Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, my mistake...
poor memory... I returned 55 years ago.
I was thinking about the time frame and figured that you were off a bit. Wtf, at least you remembered that you were there. Most importantly you returned. Thanks for your service!

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
there were some points but what I heard is that as a front line soldier his knowlege of the bigger picture... Belgorad etc was murky or lost to faded memories...
In Heinlein's Starship Troopers Juan is reflecting how the common trooper knows little of the overall state of the war. They are primarily only concerned with their little slice of it and then mostly on the days it is happening.
What the troopers' NCO cares about is much more an issue of concern.

True a couple thousand years ago and will be so a couple thousand years from now.

Reading Heinlein oddly prepped me for the whole military experience. Especially Starship Troopers. Probably read it twenty times. Good stuff, good times.🥰

Soldier, sailor, Marine, airman and Coasties all troopers.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
During a recent trip to the Netherlands, I happened to stumble over that book in a bookstore that had quite a lot of stuff about WW2 (and other conflicts). A mixture of Dutch, German and English language books, most of them second-hand. I remembered that there was a thread about Guy Sajer here in the forum (this one) a while ago, so I bought the book.

I am currently reading it and am about half-way through.

He wrote the book in 1969, so that is some 25 years after the period it describes. Had it not been for the thread here, I would not have known that its authenticity has been contested by some.

I have read quite a number of accounts of individual Germans soldiers describing their experiences in WW2. My personal impression is, that Sajer's account mirrors a number of these in their intensity. Probably, most of these have never been translated from German into other languages. Compared to others he is notably more hazy on names of places, comrades, etc. than others. Gratefully having never been subjected to the experience of war, I cannot judge which things will stick to mind and which won't.

Some authors who accounted for their story have made efforts to research the events, so that they could supplement their memories with 'correct' dates and places. This, they sometimes even expressively mention in the foreword, for example. It is my impression, that correct dates, precise places etc. are not Sajer's point. He is more concerned with personal feelings and impressions and with what 'war' did to the attitude of the individual. He describes in detail the physical and mental strains, the ordeals the common soldier is put through. Repeatedly, he writes that despite best efforts, he feels incapable of expressing in words, of finding words that can make someone who has not lived through comparable experiences understand. For this end, other details are not that relevant, I suppose. In this context, his writings seem convincing to me. But - thank God - I have not been subjected to comparable experiences, so I cannot really judge.

Altogether, reading his account so far is gripping. It is free of the 'heroics' which are found in many other personal accounts of war - more on the allied side than on the German one IMHO. This is not to say that Sajer does not describe soldiers overcoming situations beyond the comprehensible. But I don't see him describing any glory in this. And this precise point might be - I venture to propose the notion - one of the truths about war.

von Marwitz

Last edited: