HALFTRACKS

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If it's about learning the rules, you don't necessarily have to play a scenario. I used to set up little mini-scenarios if I wanted to learn and practice some new rules e.g. 3 half-tracks, 3 squads vs. 3 squads and a MMG defending a building, you have to capture the building. That lets you focus on just the rules, without getting caught up with all the other stuff going on in a scenario.
Outstanding advice!! I used to do such things and found it very helpful. I would also suggest DYO as another useful tool for learning rules and rarely used units.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Unlike others, I prefer to couch my advice in terms of Lyrics From The George Michael Wham! Era:

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

You put the Halftracks into my OB
I send them out in front
to satisfy the VC

Enemy gunners take aim
They go a bang-bang-bang
and I skitter away

ATR's bug me
So does Street Fight
My Armor Leader
makes my DR's alright

Brew me up? That's a no-no
My VBM needs rolling low-low
You don't wanna miss me when I pull aside
Taking chances tonight....
Wham!??? What's next? Culture Club for CC questions. 🙄🙄

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here’s a few ideas:
  1. They can firegroup with infantry
  2. Lots of times it’s best to drive into bypass then unload into a nice building hex.
  3. Read the special rules on every halftrack before you play. Some get free 1/2 squads (inherent in vehicle) or an ATR or a BAZ or a PSK or a HMG ect...
  4. I like to use them aggressively and send them off on some mission behind enemy lines.
Quoted for emphasis. Listen to this man, some good tips above. Also read up on removing MG's from them as well.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started a thread on ht use quite a few years ago. Perhaps someone more search savvy than I could find it? Many good suggestions and tactics in that thread.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I started a thread on ht use quite a few years ago. Perhaps someone more search savvy than I could find it? Many good suggestions and tactics in that thread.
Nothing on Gamesquad search so tried the Google. Searched: halftracks BigAl737. Popped right up.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And now for balance, a word from those that hate halftracks: Light Mortars. Mortars in particular and Indirect fire in general chew halftracks up and spit them out.
Always be on the lookout for them when you have halftracks and your opponent has mortars. Trust me, they will be on the lookout for you.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I seem to recall, many years back, Shoot N Scoot being such a scenario. I could be totally wrong. But worth checking it out. Seem to recall significant numbers of halftracks for both sides.
I just played that a while ago but gacked my setup ignoring some of the MF/MP entry restrictions. An AAR of this mess can be found here. It has plenty of half-tracks in there for both the Germans and the Americans - you can review the OoBs by looking at the pictures in the AAR. This scenario also has OBA.

Certainly a good scenario, though I'd say that the half-tracks are not the key units in it.

von Marwitz

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
Looking at Broich Bash #200 from Yanks. I checked and I do not own the others mentioned above other than Roadside Assistance from DftB and I will check that one out as well. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions guys! - Woody

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I'll respectfully disagree. IMO there's a way for the Germans to use the SPW 250/9 that the US really can't counter, as Dave Mareske did against you in your IR Tourney game. We'll hash that out in the comments of an upcoming Illuminating Rounds thread, I'm sure, when Dave and Martin review all the playings of this scenario in the tournament....
Yes, yes,... you're quite right. A rather dodgy business for the American lads if the dice go bad. Then again, smashing good fun for the Germans.

Wot?

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unlike others, I prefer to couch my advice in terms of Lyrics From The George Michael Wham! Era:

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

You put the Halftracks into my OB
I send them out in front
to satisfy the VC

Enemy gunners take aim
They go a bang-bang-bang
and I skitter away

ATR's bug me
So does Street Fight
My Armor Leader