Gusts vs Smoke

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Greetings-

High-powered rules lawyers are busily pondering such details....I decided to call Joe Bornstein. He wouldnt take da case.

While to me the wording is obvious, the whole wording vs intent debate leads nowhere. In a player turn when gusts are rolled in WC, all existing smoke is removed, with exceptions. Can smoke be placed in such a player turn by say, squads, or fired by ordnance?

TIA
Bru

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For Infantry:
24.11 ... A 1/2" SMOKE counter is never Dispersed or subject to Drift, and cannot be placed in Heavy Winds/ Rain/ Mud/ Deep-Snow [EXC: 24.6].
Doesn't mention GUSTS

The 24.6 exception is for inside buildings.

For ordnance I think the 24.6 rule states it:
24.6 WEATHER: SMOKE has no effect where vision is already Hindered by fog (E3.31). SMOKE is removed immediately for Rain or Heavy Wind and has no effect in Mud (E3.6) or Deep Snow (E3.73) [EXC: SMOKE placed inside a building from either the same Location or an ADJACENT Location of the same building across a hexside of that building or completely within a factory; E3.8].

So, I would think SMOKE can be placed during a Gust turn, it just gets flipped during AFPh per that rule.

Now as for intent.... I am not going there either.

Alan

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rule on Gusts is CONSTANTLY mis-quoted...

The rules state:
eliminates all dispersed SMOKE and disperses all non-dispersed SMOKE currently on the board
Gust do NOT eliminate "all" smoke... even the stuff outside. You remove Dispersed smoke and flip all other smoke to dispsersed side....

Sam

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Thanks for da chimes guys, this is how I play it.

I think there arises some confusion here in the minds of players when trying to visualize gusts. As the rule is written, my view is that gusts occur then stop at the end of last phase/beginning of current phase, having its effect then stopping, as opposed to heavy winds, which continue throughout the PT.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is nothing in the rules which says you can't place smoke in Gusts. So, you can because the mechanics for placing smoke are spelled out..

IOW, the rules allow smoke to be placed. Nothing regarding Gusts changes this.

I think the question come up because people are often saying "no smoke in Gusts"....

Sam

da priest

Reaction score
24.62 GUSTS: During Gusts (B25.651), remove Dispersed SMOKE and then flip the remaining SMOKE counters to their Dispersed side, first in the RPh and then again in the AFPh.

No other effect on SMOKE.

So SMOKE on----