Gunflash and routing towards a KEU

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is a unit under a Gunflash (or an equivalent fire counter) but beyond NVR considered a KEU, thereby denying an enemy unit the ability to rout towards it (assuming LOS)?

Sean

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Gunflashes can exist even with no unit in the Location in a variety of ways. There is nothing in the rules that suggests that a gunflash is treated as a KEU in any way, nor that a unit may not rout toward a gunflash.

JR

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is nothing in the rules that suggests that a gunflash is treated as a KEU in any way, nor that a unit may not rout toward a gunflash.

JR
I agree. The rules do not equate Gunflashes/Fire Counters with KEU status. So for routing and Freedom of Movement purposes, these units are not considered (unless they become KEU some other way).

Thanks, gents!

Last edited:

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Further (I think) - the Gunflash markers are removed at the end of the AFPh so wouldn't be present at the start of the Rout Phase

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Further (I think) - the Gunflash markers are removed at the end of the AFPh so wouldn't be present at the start of the Rout Phase
This is a good point but for the fact that the rules are not that well put together. A Melee is a gunflash for as long as the Melee exists, and during the RtPh a unit may run into mines. It's not clear for the second case whether one places a gunflash counter during the RtPh, as it would remain active until the next AFPh. That seems surprising to me on first consideration (but perhaps it is so). Even assuming that no gunflash is placed during the RtPh for mine attacks, there would still be gunflashes from Melees.

JR

Last edited:

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a good point but for the fact that the rules are not that well put together. A Melee is a gunflash for as long as the Melee exists, and during the RtPh a unit may run into mines. It's not clear for the second case whether one places a gunflash counter during the RtPh, as it would remain active until the next AFPh and that would seem surprising. But even assuming that no gunflash is placed during the RtPh for mine attacks, there would still be gunflashes from Melees.

JR
Interesting nuance to that, you're right. Prep and First/Final Markers would be removed. The rules to enumerate what causes a Gunflash:
1.82 CC: CC causes a Gunflash for as long as it is covered by a Melee counter.
1.83 MINES: Mines cause a Gunflash only if they cause Casualty Reduction, or break, immobilize, or eliminate a non-Dummy unit.
1.84 MOL/FT: A MOL/FT attack creates a Gunflash in the Location actually attacked by the weapon. A FT also creates a Gunflash in its own Location.
1.85 DC/ATMM: A DC/ATMM causes a Gunflash only if the DC detonates or the ATMM causes damage to a vehicle.
1.86 SEARCHING/MOPPING UP: Searching/Mopping Up causes a Gunflash in all of the affected concealed/broken DEFENDER's Locations, provided the Searcher suffers Casualty Reduction.
1.87 SR/FFE: All hexes in the Blast Area of a HE FFE are considered marked by Gunflashes. A SR is not a Gunflash, but can be seen by Observers (only) regardless of NVR.
1.88 PIAT: A fired PIAT does not create a Gunflash.

ASOP Step 5.33B Remove all Prep Fire, Intensive Fire, No Fire and Bounding Fire counters. If night scenario, also remove all First Fire, Final Fire and Gunflash counters (E1.8).

So all Gunflashes (with the exception of the Melee and maybe the OBA blast area) are removed prior to the Rout Phase....... regardless, it doesn't make the unit a KEU, and thus wouldn't affect the Rout direction.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
After a bit more thought I think that a successful mine attack during the RtPh and/or APh as well as a successful ATMM attack during the CCPh creates a gunflash that is not removed until the AFPh of the next turn. As per the previous, a gunflash is not considered a KEU and would not affect rout.

JR

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a bit more thought I think that a successful mine attack during the RtPh and/or APh as well as a successful ATMM attack during the CCPh creates a gunflash that is not removed until the AFPh of the next turn.

JR
Walking through the sequence, I'd agree. The ASOP doesn't have any other mention of when to REMOVE the Gunflash markers except at that one point.