Gustav Line module released

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good point, then I take it the reason for stalling the very popular CMBN module to make a sideshow game has also been discussed then?

Is there a reason that MG isn't out yet? What is holding up Bagration and why haven't we seen CMSF 2 yet? All games that should have been out by the end of June 2013.

Due to the lack of decent CMBN content right now I've kind off stopped playing, several of my old opponents have too and just judging from forum traffic it seems I'm not alone. Unless there are 50000 beta testers, the games popularity is declining.
Then send me a set up.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Then send me a set up.
I deploy in 4 weeks and so I can't really start any games right now. I will only be taking my old win xp laptop and I don't think it can take CMBN.

i will try and load it up thou to see if it will work after a fashion as it used to take CMSF.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
The module got a 9/10 from the reviewer at eurogamer.dk. The only weakness he could find was that he thought the series was losing its "pathos":

"Seriens svaghed, hvis man accepterer at det overhovedet er en svaghed, er, at den år for år mister patos. Da Combat Mission kom på markedet i 1999 var det netop på det parameter, at det fejede alle konkurrenter af banen. Aldrig havde wargamere kunne se krigen på så nært hold. Men som årene er gået, er krigens drama i Combat Mission ligesom sandet lidt til. "

Transl.: "The series' weakness, if you accept that there is one at all, is that it, year by year, loses its pathos. When Combat Mission came to the market in '99, it was precisely because it blew away all the competition. Never had wargamers been able to see war at such a close distance. But as the years have passed by, the drama of war in Combat Mission has become a bit dusty".

So apparently the players who for some reason feel an urge to give this game a 9/10 are also getting bored...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only really new thing for a long while was the MG fix.

And that has a bitter bytaste because it was very painful discussing it against the fanbois and quite honestly the situation was an exact mirror of CMBO and the MG fix in CMBB, I don't think it would be outrageous to say that maybe such a problem shouldn't have been in CMBN.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only really new thing for a long while was the MG fix.

And that has a bitter bytaste because it was very painful discussing it against the fanbois and quite honestly the situation was an exact mirror of CMBO and the MG fix in CMBB, I don't think it would be outrageous to say that maybe such a problem shouldn't have been in CMBN.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
So, has anybody here except Elvis tried this new MG fix? The review also makes a big point out of it, saying it totally changes the battlefield etc.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, has anybody here except Elvis tried this new MG fix? The review also makes a big point out of it, saying it totally changes the battlefield etc.
I've tried it and it really changes the way the game is played. MGs now fire much more rapidly and can really be devastating on defence and attack. This gives an advantage to the side with more heavier guns and now when attacking against MG you can't just leap from cover to cover as before.

The downside to this of course is that it probably makes the game ever harder to learn than before for new players. So MG become much more effective but fighting against them becomes much less fun.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I stopped testing individual combat mechanics in CM. It makes me upset.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The new MG-Fix for CM came with the "patch-to-the-upgrade" for CMBN 2.0. It's probably the reason that I jumped in...along with the broken promise regarding Market Garden coming down the chute.

It is certainly a game-changer. Comparing the CMFI demo-play shananigens to the CMBN 2.0 game-play, it is readily evident that the game is modeling firepower more realistically. I will always break off a automatic weapon team and strive to get them the best flank position. 'Owning' fields, especially from a flank, can yield some serious kill numbers.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Did I miss the announcement that MG was canceled?
Maybe (Who said it was canceled?), but you did miss the fact that Steve had said that Market Garden was next. Not Gustav. And, yes, we went through this already.

phil395

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've tried it and it really changes the way the game is played. MGs now fire much more rapidly and can really be devastating on defence and attack. This gives an advantage to the side with more heavier guns and now when attacking against MG you can't just leap from cover to cover as before.

The downside to this of course is that it probably makes the game ever harder to learn than before for new players. So MG become much more effective but fighting against them becomes much less fun.
I was thinking about this in relation to another game (an old tabletop wargame). How are such mechanics validated? Is there sufficient detailed and consistent evidence from real-world conflicts?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was thinking about this in relation to another game (an old tabletop wargame). How are such mechanics validated? Is there sufficient detailed and consistent evidence from real-world conflicts?
I don't know how they validate it but I've fired a GPMG quite a lot in my military youth and I can definitely put out a lot of aimed accurate long range bursts with one. 2-3 round rapid fire with a bipod and a 200 round belt can put a lot of well aimed accurate fire onto a target and it doesn't burn out the barrel too quickly at all.

the new MG fix seems to replicate this for me in the game.

phil395

Reaction score
Country
ll
I did a brief google earlier trying to see if there was anything obvious on validating simulations of different weapons. I didn't find anything, but I might try looking at the library databases when I'm at work tomorrow. Or perhaps it's all protectively marked in which case I'm not going to find anything....

Looking up the other game I was thinking of, it allowed crew-served light MGs to attack twice as many targets per turn as a rifle and a medium MG eight times as many as a rifle. It had a heavy MG attacking four times as many, but with the longest range. I have no idea if any of that's reasonable having never had cause to handle or fire any of them.

I guess I do have a little sympathy for BF in getting this stuff working nicely.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I guess I do have a little sympathy for BF in getting this stuff working nicely.
Maybe BF also did a I did a brief google earlier trying to see if there was anything obvious on validating simulations of different weapons? In which case, you have sympathy for the feeble.

phil395

Reaction score
Country
ll
Maybe BF also did a I did a brief google earlier trying to see if there was anything obvious on validating simulations of different weapons? In which case, you have sympathy for the feeble.
Ah, if you want me to be cross with them, just mention the DRM again. Oh, I just did. Silly me.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Ah, if you want me to be cross with them, just mention the DRM again. Oh, I just did. Silly me.
I suppose it really doesn't matter. Or...

I seems, Fionn has now been signed on BattleFunk for intense psychotherapy that includes:

1. Designer 'Alternative Marriage and Gender Re-assignement'
2. Steve being a 'Ring Girl' for number '1' above
3. Elvis and Dorosh Hate/Love issues that have no reason for abaitement...
4. Dorosh and Fionn Love/Hate issues. They are sure and absolute.
5. Fionn and silly announcements like "OH! Look! There are Potato Masher HAND GRENADES in CMBO!!!!!" (everyone cringed as the Irishmen spoke lovingly about the potatoes.....

My own solemn and delicate thoughts about these silly and useless issues is that it doesn't matter at all. Products like these only matter when faced with the unyielding scathing and vicious eye of a fierce and unblinking 'product-predator'. All else is loss.