Country
llUnited States
Unless I am mistaken, Half-Life 2 is set to launch tonight at midnight. :D

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Don Maddox said:
Unless I am mistaken, Half-Life 2 is set to launch tonight at midnight. :D
Might get a bit quiet in this area then when everybody disappears to go off and play it. :D

I'm an "undecided" on whether to buy it or not.

Dr. S.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OOOOOOOH! I'm so pumped for this!

I'm going to try to either stay up till midnight tonight (pacific time) and play, or wake up early and play. I already bought it, and its just waiting to be unlocked....

Just to wet appetites:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/566/566202p1.html

"If you're a fan of Half-Life, action games in general, or are looking for a way to get into PC gaming, this is it. It'll hook you, reel you in, and hold you captive for serious hours of hardcore brilliance. This is gaming at its best and shows that the future holds no bounds when the might of technology, precision of design, and touch of artistry work in tandem." -IGN, 9.7/10

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story

"When you combine the strong single-player campaign of Half-Life 2 with the popular online play of Counter-Strike, the result is one of the most complete and compelling first-person shooter packages available. While Half-Life 2 breaks little new ground, it's still a superb and engaging first-person shooter, as well as an amazing technological accomplishment." -Gamespot, 9.2/10

And IIRC PC Gamer gave it a 9.8/10....

An example of the wonderful physics from the IGN review-

"When Gordon breaks out the gravity gun, it's all about using the environment to your advantage. If an enemy hides behind a car, flip it over on top of him. If ammo is in short supply simply use the gravity gun to pick up and fling deadly objects at enemies, including exploding barrels, saw blades, and more. Block entrances to doorways with bookcases and tables. Use metal objects as bullet shields. The varieties of options that open to you are immense and only limited by your style of play and creativity."

I'm just excited for the technological advancements, and I can't wait for the mods, especially one that will make full use of the physics in a multiplayer enviroment.

Last edited:

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And it looks like the gamespot rating is on the LOW end of the scale:

http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914642.asp

IGN
9.7 out of 10

GameSpot
9.2 out of 10

PC Gamer
98 out of 100

Game Informer
9.5 out of 10

Edge Magazine UK
10 out of 10

Games Master UK
96 out of 100

PC Gamer UK
96 out of 100

HomeLan Fed
97 out of 100

PC Zone UK
97 out of 100

Gamestar Mag
5 out of 5

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be staying up to play it at 3am local time. For those that don't know, if you have it on your computer it will be playable at 800Z (8am GMT) - midnight Pacific time (where Valve is located).

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys have no idea how much I have wanted this...Soon enough I won't even have a social life...rather I will have less of one that what I have now. I hope my computer will work for this game.

This is truly a gift from a higer power. :cry:

Andrew B.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doctor Sinister said:
Might get a bit quiet in this area then when everybody disappears to go off and play it. :D

I'm an "undecided" on whether to buy it or not.

Dr. S.
I'm sure it could give you many helpful ideas for your biological warfare labs...Mind controlling head crabs might be a very good one for you to look into, Just a suggestion.

Andrew B.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is this game going to be like Doom 3? We will need a nuclear powered computer graphics card to play it?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nah, the tech behind it isn't quite as consuming. You're still going to want a pretty beefy box, but it doesn't have to be BLEEDING edge (it just won't be as pretty).

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dannybou said:
Is this game going to be like Doom 3? We will need a nuclear powered computer graphics card to play it?
As Overseer said, it isn't quite as bad as Doom 3. If you want to post your specs we could give you a better idea...You would need probably 512 mb of RAM, 1 gb would be prefered.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
As Overseer said, it isn't quite as bad as Doom 3. If you want to post your specs we could give you a better idea...You would need probably 512 mb of RAM, 1 gb would be prefered.
If I could find that PC Gamer with HL2 feature/review, I could tell you what Valve suggested for a low end, mid range, and high end machine... :bandit:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is one of the most incredible games I've ever seen. One of the guys in my apartment walked in, looked at it, and said, "This looks real." It's amazing. And it grips you from the beginning.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The graphics are not quite up to Doom III standards, but they are very good. So far the game is much better than Doom (and I liked Doom).

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
The graphics are not quite up to Doom III standards, but they are very good. So far the game is much better than Doom (and I liked Doom).
I'll agree that there are some areas where doom 3 wins out graphically but overall, I think the visuals are more impressive on this (of course I'm running it on almost all the top settings). But this is coming from me, a hardcore Doom fan...

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My take:

HL2- Of the little I have played so far..it is awesome. The player models and animations are superb, same with the graphics and physics.

Steam: I hate this thing. I come back from school anxious to play HL2, and I can't because the service is down. Many others are having the same problem also. Its sad that I can't play a single-player offline game because I can't log into an online service.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
My take:

HL2- Of the little I have played so far..it is awesome. The player models and animations are superb, same with the graphics and physics.

Steam: I hate this thing. I come back from school anxious to play HL2, and I can't because the service is down. Many others are having the same problem also. Its sad that I can't play a single-player offline game because I can't log into an online service.
Uhhh. Steam has an offline mode man.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
Uhhh. Steam has an offline mode man.
The catch is, you need to log onto steam, then choose to go into offline mode, and log off. To go into offline mode, you need to choose it online. You may be able to edit some config files w/o the internet, but I don't want to mess anything up.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
The catch is, you need to log onto steam, then choose to go into offline mode, and log off. To go into offline mode, you need to choose it online. You may be able to edit some config files w/o the internet, but I don't want to mess anything up.
Any time it had trouble connecting for me, it would just ask if I wanted to play in offline mode. For example, the point is actually to be used when you can't connect to the internet. Worst case, disconnect for a second, load it, and then reconnect.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
Any time it had trouble connecting for me, it would just ask if I wanted to play in offline mode. For example, the point is actually to be used when you can't connect to the internet. Worst case, disconnect for a second, load it, and then reconnect.
You are a lucky one then.....I never got that message, and several others have had the problem I had. It could be that my password is not saved, and yours is...saw a suggestion to that affect on some forum. But it looks like the problem is fixed so I'm happy now....except I want that gravity gun....mind telling me when I get it? (I'm not even out of the canals yet...man they last forever).

Last edited: