time, multiplayer was not a factor in my decision for buying a game, but that seems to be changing, as i'm hoping that CoD4 has a great multiplayer!!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Right now i'm really into Team Fortress 2. But i also like DoD source, BF2, CoD. I did try Far Cry back in the day, and at the time i hated it, but i dont remember much about it anymore.
It sounds like you gravitate to multiplayer games that are based on real world weapons systems and characterists, thus its hardly surprising Halo isn't at the top of your game list.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Halo's multiplayer. In fact, i really liked Halo 2 online, and for me, that was what saved the game from being a complete pile of poo.

I am thining of signing up to xbox live and buying Halo 3 for the multiplayer. But's that's a $100+ investment that my wife is convinced i dont need, she just doesnt understand yet.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It sounds like you gravitate to multiplayer games that are based on real world weapons systems and characterists, thus its hardly surprising Halo isn't at the top of your game list.
Just on a quick note I wouldn't call TF2 being based on real life weaponry...

Apart from that I played a little of the first Halo and didn't like it. Consequently I can't understand all the fuzz either, except the MS behemouth standing behind it.