Gustav demo released

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
A 4 hour download from some obscure website.... Why don't they ask their community to share this with a torrent? They really need to stop living in the 90's.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
On a separate DL to the Win 8 notebook (not my junkyard game machine), a totally different type of fail. Some reported log of crash of sorts.

Eh, I give up, I just wanted to compare the CMFI demo to the new demo but it isn't worth the time. Might be Win8 related or it might be not. Eff it.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A 4 hour download from some obscure website.... Why don't they ask their community to share this with a torrent? They really need to stop living in the 90's.
Aye, I've never understood why they can sell the game on their site and am able to download it from there, but patches and demos are hosted on these other sites.

while I would try the demo, I'm not prepared to waste hours getting it.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I'm more concerned with what I get with that download. One of the sites tried to trick me into downloading some other exe together with some other junk that popped up.

I guess developers who make "toolbars" are fine with this.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best part about the third-party websites is that they (ETA: BFC) don't even publish checksums, AND never reacted to reports that for the CMBN 2.01 windows patch one of the sites did indeed not match. I can tell you that it was simply truncated and not maliciously changed - but did BFC?

No thanks.

How much is the bundle? At least I don't have to deal with this crap then.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
There seems to be some problem with the demo falsely tripping on the 'error'.

I'm not sure what it tripped up on at this point. The 'QT' libraries are for the 2D screens in the game. They should NOT be attempting to contact anything over the internet.

I believe we will need a version of the gsClean utility for the Demo. I have asked Martin to create this and hopefully he should have a version soon that can be used to clear the 'state' of whatever the limited copy-protection system is tripping on.

You will want to open a ticket in the Helpdesk and when this utility is available, we will send it to you (and anyone else who happens to need it for the Demo).
(BF Support)

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep. got the ErrorCode: Errorcode
Well I thought since I had a good connection this morning I would download the demo. Guess what, I got the error code error code as well. Any ideas? It only took 20 minutes to download though....... I just can't pay it, really wanted to see German Paras as well.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It always puzzles me that a demo has a DRM. Do other demos, or just BFCs?

Also, I saw your post here yesterday and went to Tech Support to see if anyone other than you and NUTTER had gotten. When I saw you had already posted I figured you'll get better information from then. It's weird how it only happens to a few people. Obviously, it didn't happen to me when I tested it or I would have been.able to report it before it went out.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Talk about losing control of your DRM and distribution mechanisms. The demo? Come on.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Talk about losing control of your DRM and distribution mechanisms. The demo? Come on.
Supposedly, you need to open a help-ticket to get a 'gsclean' program or something. And, yes, it's silly for such things to come up in a demo. I wonder how many DL had the same problem and just figured the hell with it?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Supposedly, you need to open a help-ticket to get a 'gsclean' program or something. And, yes, it's silly for such things to come up in a demo. I wonder how many DL had the same problem and just figured the hell with it?
Aye, they sent me a link to the GS clean and it worked right away. Didn't have time to play with the game though, just fired it up to see how it looked compared to CMBN. Although it does look good, I still think that it isn't different enough from CMBN to warrant a hefty and what has become for me, unaffordable purchase.

However, I did get a peek at the German Paras, which will be a nice addition to the CMBN game. I wonder though, could I take the para skins and rename them to German Luftwaffe in CMBN skins and get them in game now? I suppose the TOE would be different though.