Hakkaa Päälle! Errata and FAQ

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
In 167 Breakout From Prääzä, the date for the action is wrong. It is not 8 August 1941; but instead 8 September 1941. 168 Forest Bastion (8 September 1941) provides more context on the battle and the aftermath of the scenario points at the subsequent action featured in 167 Breakout From Prääzä. In an ideal world, official ASL scenarios are in chronological sequence and therefore the sequence of scenarios should be Forest Bastion, then Breakout From Prääzä. A standard (English) source like Vesa Nenye et al., Finland at War. The Continuation and Lapland Wars 1941-45, confirms in its chronology that Prääzä (spelled Prääsä) was taken on 8 September 1941.
In 167 Breakout From Prääzä, the date for the action is wrong. It is not 8 August 1941; but instead 8 September 1941. 168 Forest Bastion (8 September 1941) provides more context on the battle and the aftermath of the scenario points at the subsequent action featured in 167 Breakout From Prääzä. In an ideal world, official ASL scenarios are in chronological sequence and therefore the sequence of scenarios should be Forest Bastion, then Breakout From Prääzä. A standard (English) source like Vesa Nenye et al., Finland at War. The Continuation and Lapland Wars 1941-45, confirms in its chronology that Prääzä (spelled Prääsä) was taken on 8 September 1941.
Damn, someone noticed!

I have designed both scenarios and indeed the date for ASL167 is wrong in the printed version. I have probably submitted a final version with a incorrect date for publication and was probably blind to my own mistake when this was proofed.

I noticed this myself couple of years ago when the module was already out, but you are indeed the first one to point it out.

Again shows how incredibly difficult it is to get every detail right with this stuff.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
The difference between July and August is forgivable, as is the difference between September and October, but the difference between August and September, well that is huge, huger, brontosaurus hugest--or have you so soon forgotten . . .

First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys. Not that all months aren't rare. But there be bad and good, as the pirates say. Take September, a bad month: school begins. Consider August, a good month: school hasn't begun yet. July, well, July's really fine: there's no chance in the world for school. June, no doubting it, June's best of all, for the school doors spring wide and September's a billion years away.

--Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked this Way Comes.

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Damn, someone noticed!

I have designed both scenarios and indeed the date for ASL167 is wrong in the printed version. I have probably submitted a final version with a incorrect date for publication and was probably blind to my own mistake when this was proofed.

I noticed this myself couple of years ago when the module was already out, but you are indeed the first one to point it out.

Again shows how incredibly difficult it is to get every detail right with this stuff.
Tuomo,
Thank you for confirming the correction. I felt something was wrong when I read the two scenario cards many years ago when getting my copy of Hakkaa Päälle! I only decided recently to get to the bottom of it as we approach the 80th anniversary of the battle for this Karelian village, which is pretty hard to find on a map.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hakkaa Päälle is scheduled to be our next reprint. Hope to get it up on preorder in the next month or two.
Perry: does the reprint incorporate the errata above? I'm just about done catching up on the AP/BP stuff and I'm moving on to the modules I am missing.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Perry: does the reprint incorporate the errata above? I'm just about done catching up on the AP/BP stuff and I'm moving on to the modules I am missing.
I am pretty sure the counters and scenarios were corrected in the re-print....