Gun Duels and Motion Attempts

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C2.2401 states: "Any CA change the DEFENDER requires in order to shoot (5.11) is made before the ATTACKER's shot if the DEFENDER'S total Gun Duel DRM is ≤ the ATTACKER's; otherwise its CA changes (if still able to) after the ATTACKER's shot"

If the DEFENDER's CA change entails making a Motion Attempt, is the DEFENDER's AFV considered a Moving Vehicular Target if the ATTACKER takes his shot first when the DEFENDER's DRM are higher than the ATTACKER's?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm a bit confused here. A Gun Duel is made by the ATTACKER on a DFF attack by the DEFENDER [C2.2401] (ignoring DEFENDER Gun Duels). If the DEFENDER is declaring a Motion attempt, he is not declaring a DFF attack, and a Gun Duel is not possible on declaration of a Motion Attempt.

JR

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, duh. So the Motion attempt happens first, and then he declares his DFF in response to which I can declare a Gun Duel. Since they are separate actions, he would be considered in Motion upon the declaration of his shot and consequently upon the declaration of my Gun Duel too.

Not sure why I was thinking they would happen at the same time.

Thanks!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sequence is Attacked spends a MP.
Defender decides whether to go for motion or smoke discharger.
This succeeds or fails prior to any shot by either.
The defender makes reliability rolls and can change .CA at this point and also makes bog checks for this now.

Defender decides whether to fire on attacker.
Attacker declares a gun duel.
If the defender wins the gun duel then he will have to make bog checks or reliability rolls prior to the attackers shot.
If the attacker wins the gun duel then his shot takes place prior yo the defender changing CA.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sequence is Attacked spends a MP.
Defender decides whether to go for motion or smoke discharger.
This succeeds or fails prior to any shot by either.
The defender makes reliability rolls and can change .CA at this point and also makes bog checks for this now.
Reviving this as I was just looking in the rules and can't find anything talking about this sequence. Would appreciate a rules number.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Reviving this as I was just looking in the rules and can't find anything talking about this sequence. Would appreciate a rules number.
I don't have my rule book but the Attacker can only declare a Gun Duel when the Defender declares a D1F shot. A Motion attempt is not a declaration of a shot so the Attacker cannot declare a Gun Duel. This is all in the Gun Duel rules. -- jim

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That part makes sense. I am less sure about the smoke discharger as the rules say that is not a weapon but treated as first fire,
so I wonder if it can trigger a gun duel.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That part makes sense. I am less sure about the smoke discharger as the rules say that is not a weapon but treated as first fire, so I wonder if it can trigger a gun duel.
Per this Q&A, No....

C2.2401, D13.3 & C5.35 Is the fact that a Smoke Dispenser attempt is described as “firing”
sufficient to permit the opponent's declaration of a Gun Duel (C2.2401, C5.33) vs. that usage
attempt, assuming that the other conditions for a Gun Duel are met?
A. No. [Letter265]

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Additionally, you can only declare a gun duel against a weapon tgat is attacking the moving unit. You move your halftrack up and I declare a shot with my squad, you cannot gun duel me to fire at my gun, only at my squad.
Since the sD does not target your unit....

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If an enemy AFV hoves into view and stops during its MPh, is there any reason why a friendly AFV cannot make a motion attempt and try for a smoke discharger simultaneously?