GUNS SET UP

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I read A12.34:

12.34 HIDDEN GUNS: An Emplaced (C11.2) non-vehicular Gun and its manning crew [EXC: if possessing a non-inherent SW] may always use HIP if it sets up (i.e., starts the scenario) in Concealment Terrain, even if in the LOS of an enemy unit. An Emplaced Gun may also always use HIP if not in Concealment Terrain, provided it sets up out of the LOS of all enemy ground units—but must be placed onboard under a "?" as soon as a Good Order enemy ground unit has a LOS to it regardless of range, e.g., at the start of the first RPh.

Does it mean that, If I set up first, I can set up HIP a gun in open ground ((for sure in LOS of enemy units, because the enemy units must set up in a building adyacent to my intended gun position)), wait for his deployment and then, at the start of the first RPh, reveal it, but under a concealment counter?

TIA

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't do this very often, but it has its time and place.
I did something like this in a game a couple weeks ago, a meeting engagement where I put a 7.5cm gun on the flank in the middle of a wide open field, and managed to bag an IS-2 and eventually win the scenario.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just did that in the last game I've finished (J102 The Yelnya Bridge).

The point being that the 76L Gun the Russians have in that game is the key weapon which can easily smite any of the German AFV. And the Infantry. And can fire SMOKE to neutralize enemy Fire Bases. (It might even be less vulnerable to certain weapons, i.e. vs. MTRs if set up in Woods, though the Germans didn't have a MTR in this scenario.)

In other words, it will have more than enough to do as soon as the Germans set foot on the board and will lose concealment anyway. If setting up the Gun in OG HIP provides a position with better LOS, all the better. In my particular case, being placed on the board Concealed after having been seen by German infantry even made my opponent move his AFV offboard, so it acted as a deterrence before it had even fired a shot.

von Marwitz

Last edited: