Gusts rules errata

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello MMP!

Can you please correct the Electronic rulebook (v1.07) for B25.651? The ASOP says under Advancing Fire Phase:

5.13A During Gusts (B25.651), remove Dispersed SMOKE, then flip remaining SMOKE counters to Dispersed side [EXC to both: NA in Cave ; G11.8]

The above is not stated in B25.651. It does say "A Gust eliminates all dispersed SMOKE and disperses all non-dispersed SMOKE currently on the board [EXC: smoke in a Blaze hex emanating from that Blaze hex is never affected by Gusts]." but it does not say "when" do that (Rally and Advancing Fire Phase).

I know a lot of people (myself included) miss this all of the time. :)

Thanks in advance,
MikeS

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Based on what you quoted from the electronic version, it should not be changed until the printed Rulebook is changed. The text of the electronic version faithfully duplicates what is in the Rulebook. That's what copies should do, and nothing more.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Based on what you quoted from the electronic version, it should not be changed until the printed Rulebook is changed. The text of the electronic version faithfully duplicates what is in the Rulebook. That's what copies should do, and nothing more.
Or until J13 comes out with its list of official errata.

I'm hoping that after Rising Sun and Hollow Legions are published (end of September for the first, end of October for the second [a guess]), that MMP then puts J13 out (nearly) simultaneous with the pocket rulebooks (which are waiting on Hollow Legions) along with a new revision of the eASLRB, so that all are in agreement at that time. (The printed ASLRB, I expect, will only be updated when the current stock is depleted, which may be a couple of years.)

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree all sources of the rules should be updated. But what's the point of the electronic rulebook if it can't be updated "instantly"? I would hope that any errata added to the electronic rulebook are also available as errata the old fashioned way, etc, etc. :)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Not sure the lack of mention in B25.651 is an error per se - the timing is mentioned in the ASOP and in Chapter A.

24.62 GUSTS: During Gusts (B25.651), remove Dispersed SMOKE and then flip the remaining SMOKE counters to their Dispersed side, first in the RPh and then again in the AFPh.

Granted, a reference to A24.62 would have been useful.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I agree all sources of the rules should be updated. But what's the point of the electronic rulebook if it can't be updated "instantly"? I would hope that any errata added to the electronic rulebook are also available as errata the old fashioned way, etc, etc. :)
I'd be very much against "instant updates". Releasing errata in a batch, maybe once a year, would be far, far better. I'd hate, every time I sat down to play, to have to check the MMP website to see what the errata du jour is. That would be madness.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure the lack of mention in B25.651 is an error per se - the timing is mentioned in the ASOP and in Chapter A.

24.62 GUSTS: During Gusts (B25.651), remove Dispersed SMOKE and then flip the remaining SMOKE counters to their Dispersed side, first in the RPh and then again in the AFPh.

Granted, a reference to A24.62 would have been useful.
Yes I agree ASOP could reference A24.62 as well. I didn't see that A24.62 has the actual written rule. But that is why this has been confusing to me and others over the years. :)

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or until J13 comes out with its list of official errata.

I'm hoping that after Rising Sun and Hollow Legions are published (end of September for the first, end of October for the second [a guess]), that MMP then puts J13 out (nearly) simultaneous with the pocket rulebooks (which are waiting on Hollow Legions) along with a new revision of the eASLRB, so that all are in agreement at that time. (The printed ASLRB, I expect, will only be updated when the current stock is depleted, which may be a couple of years.)
No problem -- when errata come out, the official Rulebook will have been revised and all copies of it, electronic or otherwise, should be conformed to it. Indeed, when the J13 list comes out, us "printed page" people will be looking to the Texas ASL Club site for their sticky versions of the errata to paste into our Rulebooks. But until then, changing the electronic copy does not change the rules -- it merely produces an unfaithful copy.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"What's the point?" Ease of determining the answer to specific questions (the search function), more compact presentation, adjustable font size, and durability (as long as the electricity is flowing and MMP exists to replace lost electronic copies) are all some of the attributes that make the electronic presentation of printed materials superior to the printed version. But until MMP declares the electronic copy to be THE Rulebook, it is just a copy. And changing it without changing THE Rulebook would just make the copy unfaithful and unreliable.

BK above has a good reason why the printed Rulebook should not be updated except at fixed (and preferably long) intrevals. There is an easy answer to his objection: offer the customer only the opportunity to subscribe to the Rulebook and include automatically "pushed" updates for errata for the duration of the subscription, just how software is increasingly sold today. Fortunately, MMP has enough invested in already printed copies of the RB that we are not likely to see that immediately.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"What's the point?" Ease of determining the answer to specific questions (the search function), more compact presentation, adjustable font size, and durability (as long as the electricity is flowing and MMP exists to replace lost electronic copies) are all some of the attributes that make the electronic presentation of printed materials superior to the printed version. But until MMP declares the electronic copy to be THE Rulebook, it is just a copy. And changing it without changing THE Rulebook would just make the copy unfaithful and unreliable.

So that page gets updated with the printed errata and then the electronic version gets updated at the same time. :)