Hairy LOS question from a hill, down the valley, along the stream, woods in between. o_O

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The LOS in question is on board 47, from K3 --> P5 and Q6

VASL, if it can be trusted, blocks P5 but clears Q6, see pics below

I'm trying to decipher the relevant rule, A6.3

I've learned the rule by the way of the A6.3 example, where the rule of thumb seems to be that in order to have LOS along and INTO a gully/stream, you'd first have to have LOS INTO the hex before that and so on, never leaving the artwork of course, which makes sense.
So if I were to determine LOS to Q6, the artwork is clear, so I'd backtrack along the stream all the way to N4. Do I have LOS INTO N4? No, so then not INTO O5, P5 etc either... so no LOS INTO Q6.

However the actual rule says it differently:
Rule A6.3 said:
A unit must be at least one level higher for every hex of range to units IN a Depression to have a LOS to them [EXC: Units with a clear LOS between them through other continuous Depression hexsides (exclusive of vertices) need not count those intervening Depression hexes in determining the necessary elevation advantage].
So have I understood this correctly:
When determining if I have the necessary elevation to see INTO Q6, I disregard hexes N4, O5 and P5 and pretend I'm actually 3 hexes away? K3 is 3 levels higher so elevation is not a problem.
THEN I check blind hexes normally. I think woods causes 2 blind hexes INTO a depression, and that's why N4 woods blocks LOS INTO P5, but not Q6. Right?
If K3 were one level higher, that would eat one of the blind hexes and I'd see INTO P5 as well?

I think I got this, writing this question down clarified things in my head. But do correct me if VASL and I are wrong...

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
From K3, there is no LOS to N4 or O5 since the gully is a full two levels below the height of the M4 trees. That means M4 exerts an extra blind hex over the gully

Once the LOS reaches P5, all blind hexes have been cleared. So the problem now is whether the LOS thread continues along the gully outline or not. That's hard to tell from the images, and may make a dr necessary if you can't agree with your opponent.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When determining if I have the necessary elevation to see INTO Q6, I disregard hexes N4, O5 and P5 and pretend I'm actually 3 hexes away? K3 is 3 levels higher so elevation is not a problem.
I don't think so - the rule you quoted A6.3 says:
"Units with a clear LOS between them through other continuous Depression hexsides (exclusive of vertices) need not count those intervening Depression hexes in determining the necessary elevation advantage"

The units don't have a clear LOS between them through N4 and O5.

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Darn it! It would've been logical a LOS! I can imagine myself on the hill and seeing the stream (IRL argument :rolleyes:). I was so happy when I "figured it out".

Without the woods I could see the stream.
I have the elevation to see over the woods.
Obstacle at the base of the stream shouldn't cause "infinite blind hexes" along the stream... ?
VASL is wrong too.

IMO should be errataed... ?