Half-Life 2

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
It won't come from Valve, the basic features are just built into Source, in this case, to be used by mod developers. Valve seems content to focus on single player additions for now.
There were rumors that a MP component would be released shortly after the release...I can only hope...

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A new update:

"This update will fix sound stuttering that users were experiencing that would last for longer than a few seconds during normal gameplay. This update will also eliminate this same behavior following a quicksave or autosave. There will still be a short pause while the autosave happens, but not the more drawn out stuttering behavior."

"Next week we will be releasing the Source SDK, along with a surprise for the community."

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

It should auto-update HL2, you may need to restart STEAM...even though it wasn't too bad, its nice they fixed the stuttering (or hopefully so). I can't wait for the "suprise"! Can anyone say HL2 multiplayer? Or even.....co-op? :D

I shouldn't get my hopes up though, chances are it won't be...

Patrocles

Reaction score
Pirimeister said:
My system specs are a P4 3Ghz with 1G RAM and a ATI 9800XT. This should be anti-sttutering specs, don't you think?

Also, the problem isn't slowdowns in performance, but something I can only describe as stuttering...
I have a similar system and run it at 1280x1024 (or whatever the exact numbers are for that resolution!) with no problems! Valve recommends you check all of your drivers to see if they are up to date.

I really think Valve did a great job with the good graphics, best faces i've seen to date in a game, and fun gameplay in HL^2. IMHO, i think it looks better than Doom and FarCry. However, I like the dense foliage, toggle crouch, and toggle prone in FarCry that I don't find in HL^2!

Also, what is up with the counterstrike game? I guess its popularity eludes me. The maps are plain, folks are hyperjumping, hypershooting, no dense vegetation (even on the mayan temple?! ha ha), no ability to toggle crouch (or I haven't found it yet), and no ability to go prone. The control options seem a bit archaic. The skins and building look nice and I can run it with everything cranked fully up!
I keephearing about Day of Defeat and hope the new one based on the HL^2 engine will come out soon!
:p

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
Also, what is up with the counterstrike game? I guess its popularity eludes me. The maps are plain, folks are hyperjumping, hypershooting, no dense vegetation (even on the mayan temple?! ha ha), no ability to toggle crouch (or I haven't found it yet), and no ability to go prone. The control options seem a bit archaic. The skins and building look nice and I can run it with everything cranked fully up!
Hehe...you hit the nail on the head. CS: S is an archaic game. It is basically a 5 year old game, but with modern physics and textures. It is the old Counterstrike with a facelift.

Marines

Reaction score
Pirimeister said:
My system specs are a P4 3Ghz with 1G RAM and a ATI 9800XT. This should be anti-sttutering specs, don't you think?

Also, the problem isn't slowdowns in performance, but something I can only describe as stuttering...
You're have hicups with those specs!?

I really gotta make sure no one buys this game unless they have the PCG or IGN rec specs.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
You're have hicups with those specs!?

I really gotta make sure no one buys this game unless they have the PCG or IGN rec specs.
It was a Half-Life 2 bug and it is fixed in the patch.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
Hehe...you hit the nail on the head. CS: S is an archaic game. It is basically a 5 year old game, but with modern physics and textures. It is the old Counterstrike with a facelift.
DoD is an archaic game, it's a 4 or 5 year old game that's apparently getting a slight facelift. :p

And trust me, CS:S is quite different from CS, take it from someone who played CS for 5 years (and I think CS might actually be closer to 6 years old).

Patrocles

Reaction score
Overseer said:
DoD is an archaic game, it's a 4 or 5 year old game that's apparently getting a slight facelift. :p

And trust me, CS:S is quite different from CS, take it from someone who played CS for 5 years (and I think CS might actually be closer to 6 years old).
CS is a 5-6 yo game! wow! no wonder most players are awesome shots. With my low twitch-factor rating I'm lucky to get a single kill! :laugh:

Are there any plans to update Day of Defeat in graphics and gameplay (e.g. toggle prone, toggle crouch, etc)? I'll have to search around for more info!

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
Are there any plans to update Day of Defeat in graphics and gameplay (e.g. toggle prone, toggle crouch, etc)? I'll have to search around for more info!
Yep! If you bought the silver or gold STEAM package, you get DoD: Source free when it comes out. Day of Defeat: Source should be to Day of Defeat like Counterstrike: Source is to Counterstrike... If you didn't buy one of those packages, I don't know how you get it.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
Yep! If you bought the silver or gold STEAM package, you get DoD: Source free when it comes out. Day of Defeat: Source should be to Day of Defeat like Counterstrike: Source is to Counterstrike... If you didn't buy one of those packages, I don't know how you get it.
While I am looking forward to DoD:S, I wasn't impressed with the whole one screenshot that's officially from it. :(

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
While I am looking forward to DoD:S, I wasn't impressed with the whole one screenshot that's officially from it. :(
Yeah, the bench in the screenshot looked pretty bad for being the source engine.

Patrocles

Reaction score
gobeavs said:
darn! only bought the retail version...don't know if it has DoDS..probably not! ha ha
I'm sure Valve will find a way to deliver DoDS to anyone for a few $$$

Do you play Counterstrike source? I'm so slow at the game that I'm a negative affect on the team. Too much running and gunning and I can't find many places to hide that aren't easily found becuaase of the small maps. I hope DoDS will have larger maps and more realism than CsS.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
on dial up + time difference = waiting for update w/ bots.

something to add some longevity into the game.

btw...using the uber gravity gun through cheating can cause some issues...like flinging Lamarr across the lab...poor lil headhumper doesn't last too long :D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
darn! only bought the retail version...don't know if it has DoDS..probably not! ha ha
I'm sure Valve will find a way to deliver DoDS to anyone for a few $$$

Do you play Counterstrike source? I'm so slow at the game that I'm a negative affect on the team. Too much running and gunning and I can't find many places to hide that aren't easily found becuaase of the small maps. I hope DoDS will have larger maps and more realism than CsS.
Yep, I play CS: S...I played it more before HL2 came out though, since then I have been playing HL2...let me know if you want to play sometime - either on the WF IRC, AIM (overclockerintel), or xfire (gobeavs).

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok...need a little help here. I just fought 2 striders on top of a really battered rooftop, after a while of "Follow Freeman"...it sounded like someone said "Go to the horse!", so I couldn't really understand what he was saying...where do I go?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
towards the statue of the Horse - it's on top of a pillar :)

it;s also painful to get to - I remember running around a lot trying to find how to get there :(

there's a bit where you go near where your troops were fighting the Striders, and some Combine soldiers pop up - I think you need to do this for some trigger to engage.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Ivan! I just beat the game....and wow was it good!

A lot of people disagree, but I loved the ending. Leaves lots of for thought and discussion :D. Can't wait for HL3.

But it leaves to question...who are the combine? And what exactly is there relationship to Dr. Breen?

IIRC Breen had to "negotiate" witht he combine.

Last edited:

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Having only played HL2, I can't really say.

there is a 600+ post thread at the Steam forums about peoples postualtions regarding what's happening.

call me a cynic, but I doubt Valve has even bothered thinking that far ahead :D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Having only played HL2, I can't really say.

there is a 600+ post thread at the Steam forums about peoples postualtions regarding what's happening.

call me a cynic, but I doubt Valve has even bothered thinking that far ahead :D

I only played HL2 also, but I read about he HL1 storyline and stuff....if Valve hasn't thought that far ahead...I'm gonna die.

That means that the 3rd one will be horrible (with no plan, it will be horrible).

I think this is a pretty good guess-

http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/