Guns, Inf Target Type and Duds!

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It is funny how something one has played for years can cause consternation when it is checked out! :crosseye:

In my games of A32 "Zon with the Wind" against Reepicheep his 88FlaK successfully hit its infantry target and then with the attack resolutiuon rolled a 12... now boxcars with a TK roll is a 'dud' C7.35, but there is nothing in here that supports my claim of it being a dud also for an infantry target type attack. :surprise:

What say you fellow dice-rollers. Is box-cars a dud when fired at infantry?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, C7.35 is the closest we can come to a rules reference, but it's in a section dealing with To Kill tables, and ITT doesn't use a kill table... or is the IFT considered the kill table?

Appreciate any light shone on this one and rules references. In any case, I still wish I'd rolled something lower!

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
C7.35 in a second edition rulebook: "Any Original TK DR of 12 (regardless of ammunition or Target Type) has no effect".

Then, a DR of 12 is a dude regardless of Target Type. Infantry should be included IMO.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes Minaya, that is how i read it, and it is written like that in the 1st edition RB. However, Reepicheep has made the interesting observation that this section of the rules deals exclusively with TK tables, and does not cover any of the rules for attacks vs infantry. :(

Hence the confusion, it doesn't make any sense that the only time the crew of a gun are going to forget to prime the shell is against AFV's, yet that is how it APPEARS in the rule... :confused:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well I've just asked our local ASL Club's "Rules Guru" Bruce Probst, and he said...

"No. Only TK rolls (i.e., results using the TK tables) are duds per C7.35. IFT rolls are resolved normally (of course, 12 is not usually good enough to get a result)."

So that's a new clarification to file away in the memory banks for future reference. An ITT resolution is therefore one of the few times rolling a 12 isn't especially bad (besides being very high on the IFT, that is!).

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'm with Bruce on this one. Happened in a game recently - Tom Repetti's Greyhound got an ITT CH on my HMG-toting squad in a stone building. With a -3 IFT DRM, usually a cause for celebration, but not when you roll 12 on the IFT roll :)