Had anyone played using VASSAL or Aide de camp?

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
How was it? How often do you play?
I have played with both. VASSAL is the better experience simply for the scanned maps. I usually start one game after I finish one. The game is well suited for PBEM play also. This is the one series that I have a local opponent besides ASL.

For the last year there has probably been one month that I have not had a game going. The game is easy to learn but takes time to master ( I am not there yet).

And there are now Cyberboards for the games also.

More later,

Keith

AlvinS

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Played Stonewalls Last Battle and Here Come the Rebels on Vassal. I have all but 2 of the games in the series. I don't play as often as I would like, because my regular partner has been unavailable.

I have also played The Civil War by Victory Games.

Vassal is easy to use and I recommend it. I have not had the opportunity to try Aide de camp, but from what I hear it is very good.

I think some of the group over at Multiman Publishing has a Ladder going on Vassal, you might give them a try.

Let me know, and I might dust off some of my games and give it a go again.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do you guys handle the cavalry retreat rule? In Vassal I could see it being done by running the opponents log file while running your own and you send the turn back at the point of the retreat. We do this in VASL for ASL. It may take a few mailings for a turn but would work.

It would be nice to see a laddder and board gfor this series. It has been a while since I played any of them but they're great operational level games.

ron ungemach

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blackcloud6 said:
How do you guys handle the cavalry retreat rule? In Vassal I could see it being done by running the opponents log file while running your own and you send the turn back at the point of the retreat. We do this in VASL for ASL. It may take a few mailings for a turn but would work.

It would be nice to see a laddder and board gfor this series. It has been a while since I played any of them but they're great operational level games.
MMP offers seven different games as part of the GCACW for the cyberboard system. The link page allows you to download version 3.0 of cyberboard which is a big impovement in graphics over 2.0. You can download the basic games manual over a web-grognards so I assume everything is okay as far as copyright rules. I have never played any of the games. I am still trying to figure out the rules. Will probably attempt some solitare games first. Might be up to try a game with a real opponent.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blackcloud,

My opponents and I do cav retreat just as you described, usually just takes one extra log. IMHO, the VASSAL mods are far superior way to play this game PBEM, running commentary, easy navigation, and superb graphics.

The cybers are nice but given a choice I take VASSAL.

Ron, the standard rules are available for download - no problems there. But you have to own the specific module (SIV, GTC,etc.) for the specific game rules. Hope you enjoy the game, it is indeed a very enjoyable, easy to learn, but challenging to play gaming system.

Keith

Adamo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cyberboard question----I want to thank whoever mentioned Cyberboard in this thread, I just downloaded it and was able to load some of the GCACW maps into it. However, the documentation that comes with it is very sparse and unclear. I'm trying to figure out exactly how the game can be played 'head-to-head' or PBEM. I don't know if anyone knows of an online source for detailed instructions (I checked the Cyberboard website) or if it can be explained simply. I think I understand how to do a turn----make your die rolls and move your units and then type in text to explain the move but do you then email the saved 'game' file to your opponent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

adam

tolstoy1812

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Solo or hotseat Play?

Which system, Vassal or Cyberboard, do those who have experience think is good for solo or hotseat play? I like ADC2 but creating a game map or scanning a map is time consuming and frustrating in its technicalities. I'd like to try one of the others that permits easy map scanning and is easy for solo play.

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never used Cyberboard and I played my first game on VASSAL in real time using Skype. It was a great experience. The only thing missing is smelling your opponent sweat after you make a move ...... then again, that may be a good thing :)

The only thing that would have made it better is if I would have won the match.

Last edited:

Ogreking

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was a Cyberboad player a couple of years ago but it was too cumbersome for me. Nothing against it, its a beautiful piece of work (and I understand it has been updated since I last used it), but for me it just didn't work.

I "found" vassal about a year ago. It fits the bill for what I was looking for since I have a hard time finding opponents and live out in the boonies. I also like the ease of use as compared to CB. Finally, the sheer number of "boards" for the games I own make it optimal.

Skype would make either of these programs better imho.

I thought about buying ADC2, but I have never gotten a good grasp on how much its used and the ease of use. Ease of use is a KEY factor for me, its bad enough learning some of the new games... let alone a new program to use them.

Last edited:

Arakis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used VASSAL to play Victory in the Pacific. I liked the concept a lot, and invested some time in learning how to make modules and improved the module that seemed to have lost its developer.
There is a learning curve to understand the concepts of developing modules, and the documentation is barely adequate. But for playing the learning curve is much flatter, the main things to understand are how log files work and when you need to start recording your turn.
The graphics abilities are great, modules are really good looking (or can be made so), it can either use an internal die roller or integrate with an internet dice server, and has some nice automation capabilities that can be built into the modules once you get the hang of them.
All in all a great system, and the fact you can also play online makes it a really nice package.