Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dannybou said:
Here are my specs:

Athlon 2600+
512M DDR
ATI 7500 graphics card
Ah! Missed your specs before....as Marines said, your video card is your only weak spot.

DDR RAM is excellent, and your CPU is pretty good. Don't know about in Canada, but 200 USD will get you a Radeon 9800 pro here, although 200 is a lot of money just to play a game :D.

Marines

Reaction score
gobeavs said:
Ah! Missed your specs before....as Marines said, your video card is your only weak spot.

DDR RAM is excellent, and your CPU is pretty good. Don't know about in Canada, but 200 USD will get you a Radeon 9800 pro here, although 200 is a lot of money just to play a game :D.
I'm done...there is not point in even getting this game.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
my irk is with steam and the fact whilst on dial up - it took me 3 hours to even start playing the damned game...

the game is very pretty, but does get a bit laggy, even with a gig of DDR! Guess the old 9800 isn't as good as advertised for this one :D (at 1280x1024 res, 4x AA)

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
my irk is with steam and the fact whilst on dial up - it took me 3 hours to even start playing the damned game...

the game is very pretty, but does get a bit laggy, even with a gig of DDR! Guess the old 9800 isn't as good as advertised for this one :D (at 1280x1024 res, 4x AA)
Drop the AA, you only need 2x AA at best.

Often times, radeons don't do as well with AA as NVIDIAs do. Also, make sure your drivers are up to date (and actually there are 4.12 beta drivers that are optimized for HL2, I'll find a link to them at some point if you're interested).

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
gobeavs said:

I'll have to give it some serious thought. That is the reason I didn't get Doom 3, because my vid card wasn't supported.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim H. Moreno said:
That is a good article, especially if you have an older card, and want to see what features you will lose graphics-wise.

Ivan: As far as the 9800 pro not working as advertised....the AA is really killing it. I would recommend 8x AF if you can, and lowering or dropping AA. Anistropic Filtering will make texture transitions better.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ross,

have a 9800XT :) - yeah, I thought I replied - dropped the AA entirely and the thing runs sweet

just loaded it up on my "work" machine :devil:

3.2 GHz
2GB Ram
X800 Pro :D

ofc, having it on there is a baaaad idea work-wise...

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Ross,

have a 9800XT :) - yeah, I thought I replied - dropped the AA entirely and the thing runs sweet

just loaded it up on my "work" machine :devil:

3.2 GHz
2GB Ram
X800 Pro :D

ofc, having it on there is a baaaad idea work-wise...
Pfft, I said to drop the AA before he did. :p But seriously man, what are you doing with an X800 Pro in your work machine?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Overseer said:
Pfft, I said to drop the AA before he did. :p But seriously man, what are you doing with an X800 Pro in your work machine?
need it for hardcore mineral ops software...time is money, and the faster something works, the more moeny we make.

plus work paid for it :)

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
Lol...you just had the opportunity to respond first :D.

Yeah, a X800 pro will smack the 9800XT. 1280x1024 2xAA 8xAF should do fine on that.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Overseer, where you up to?

I'm stuck in Nova Prospekt atm.
I just got to Nova Prospekt...I skipped Ravenholm though because it was too creepy for me.

Marines

Reaction score
gobeavs said:
I just got to Nova Prospekt...I skipped Ravenholm though because it was too creepy for me.
You p***y! :D

But seriously based on your specs (performance) and mine what do you think my chances are when it come to an enjoyable experience.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ravenholm was very Resident Evil like...was a few tricky bits too.

I'm actually in chapter "Entanglement" - and I've been dying at one point repeatedly - when you get there, you'll know which one :D

Marines;

running on my games machine;

P4 2.6Ghz
1 Gig Ram
9800XT

however...

I tested it on my old comp, and it runs well enough to play

P4 2GHz
768MB ram
9600XT (256MB)

from what I cna gather from the Steam forums, processor is more important than gfx card. Though I'm not sure <shrug>

all, there seems to be large numbers of people who have both stuttering audio and graphics (I get these just after loading times...on both comps) but doesn't affect the game at all though.