Half-Life 2

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Marines said:
You p***y! :D

But seriously based on your specs (performance) and mine what do you think my chances are when it come to an enjoyable experience.
the processor is what I'd try and find more about. The gfx card and RAM would do the trick. The game isn't as resource intensive as Doom3, so even if you couldn't run that, I wouldn't give up hope.

hell, I played OPF on old AMd 800MHz w/ 256ram AND onboard gfx online well enough...sure models were missing, and I couldn;t really aim as the lag between mouse and onscreen movements was a factor - but dammit, I still played :D

Marines

Reaction score
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Ravenholm was very Resident Evil like...was a few tricky bits too.

I'm actually in chapter "Entanglement" - and I've been dying at one point repeatedly - when you get there, you'll know which one :D

Marines;

running on my games machine;

P4 2.6Ghz
1 Gig Ram
9800XT

however...

I tested it on my old comp, and it runs well enough to play

P4 2GHz
768MB ram
9600XT (256MB)

from what I cna gather from the Steam forums, processor is more important than gfx card. Though I'm not sure <shrug>

all, there seems to be large numbers of people who have both stuttering audio and graphics (I get these just after loading times...on both comps) but doesn't affect the game at all though.
Thanks James I appreciate it.

From what you've said I think I'll leave it on the shelf.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK I had the game in my hands at Walmart today but left it there: the box says I need an internet connection so I got thinking, is this game primarily a multiplayer game and has a solo mission pack kind of a deal? I wanted to ask someone at the store, but they don't know anymore than I do.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a little ways out of Nova Prospekt, I think I can guess where you were stuck.

As for Ravenholm, I think it was my favorite part of the game so far. On one side, because it was more horror based (which is more in my taste) and two, because of the grav gun and the saw blades. ;)

Dannybou:
The internet connection is required when you first install it, just to authenticate with Valve that the CD-Key and such is legitimate. After that you can play offline. The single player is the point of the game. There is multiplayer, but it is in fact not really HL2 multiplayer but Counter-Strike: Source (a quasi-realistic based counter-terrrorist vs. terrorist game).

Marines:
My guess is that you'll be able to play it, but the quality may not be fantastic. :(

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
James,

up to Anticitizen One...I've managed to kill the mouse's batteries again, so time for a breather :D

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
James,

up to Anticitizen One...I've managed to kill the mouse's batteries again, so time for a breather :D

Yeah I'm in the same chapter, not too far in. :D

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
from what I cna gather from the Steam forums, processor is more important than gfx card. Though I'm not sure <shrug>
No, the game is just very highly developed to scale down what it does on older graphics cards.

So if you got an older card it will just not look as good as on a new-generation card but run not much slower.

They practically have three different graphics engines and default to one that suits your card.

There's nothing they do if you don't have enough CPU.

Last edited:

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I really become envious when I hear all the systems specifications of some people here.... :sniff:

Archamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
is anyone having the problem:
I downloaded the game off of steam, and it's finished downloading 100% and everything is finished updating, but it keeps telling me i have the wrong cd inserted?
I didn't even get a CD!

Pirimeister

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
mr_clark said:
I really become envious when I hear all the systems specifications of some people here.... :sniff:
Yeah. And they say wargamers have the lowest system specs because wargaming requires little graphic power, 2d counters, bla bla bla... :laugh:

it seems there are some "closet 9800 XTers" around here! :laugh: And we all know you don't need that to play TOAW...

What? My system? Ahhh. weelll... its a P4 3Ghz, 1G RAM and a ATI 9800XT. :hush: :cheeky:
What am I doing know? I'm downloading the game, of course! :laugh:

Cheers!

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
finished it :) having never played HL past the very first bit...I have no idea of the storyline :D

But it rocked!

archamus: there is a thread on it at the steam forums - if you can find it; I didn't have that problem, I just have a very dicky Steam set up due to dial up :(

btw, what version did you get (without a CD)?

I probably wouldn't call it the best game ever, but the Chapter: Follow Freeman! has to be one of the best single player "grabs" for pure intensity, plus setting and goals - top notch in my book.

now to install HL:S to find out what I've been missing out on :D

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
hmm, fair enough - I'm on dial up, so dling anything (even the updates) takes so long it's painful :D

My best advice would be to check the the http://www.steampowered.com forums for any similar problems.

are you trying to play offline, or connected to steam?

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lot of activity while I was sleeping!

In Marines case, if it would run at all, it should look pretty. The only question is the CPU, and if that would run the game, then the 9800 pro would take care of the graphics, and it would run them very well.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everyone has time to beat it before me. :(

And beavs, you skipped the best part of the game! :hush:

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*SPOILER in Nova*

I'm at the part where there are all these combine soldiers coming at you in Nova, and I have 3 turrets...I can't wait to get some real squad action against the striders.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
*SPOILER in Nova*

I'm at the part where there are all these combine soldiers coming at you in Nova, and I have 3 turrets...I can't wait to get some real squad action against the striders.
*SPOILER TO YOUR SPOILER*
You should have done like me and kept one of the two turrents from before with you, then you could cover all 4 approaches. :D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
*SPOILER TO YOUR SPOILER*
You should have done like me and kept one of the two turrents from before with you, then you could cover all 4 approaches. :D
I did that up until the level with all the electrically charged water. It would have been easy to bring it along with the GG, I don't know why I didn't....:(