Hacksaw Ridge - are you going to watch it?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a theory; some people don't like Mel Gibson so they dismiss his work regardless of the merits.
Spot on.

Take for example the recent review in the LA Times. The critic panned this movie because of it's 'excessive gratuitous graphic violence' or words to that effect. I have no issue with critics of Mel Gibson as a director, however this is a war film set in the battle of Okinawa. The presence of graphic violence is an understatement. I haven't watched Hacksaw yet, though I'm fairly certain that the most gruesome scenes probably pale in comparison to some of the scenes on those picket destroyers when the kamikazes struck.

I'm fairly certain that Gibson wasn't trying to appeal to the fans of The Expendables and the Rambo films.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spot on.

Take for example the recent review in the LA Times. The critic panned this movie because of it's 'excessive gratuitous graphic violence' or words to that effect. I have no issue with critics of Mel Gibson as a director, however this is a war film set in the battle of Okinawa. The presence of graphic violence is an understatement. I haven't watched Hacksaw yet, though I'm fairly certain that the most gruesome scenes probably pale in comparison to some of the scenes on those picket destroyers when the kamikazes struck.

I'm fairly certain that Gibson wasn't trying to appeal to the fans of The Expendables and the Rambo films.
the clips look incredible. Gee wiz, Okinawa was bloody? Maybe if you show how horrible war is people might be less inclined to engage in such activity and it shows how truely heroic people like Doss were.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Gee wiz, Okinawa was bloody? Maybe if you show how horrible war is people might be less inclined to engage in such activity and it shows how truely heroic people like Doss were.
Now that's just crazy talk.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. Why did it take 70 years to make the big screen?

I doubt it. IIRC, NQ was in effect. ;)

Seriously, it would be interesting to know how Doss felt about the Japanese. Don't know if the doco The Concientious Objector can answer your question, but it may be worth watching.

Doss rarely talked about it. Many people tried to get him to let the movie happen but he didn't want the attention. His church gave the ok after his passing. He was a very devout and noble man.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Doss rarely talked about it. Many people tried to get him to let the movie happen but he didn't want the attention. His church gave the ok after his passing. He was a very devout and noble man.
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense. A movie is usually bigger than life. He was probably reluctant to participate in the documentary. But I'm glad he did.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watched it tonight. Fabulous movie and a amazing story about a true hero. Highly recommended.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the review Rob. I'm going to see it this Sunday at a super theater.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Highly recommended!

We went to see this last week. Our local seventh day Adventist church was providing free paperback copies of the companion book 'Hero of Hacksaw Ridge' to patrons inside the theater. Hurry out and see this on the big screen. A very inspirational story of courage which did not require the use of a weapon.