Half-Life 2

Marines

Reaction score
What min system requirements would you suggest in order to get a decent experience.

I'm sitting at...

P4 1.7GHz
512 RAM
R 9800 Pro

Should I steer clear of this game?

Doom 3 killed my box.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
What min system requirements would you suggest in order to get a decent experience.

I'm sitting at...

P4 1.7GHz
512 RAM
R 9800 Pro

Should I steer clear of this game?

Doom 3 killed my box.
The 9800 pro is definatly ok. The computers at Valve that reviewers used ran 9800's, so that says something about the performance. The RAM is decent, the processor is the only thing I would worry about. Min requirement is a 1.2, recommended is a 2.4....:nervous:

I hate to say it, but I don't know what to say. Hopefully in the next couple of days we will get some performance numbers on various machines.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
The 9800 pro is definatly ok. The computers at Valve that reviewers used ran 9800's, so that says something about the performance. The RAM is decent, the processor is the only thing I would worry about. Min requirement is a 1.2, recommended is a 2.4....:nervous:

I hate to say it, but I don't know what to say. Hopefully in the next couple of days we will get some performance numbers on various machines.
ROSS, stop playing Half-life 2 and send me your turn!!! :D

BigMik1

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines, your PC fits with at least their low end specs. I think you should be pretty good. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be a demo so I'm a little worried in saying a definite yes.

And beavs... the grav gun is so much freaking fun.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, I will not get HL2 and that is just because of this steam thing...

I mean I have a steam account but my personal gaming machine is not locked on to the internet and that is that...

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mr_clark said:
Well, I will not get HL2 and that is just because of this steam thing...

I mean I have a steam account but my personal gaming machine is not locked on to the internet and that is that...
All you need to do is authenticate once after you install it, and then from then on you can play offline.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Overseer said:
All you need to do is authenticate once after you install it, and then from then on you can play offline.
Yeah, but so I have to get the machine online nevertheless...

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mr_clark said:
Yeah, but so I have to get the machine online nevertheless...
True, I wasn't sure if you just usually kept it offline, or what.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Man, all I can say is this is incredible on my Alienware. Very nice indeed.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Man, all I can say is this is incredible on my Alienware. Very nice indeed.
I have an alienware too, and yes, it's incredible. Everyone in my apartment comes to watch it on mine. :D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think our clan should try out CS: S...having the voice integrated is really nice...

If anyone wants to play some CS: Source, I'm up for a game.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't know. Personally, I feel that CS:S is way overrated. It's one of the most repetitive titles I've ever played and the maps are boring boring boring.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
well, I succumbed to peer pressure...

If I don't like it, I'm holding all of your glowing reports personally responsible :D

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I don't know. Personally, I feel that CS:S is way overrated. It's one of the most repetitive titles I've ever played and the maps are boring boring boring.
CS:S is at least a lot better than CS (and I played CS for years).
It's repetitive depending on how you play it. I'm extremely competitive so it's less monotonous to me. And there are enough different things you can do in a map that make a big difference. Actually did brief study on behavior in CS with game theory. :p

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I don't like a lot of the maps, though I think CS_office is a masterpiece. As far as it being overrated...I think a lot of it has to do with the community. I think it could be much better though. Playing Half-Life 2 has made me realize what the potential is for the engine, and frankly, CS: S disappoints because it could do so much more.

I can't wait for Day of Defeat: Source, and some good mods for HL2...

On another note...there is HL2 multiplayer, built in, supposedly. http://cleverly-stupid.co.uk/hl2/hl2mp.htm
I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't doubt that it is in there. I can't wait for a MP with the gravity gun.

Last edited:

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*SPOILER WARNING!*

Don't read if you haven't gotten past Ravenholm!

What map is after Ravenholm? I'm not a big fan of the whole zombie/gore thing (I know, HL2 isn't the best for my type :D), so I need to know what map is after that so I can skip to it with some cheat codes...I just want to skip the creepy Ravenholm stuff.

Marines

Reaction score
dannybou said:
Here are my specs:

Athlon 2600+
512M DDR
ATI 7500 graphics card
Upgrade your card and you should be straight.

After reading your posts I have no intention of playing this game...stupid sys req's. :cry: